SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MAINE

AZSIOUX

Frattin certainly has shown he has Hobey calibre game...but unfortunately for him, if he does continue on a Hobey-like pace, I think he'll suffer in votes because of his off-ice issues. He seems to have cleaned himself up and has re-dedicated himself to the game, but those past issues are still there.

The Hobey Baker takes into account the best player on AND off the ice.

Frattin was a beast this weekend, his goal on Saturday night was unbelieveable.

Frattin was a beast this weekend, his goal on Saturday night was unbelieveable.

awesome play overalll. 90% of the time that puck gets dumped in as they were changing up but he grabbed it, saw the bsu defender turned and knew he could blow right by him. he beats the guy and releases that wrister and the bsu goalie had zero chance. frattin is on a different level right now and as been since last season in the 2nd half. cant wait for this test vs a very good maine squad!!!

Frattin certainly has shown he has Hobey caliber game...but unfortunately for him, if he does continue on a Hobey-like pace, I think he'll suffer in votes because of his off-ice issues. He seems to have cleaned himself up and has re-dedicated himself to the game, but those past issues are still there.

The Hobey Baker takes into account the best player on AND off the ice.

His off-ice past could effect his consideration there is no doubt about that.

But there is the chance they might look at it from the perspective of a young man that saved himself from "the wrong path" by some serious dedication to his passion hockey.

I of course can't say what he was exactly doing before he left the team last year nor can I say for sure exactly what he did when he went home but we all know a few things for sure:

1. That his problems before he left were alcohol related, suggesting he may have had a problem with alcohol which is a disease that takes tremendous determination to overcome.

2. He was invited back on the team 1/2 season earlier than his suspension. According to the coaching staff this was because of what he had demonstrated as an impressive ethic to get himself right.

3. When he came back he played on a different level, suggesting that number two above was very legit.

4. He did not stay this summer while the rest of the team did. I can't say why, but I wonder as anyone with issues with alcohol would tell you, a key to staying out of trouble is avoiding the environments that can trigger it. (his issues last year were in the summer).

5. Again, after the summer, he seems to be playing even on a different level than at the end of last season-It's a bit early to say that for sure but it is really looking that way so far..

So maybe if there is truth in what I ponder the Hobbey voters might just consider all of that in a positive way. Who knows??

His off-ice past could effect his consideration there is no doubt about that.

But there is the chance they might look at it from the perspective of a young man that saved himself from "the wrong path" by some serious dedication to his passion hockey.

I of course can't say what he was exactly doing before he left the team last year nor can I say for sure exactly what he did when he went home but we all know a few things for sure:

1. That his problems before he left were alcohol related, suggesting he may have had a problem with alcohol which is a disease that takes tremendous determination to overcome.

2. He was invited back on the team 1/2 season earlier than his suspension. According to the coaching staff this was because of what he had demonstrated as an impressive ethic to get himself right.

3. When he came back he played on a different level, suggesting that number two above was very legit.

4. He did not stay this summer while the rest of the team did. I can't say why, but I wonder as anyone with issues with alcohol would tell you, a key to staying out of trouble is avoiding the environments that can trigger it. (his issues last year were in the summer).

5. Again, after the summer, he seems to be playing even on a different level than at the end of last season-It's a bit early to say that for sure but it is really looking that way so far..

So maybe if there is truth in what I ponder the Hobbey voters might just consider all of that in a positive way. Who knows??

The drinking age in Alberta is 18. It has to be tough being told you can't legally drink @ college.... I'm glad Matt is doing well. He'll be playing for Toronto soon if he keeps it up.

The drinking age in Alberta is 18. It has to be tough being told you can't legally drink @ college.... I'm glad Matt is doing well. He'll be playing for Toronto soon if he keeps it up.

Matt is 22 going on 23 in a couple months...he's been plenty old enough to drink at college since the middle of his sophomore year, so the illegal aspect is out.

/b]Further, I have been watching the Sioux for 20 years and I have never seen a player skate, shoot and score in a style like Fratten has been since last Feb. He reminds me of Stafford but more skilled with his shot and a bit more physical. I think he might find himself on a hobbey list here in a bit...

I think he has all the Tools of a Hobey Nod, but i think the off the ice B-S would still be in voters minds...A few years back TJ Oshie was 190% better on the ice than any player in college hockey. He was mentioned as a Hobey Nominee, but i don't think he made the Hobey Hat-Trick )Off the ice B-S could have played in)...

If Fratts continues to dominate, and put up incredible numbers he will get his due. If he leads this team to an incredible record, and back's it up with Goals/Assists or GWG's I agree you could see his name on the list. It might help the Hobey cause that his problems were last season (also in voters mind's,) but with such a long college season i believe there will be other WCHA players that trump his #'s...

I love Fratts, think he has all the tools. I am pumped he rededicated himself, because we get to enjoy his passion/skill everyweekend now.

Not to mention the hypr Chay will generate come NCAA season time. If Chay doesn't score a ton but we finish with a superb record all the experts will say it was because of Chay and point to his great migrane comeback as the reason we are where we are...

