SiouxSports.com Forum

Is Ed Schultz Movin’ On Up?

star2city

After Ed’s on-air lambasting of Dean Blais last hockey season, is this Ed’s curtain call season as a Sioux announcer? Looks like Ed may be getting nationwide air-time soon. It’s hard to believe that Ed is so highly thought of nationally. At least he won’t be broadcasting from GF or running for ND governor!

AP  Democratic lawmakers in Washington are asking a North Dakota radio personality to take on Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and other conservative talk show hosts.

Ed Schultz, who earlier considered running for governor, has been tapped by national Democratic leaders for a talk show to start in January.

Democratic lawmakers in Washington are raising money for the show, and Democrats have pledged about $1.8 million over two years to get it off the ground, Schultz said Monday. He said a half-dozen stations are looking at whether to carry it.

"The Democrats are getting the tar beat out of them constantly by Limbaugh and Hannity, and they feel they don't have a platform," Schultz said. "There's this conservative mantra that's being jammed down the throats of the American people, and the other side of the story is not being told."

Schultz is the host of "News and Views," a talk show on Fargo's KFGO radio, which he said will continue in its usual slot from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. The national show is planned to run from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Central time, and Schultz will broadcast from both Fargo and Washington, he said.

"I think it can be an advantage having him broadcast from Fargo because it really is middle America," said Amy Bolton, general manager of Colorado-based Jones Radio, which is marketing the program. "A vast majority of listeners are in rural areas."

State Democrats had considered Schultz a possible candidate to run against Republican Gov. John Hoeven, who is announcing his re-election campaign on Wednesday.

"I had every intention of running for governor until this project came up," Schultz said. "I think I can fry more fish and help more people have more of an impact if this goes."

Hoeven had no comment about Schultz's national show.

Jason Stverak, director of the North Dakota Republican Party, said he will be waiting to see how many radio stations will broadcast Schultz's show.

"Ed is very good at whipping up people's passions about issues and getting them involved," Stverak said. "That is always something you have to be cognizant of."

As an issues advocate, Schultz has not always been effective, Stverak said, citing Schultz's support of a Democratic-backed ballot measure that sought to offer tax breaks and tuition incentives for young people to live in North Dakota. The proposal lost in the November 2002 elections, with 67 percent of the voters opposing it.

"It was three hours a day on the Ed Schultz show saying why we need (the ballot measure), and the thing went down big," Stverak said.

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said Schultz impressed Senate Democrats at a meeting in Washington about a year ago, after Democracy Radio officials approached Schultz about the job. Democracy Radio was founded by Tom Athens, the husband of Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich.

"He knocked their socks off," Dorgan said. "To say that Ed has a competitive drive is probably an understatement. He's a pusher and a fighter, but he's also an entertaining guy.

Schultz said ownership of the new talk show will be divided among himself, Democracy Radio, Jones Radio and Media Syndication Services, a radio production company.

He said the six stations that are considering the show are in South Carolina, Virginia and Michigan. Jones Radio, which handles programming for about 600 stations, also is affiliated with NFL and college football broadcasts, which interests Schultz, who currently handles play-by-play for University of North Dakota football.

"There's going to be a natural growth process to this," Schultz said. "And if it grows, it's going to grow on its own merits, not because Democracy Radio is buying markets."

The show also will be available on satellite, Schultz said.

"People are either going to love Ed or they're going to hate Ed," said Paul Woodhull, president and CEO of Media Syndication Services. "That's what makes him so compelling. You have an instant reaction as a listener."

Democracy Radio officials said only 40 liberal talk show hosts in the country are making a profit, and Schultz is rated No. 1 among them.

I'm honored to be given this opportunity, but I think I've earned it," Schultz said.

Hey, cool. Maybe he can get "The Paul Wellstone Singers" to show up and nauseate me during drivetime. "Everybody is different, everybody's the same ..."

Ed Schultz? I thought he was the biggest Limbaugh lovin' neo-con in the F-M area a few years ago? WTF? Did some $$$ turn him into a granola eating, Volvo driving, latte sipping candy-ass? God knows he could use the extra support a Volvo offers, but this is interesting ...

I have nothing positive to say about Ed Schultz. Talk about a person who goes with the flow of things. A couple summers ago I built a deck with a guy and the only thing he listened to on the radio was Ed Schultz. Back then Ed was leading the conservative charge, and now because money is on the table he magically takes a liberal approach to issues, and has started Bush bashing. :)

He lost my trust when he went on the Dean Blais rage last year. I have never seen a radio personality go absolutely ballistic like he did. Dean decided to stay with his team and probably would have gone on his show another time, but Ed being the pompous ass that he is decided he should act like a three year old. :)

I am a pretty hardcore liberal, and I sure don't like the fact that Ed Schultz is the number one liberal talk person on radio.....UGH!

