SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ South Dakota

bincitysioux

I don't think this game is looking nearly as tough as it did 2 weeks ago..............

Not taking anything away from NDSU's victory over them, but the Yote's gave up nearly 350 yards rushing last night. As has been the case in the Meierkort era, their defense appears to be suspect at best. My thought is that if North Dakota can get something going on the ground in the first half with Murray, then that opens up the big play threat to Hardin.

I'm not all that worried about USD's running backs, or Dante Warren leading the Yote's with is arm...............the biggest problem for the defense will be to contain Warren when he is running, something we really struggled with at Northern Illinois.

I like North Dakota by 3 in a nailbiter......

I don't think this game is looking nearly as tough as it did 2 weeks ago..............

Not taking anything away from NDSU's victory over them, but the Yote's gave up nearly 350 yards rushing last night. As has been the case in the Meierkort era, their defense appears to be suspect at best. My thought is that if North Dakota can get something going on the ground in the first half with Murray, then that opens up the big play threat to Hardin.

I'm not all that worried about USD's running backs, or Dante Warren leading the Yote's with is arm...............the biggest problem for the defense will be to contain Warren when he is running, something we really struggled with at Northern Illinois.

Warren does seem to be a pretty good runner, but with his relative lack of size it seems quite risky for USD to let him carry the ball very often. I don't think he'll last the season if he has many more games like yesterday in terms of number of carries.

If Landry plays like he did yesterday, I like the Sioux in a high-scoring game.

If anyone cares to venture over to idiotville there seems to be a consensus that USD is going to work us. Hopefully we come out guns a blazing and handle the Yotes as we usually do.

I would think they have enough to worry about with Western Illinois without wasting valuable time pontificating about UND-USD. :silly:

I will say this much. Yeah the defense isn't that great right now for the Yotes but they tend to play D much better at home. If you are not worried about Dante beating the Sioux with his arm and the Sioux coaching staff takes that same philosophy the UND defense will be in big trouble. Warren tore up Minnesota with his arm and I know they are not the best defense in the world but don't sleep on USD's throwing ability.

The Coyotes did put up a good fight and had a 13-7 lead at half. Granted they fell apart in the second half but they were beating a fired up Bison team for quite awhile.

Yeah like everyone on this board did last week??

We where discussing a game of one of our conference members.....

You guys are obviously hung up on UND as there seems to be a new UND thread every day there. Thanks for caring so much about Fighting Sioux athletics though Danno.

I will say this much. Yeah the defense isn't that great right now for the Yotes but they tend to play D much better at home. If you are not worried about Dante beating the Sioux with his arm and the Sioux coaching staff takes that same philosophy the UND defense will be in big trouble. Warren tore up Minnesota with his arm and I know they are not the best defense in the world but don't sleep on USD's throwing ability.

The Coyotes did put up a good fight and had a 13-7 lead at half. Granted they fell apart in the second half but they were beating a fired up Bison team for quite awhile.

The Yotes ran out of gas as your defense seemed to fold the tent in the second half. It was not as much of the bison dominating up front as it was your guys just going through the motions. Your offense is pretty good.

And your right, playing at home will be a huge advantage. Playing most of the game trapped in the south end of the Fargodome with the students killed your offense and they looked like a mess. I know USD will be hungry this week and will throw everything they have at the Sioux. If this game was in the Alerus I'd say the Sioux win handily. Taking our very young team to the Dakotadome and the toughest environment we played in yet will be a challenge.

Are there many fans going down to this one It could be a hell of a game. TV on this one? Time? I am going to be in Vegas and would like to see if I could find it on TV at a sports book.....or spors bar. (The sports bar option will cost me less money). ;)

Regional TV only on Midcontinent sports channel.

I think IMO people put USD up on a pedistal after the Gophers win. But look what else they have done they got blown out against UCF, they beat a NAIA team and got blown out by NDSU. I don't think this team is that special enough to say UND is going to get thumped like on other boards. USD may have a good QB but UND hasn't lost in Vermillion since 2005 so we know what it takes to win down there and what to prepare for. 104 points in 2 games is saying something for this team.