Within a 2+ week span, UND will have played 6 games with travel to/from Alaska and to Maine. That is a lot of flying miles. Physically one would think, even for 18-20 year olds, that will at some point take a toll. I wouldn't be suprised by a close loss Friday, then regroup to win handily on Sat. But pulling for a sweep.

pulling for a sweep but I see it the other way-come out strong fri and win then run out of gas on sat.

this will be a great overall test 3 weeks into the season for the sioux. will simpson play 1 night again like they have been doing rolling 7 d men and 11 forwards? ill say he plays one game for sure and keeps getting better out there with experience. he was out for a late offensive zone faceoof at bsu so thats a good sign for dillon. ill say both goalies play a game like we have seen so far. kristo breaks out this weekend on the score sheet!

maybe a close 4-2 win (eng) friday and 5-3 win saturday for the green and white

pulling for a sweep but I see it the other way-come out strong fri and win then run out of gas on sat.

I think predicting a split is the wrong guess.

This is how I'm seeing things:

While it is early in the season and anything can happen in any game, and yes it is an east coast trip against a good team. Never the less I see no reason to think this team shouldn't kick some more tail this weekend and here is why. There are to many guys on this team that can make it happen offensively.

I wonder about guys like Kristo and Nelson, they fancy scoring a bunch and I have to believe very soon they are going to show guys like Fratten and Knight what they have in their bag-o-tricks themselves.

Speaking of Fratten and Knight, have we seen their peak yet? I'm thinking no, and if not then I'm wondering with wide eyes what that peak might look like??

Then I start to think about Forbort and how he is Mr. Out-of-the-gate freshey! Is he the next David Hale? I donno but he looks good everywhere on the ice that is for sure.

So if I think about Forbort, then I should ponder the whole defense. With Genoway back, Lapoint a year after his injury return, BigMAC and Blood bigger, older and inveterated, and Marto healthy to boot.

Then I think about the guys not even playing much; Gleason who looks like the next Genoway and Simpson-just a first round draft pick. Wow!!

So given all of this I just can't support the split predictions, not so far anyway...

I think predicting a split is the wrong guess.

This is how I'm seeing things:

While it is early in the season and anything can happen in any game, and yes it is an east coast trip against a good team. Never the less I see no reason to think this team shouldn't kick some more tail this weekend and here is why. There are to many guys on this team that can make it happen offensively.

I wonder about guys like Kristo and Nelson, they fancy scoring a bunch and I have to believe very soon they are going to show guys like Fratten and Knight what they have in their bag-o-tricks themselves.

Speaking of Fratten and Knight, have we seen their peak yet? I'm thinking no, and if not then I'm wondering with wide eyes what that peak might look like??

Then I start to think about Forbort and how he is Mr. Out-of-the-gate freshey! Is he the next David Hale? I donno but he looks good everywhere on the ice that is for sure.

So if I think about Forbort, then I should ponder the whole defense. With Genoway back, Lapoint a year after his injury return, BigMAC and Blood bigger, older and inveterated, and Marto healthy to boot.

Then I think about the guys not even playing much; Gleason who looks like the next Genoway and Simpson-just a first round draft pick. Wow!!

So given all of this I just can't support the split predictions, not so far anyway...

A fired up home team of Maine's caliber should be good for 2 pts (no offense to BSU)...this will be another good barometer of what UND can be this year...that being said, Go Sioux!!

A fired up home team of Maine's caliber should be good for 2 pts (no offense to BSU)...this will be another good barometer of what UND can be this year...that being said, Go Sioux!!

Hey conventional wisdom suggest you will be correct and for many reasons none less than the first half factor for the Sioux.

I just cannot ignore these visions I'm having of Sioux domination:).

This is what my friend from Maine has to say about this series:

Maine has had big expectations, but they're off to a slow start. The offense can score, as everyone expected (4.25 goals/game so far...and that's with our two leading goal scorers from a year ago having 0 and 1 respectively, so they should be due soon!)

But they've been in the box a lot, the D has been inconsistent, and the goalies are still in diapers (2 freshmen and a sophomore battling it out) All 3 have very good potential...but they need to find a groove.

They tied and lost to Michigan State in East Lansing last weekend which was a disappointment to everyone. Especially because on Thursday night, they were up 4-3 in the 3rd, and we had a guy take it in and score on an individual effort...but the refs claimed the net came off. Replay showed the puck was in before the net came off, but they were not doing replay for that game....so it should have been 5-3...instead they tied 4-4.

So it should be a very fun weekend. North Dakota is once again loaded and ready, and Maine is very good and should play hungry.

Not since Milwaukee and St Louis have I been able to watch both my favorite teams in action on the same weekend, so it should be very fun :)

Good luck to the Sioux!

This is a split series. I can't remember the last time we swept a top tier Hockey East team in the regular season, and then add the long distance road factor. Also, this is going to be the toughest competition we've seen all year, so that will be another small hurdle for the guys in green.

Friday:

Maine 4

UND 2

Saturday

UND 5

Maine 3

I'll take a sweep, though, of course. :)

This is a split series. I can't remember the last time we swept a top tier Hockey East team in the regular season, and then add the long distance road factor. Also, this is going to be the toughest competition we've seen all year, so that will be another small hurdle for the guys in green.

Friday:

Maine 4

UND 2

Saturday

UND 5

Maine 3

I'll take a sweep, though, of course. :)

UND swept Maine in 2004 at Alfond...has a road Hockey East sweep happened since then?

Our digital cable lineup shows the game on CBS C channel 412 for Friday, but I don't see it on any of the channels for Saturday. Anybody know if Saturday will be on television someplace?

The game for Friday night also looks like it is tape delayed at 10pm on CBS CS too.