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Ed started out doing talk radio wasn't he very conservative? Maybe I am mixing him up with someone else, but I though several years ago in Fargo he had a conservative talk show called "Talk Back" or something like that....anyone out there know?

No WYO, you've got the right guy in mind.

It's amazing to me how Ed went from conservative to liberal right around the same time that (conservative) Scott Hennen took over as the Program Director at WDAY-AM, the head-to-head competitor of KFGO, and is in the same time slot as Ed.

Yes, that is the Scott Hennen who is the PA announcer for Fighting Sioux hockey at REA.

In defense of poor Eddie, he does have some good points. He doesn't screen the phone calls on his show, and he will take action for a cause he believes in. My father had an "issue" with the city of Fargo a couple years ago and he called in to Ed's show. Ed took his call, and after hearing what he said he told him to get down to the studio and they would get something done about it. They talked about it on the air for over an hour on the show, and miraculously the city resolved the "issue" the next day.

I think Eddie had his change of political thinking because the Republicans wouldn't commit to promoting him for election. That and it's a lot harder to make it in conservative radio. :) It's a lot like his change of face after he found out that NDSU wanted WDAY to do their games, instead of Eddie after he left.

"I had every intention of running for governor until this project came up," Schultz said.

I think that quote tells the whole story about Ed's change of politics. He was PO'd when Hoeven got the nod from the Republicans in 2000 and he knows that if he wants to be governor, it won't be as a Republican. The only way Eddie was going to get a foot in the political door was by making an about face and crawling into bed with ND's three popular congressmen, who happen to be Democrats.

WYOBISON,

A Bison fan and to top it off, a liberal? Wow, some people do have it rough. :)

I think that quote tells the whole story about Ed's change of politics. He was PO'd when Hoeven got the nod from the Republicans in 2000 and he knows that if he wants to be governor, it won't be as a Republican. The only way Eddie was going to get a foot in the political door was by making an about face and crawling into bed with ND's three popular congressmen, who happen to be Democrats.

WYOBISON,

A Bison fan and to top it off, a liberal? Wow, some people do have it rough. :D

Ed Schultz apparently blew a gasket after the person he supported didn't get the nod. The guys is a blithering idiot and a cry baby. Ed is not fit to carry Dean Blaises jock strap. I remember he was on the air with Hennen down in Fargo when Bush was in Fargo after he got elected to President. Now ED is snuggling up to the dems and kissing Dorgan's, Conrad's and Pomeroy's asses. Ed is a wolf in sheeps clothing, first he is a Bison announcer, then he is a Sioux announcer, he switches allegance when ever it suits him best. Republican and now he is a Democrat.

Ed schultz also has no chance of winning the governorship in any state the guy is a complete moron and the Dems are really desperate if they hire this clown.

Goon,

I think you have a short memory....Jesse Ventura was actually the Governor of Minnesota for 4 years. ;) The ND voters are not the most complicated lot....Look at our congressional delegation. :D I know that they are always "fighting for ND" and they own 2 flannel shirts that the 3 of them share. ;) . If it was a "fight", I think the referee would have stopped it years ago.

I think his switch in political allegiance is hardly noteworthy. Afterall, Minnesota's new senator, Norm whatshisname, was a card carrying Democrat and now he's listed as Republican. No one is calling him a snake... to my knowledge.

Just remember folks, not all Democrats are flame mouthed extreme liberals. Not all Republicans are Rush Limbaugh style conservatives. There are good Democrats and there are good Republicans. Unfortunately, it takes a lot for them to get elected because the rotten ones usually have all the money.

Just remember folks, not all Democrats are flame mouthed extreme liberals. Not all Republicans are Rush Limbaugh style conservatives. There are good Democrats and there are good Republicans.

That's a fact. I remember voting for 3 Republicans and 7 Democrats in the 2002 elections. I do my research and make my own decision on who I think is the best person for the job.

I guess I'll have to tune in Sunday morning for Ed's big debut. I doubt if I will agree with him on a lot of issues, but I find it interesting that the voice of the Sioux is now the voice for national liberal talk radio.... ;) That's gotta irk some folks here!

Let's Go Sioux! Beat Yale! Beat George W's School! See...we're all Liberals this weekend! :D

On Buchanan and Press on MSNBC on Monday, debating Laura Ingraham. Should be interesting because Schultz likes to refer to Ingraham, Coulter, Serafin as the Blonde Bimbo Brigade.

Oh man, i can't wait to see that. Laura Ingraham will eat him alive! One thing about Ed, true radio hosts know the issues inside and out and he DOES NOT know them. Like President Bush said when he came to Fargo a couple of years ago, "you've got a face made for radio." I almost pissed myselft I laughed so hard. Ed better know the issues inside and out or he will get crushed over the airwaves.