UND 35

USD 17

I think IMO people put USD up on a pedistal after the Gophers win. But look what else they have done they got blown out against UCF, they beat a NAIA team and got blown out by NDSU. I don't think this team is that special enough to say UND is going to get thumped like on other boards. USD may have a good QB but UND hasn't lost in Vermillion since 2005 so we know what it takes to win down there and what to prepare for. 104 points in 2 games is saying something for this team.

UND 35

USD 17

I hope you are right, but I think it will be a shootout with both teams in the 40's. The winner will get a big special teams play late or an official's call will be a major factor. I really think the team that is more disciplined late in the game will win. Sioux over USD, 46-41. Go Sioux!

I hope you are right, but I think it will be a shootout with both teams in the 40's. The winner will get a big special teams play late or an official's call will be a major factor. I really think the team that is more disciplined late in the game will win. Sioux over USD, 46-41. Go Sioux!

That is the key. UND needs to have a penalty free and a turnover free game. Here is the box score from 2005 our last loss in Vermillion:

http://fightingsioux.com/fls/13500/pdf/Football%20Scores/2005/UND%20vs%20South%20Dakota.pdf

Note: Turnovers UND 2 USD 0, Weston Dressler was our leading RUSHER with36 yds on 6 carries. USD led 28-3 at Halftime UND lost 42-30 so we need to play DEFENSE!!!!

UND 35

USD 17

Exactly... It's hard to argue w/ 18 Sioux victories in the last 20 contests against USD. Including 4 in a row & both FCS games. UND's offense is starting to click & I like our running game against the Yotes defense. Murray will be hard to stop. Added bonus if Sutton is back on the field.

Close game as always in Vermillon, but the Sioux will earn #19 outta 21.

Are there many fans going down to this one It could be a hell of a game. TV on this one? Time? I am going to be in Vegas and would like to see if I could find it on TV at a sports book.....or spors bar. (The sports bar option will cost me less money). ;)

Yes, a group of us are going to the game... it is sold out so it should be a blast.. I am ready for the kickoff

Keep in mind that USD hasn't played a real D1 game at home yet so you will be getting a different team than was on the road for 3 very difficult games. How many wins do the Sioux get going to Central Florida, to Minnesota and to NDSU. That's a good question but based on your results to date 1 would be a stretch. You got blown out in one FBS game against a not great Idaho team and had a close loss in the other. You may like your offense but I like the offense of the Coyotes better. USD's defense will have the energy of the home crowd. They always play better at home. 18 of the last 20 means nothing on the field Saturday.

Keep in mind that USD hasn't played a real D1 game at home yet so you will be getting a different team than was on the road for 3 very difficult games. How many wins do the Sioux get going to Central Florida, to Minnesota and to NDSU. That's a good question but based on your results to date 1 would be a stretch. You got blown out in one FBS game against a not great Idaho team and had a close loss in the other. You may like your offense but I like the offense of the Coyotes better. USD's defense will have the energy of the home crowd. They always play better at home. 18 of the last 20 means nothing on the field Saturday.

We would lose to UCF but would beat the Gophers and the Bison game IMO would go either way. We have had great success in the Fargodome where I don't think USD has ever won there. USD would have lost to Idaho and NIU which crushed the Gophs, where we actually had a shot to win the game at the end against NIU. Energy will be high and should be a good game. Good luck!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just remember that that close loss, which UND could have won on the last play, was to a team that thoroughly dismantled the Gophers last week. I hate comparative scoring, but that makes me think that UND would have just as good a shot to beat the Gophers as the Yotes did. I'm not saying that they would have, or it was not a huge win for USD, but I think using those two games as a barometer that this should be a close game.

USD's offense scares me, but if our d-backs can keep the receivers occupied long enough and we get good pressure on Dante (and not let him scramble too much) I think that UND has a good chance of taking this game. The offense is coming around, albeit against some lackluster competition, but the confidence level is getting high based on those games. I think both teams end up in the thirties, and I'm going homer and saying the Sioux come out on top 35-31.