SiouxSports.com Forum

GABORIK GONE

01grad

:) I was just watching channel 5 news here in the T.C. and they said that talks today with Gaborik didn't work out and he will be going back to Slovakia. They said he will be leaving Minnesota and doesn't want to stay in this situation. This is the first I have heard and am waiting for the 6:00 news to hear more about it. Anybody else hear anything? This is big news and I am a little skeptic that only one news channel mentioned something about it, but they did. I wonder what this will do to the rest of the teams morale? Sure they will shrug it off and say it doesn't matter, but it will. They probably thought he would eventually sign like the rest of us. This is a big mistake for the franchise.

Yep, it's true. I just heard it on WCCO radio. He is already gone. I guess he thought he should have been paid more since they made the playoffs last year and it was because of him. It's a good thing that college players aren't paid or else the world would be an even bigger greedy mess. I guess that's just the beauty of college hockey. They know that the money will be coming someday, but the key is that it isn't there just yet.

Here is the statement from the Wild.

http://www.wild.com/team/003/566/

Yep, it's true. I just heard it on WCCO radio. He is already gone. I guess he thought he should have been paid more since they made the playoffs last year and it was because of him. It's a good thing that college players aren't paid or else the world would be an even bigger greedy mess. I guess that's just the beauty of college hockey. They know that the money will be coming someday, but the key is that it isn't there just yet.

What the hell are the wild thinking... Gaborik was the next Joe Sakic, and they let him slip away. He was their biggest offensive threat last year and they let him leave. @#($!!!!!

What the hell are the wild thinking... Gaborik was the next Joe Sakic, and they let him slip away. He was their biggest offensive threat last year and they let him leave. @#($!!!!!

*eats crow again* WPoS is right. It tastes like Chicken...

It can be taken in two directions: The organization's fault, meaning that they didn't cave and give him what he wanted based on what players who have similar roles on other teams are getting -OR- it's the player's fault, pulling an Eric Lindros and basically throwing a hissy fit over not getting enough money.

What does this mean for Gaborik? Uncertain. HOWEVER, the one answer is obvious: Trade. The Boston Bruins were in the same situation with Anson Carter a few years back. The Bruins shopped around and found someone who would pick up his contract at the asked price. The Bruins signed him and then shipped him to Edmonton. Obviously, Carter didn't stay in Edmonton (He's a Ranger now) but the point still stands. Organizationally, this is what the Wild need to do.

Forecheck asked if holdouts effect morale. Well, from the looks of it, this is when it DOES affect morale. The Wild organization needs to trade him and trade him SOON if they plan on doing anything this season with Gaborik.

Who's fault is it? (This is my opinion) I think it is the sports agent's fault mostly but the Wild ownership is partially to blame as well. Remember, the Wild GM may represent the organization in contract negotiations, but the ownership controls the money. If the ownership doesn't give the GM the requested money, then the GM can only blow sunshine. I would not blame Wild GM, or anyone lower on the totem pole for this occurrance. I would also not blame Gaborik. He's being told what he is worth by his agent. And, like Dagies states, his agents are crooks.

Start shopping folks, let's see who is available.

I'm only interested in this for one reason:

To see the mindset of owners and players as the current NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) comes to an end at the end of this NHL season.

The owners of the Wild are sticking to a lower cost solution. The players want the money.

What did Dupuis want? What did he get? What did Gaborik want? What was the offer?

Seeing the Wild let their best skater leave the country tells me that the sides are not anywhere close and that the NHL may not start up again in 12 months because of the lack of a new CBA.

The status of CBA negotiations will definitely affect NHL team thoughts about signing collegians between now and the a new CBA.

The Wild have been offering Gaborik the best deal in NHL history for guy his age/experience at base, and it has incentives built in that would make him one of the best paid players at his experience level. Gaborik and his agents are trying to lock-in a mega-deal before the CBA comes up for renewal, and everybody knows the players' bargaining positions will be limited after that. The economics of the NHL dictate shaving players' salaries at some point, as the NHL doesn't have the fanbase of other major sports or the TV revenue. (Don't even get me started on Bettman's ego-fueled expansion drives :) ). In any event, if Gaborik wants to play hockey, he can make a good deal of money doing it and proving he's worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Mondano and Sakic. Or he can go back to Slovakia and wait for them to get color TV. :):)

And yes, the "Word" around MSP is that the Wild will probably shop Gaborik in the future to bring in more depth and seasoning.

The Wild have been offering Gaborik the best deal in NHL history for guy his age/experience at base, and it has incentives built in that would make him one of the best paid players at his experience level. Gaborik and his agents are trying to lock-in a mega-deal before the CBA comes up for renewal, and everybody knows the players' bargaining positions will be limited after that. The economics of the NHL dictate shaving players' salaries at some point, as the NHL doesn't have the fanbase of other major sports or the TV revenue. (Don't even get me started on Bettman's ego-fueled expansion drives :) ). In any event, if Gaborik wants to play hockey, he can make a good deal of money doing it and proving he's worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Mondano and Sakic. Or he can go back to Slovakia and wait for them to get color TV. :):)

And yes, the "Word" around MSP is that the Wild will probably shop Gaborik in the future to bring in more depth and seasoning.

I mostly agree. The only difference I have, and that is only based on what Barreiro has been saying (I don't know the numbers myself) is that Gabby's incentive numbers are way out there and would be almost impossible to reach. If so, then maybe the incentives shouldn't be factored into the equation and the Wild's offer doesn't appear quite so generous.

Regardless, the Wild IS offering a significantly higher GUARENTEED salary on a yearly basis regardless over last year regardless of how Gabby wants to portray it.

At this point both sides seem dug in and I wonder if we'll ever see Gaborik in a Wild uni again.

Numbers from the Pioneer Press

Pioneer Press

In a terse statement released by agent David Schatia, Gaborik said he had presented general manager Doug Risebrough with a three-year offer for $4.4 million a season. That was about what he earned in base salary and bonuses the past two seasons and considerably less than the $19.5 million, three-year deal that previous agent Allan Walsh had proposed.

But Risebrough told Gaborik in meetings Oct. 16 and 21 that the Wild will not budge from their last offer of three years at an average of $3.15 million a season. In doing so, Risebrough retraced the line he publicly drew earlier this month.

From what I've heard, NHL players can't become free agents until they are age 31. The only option younger players have is to hold-out.

Who cares about the Wild? I think it's safe to assume that most of us have been following the NHL since long before the Wild ever existed. I don't care about the Wild any more than I care about the Trashers, Panthers, or Lightning. I thought the Western Conference Finals last year between the Wild and the Mighty Ducks was uninteresting. Expansion teams don't do anything for me. I like teams that have been around since the late '70s/early '80s. My favorite NHL team is Pittsburgh, but I also like the Canadiens, Stars, Bruins, Blackhawks, etc...

Agreed. This is a Sioux message board. Pro sports is different, and many of us follow other teams that were in existence long before the Wild. I'm a Red Wings fan and they are certainly better than the Wild, but I'm sure most of you would not care to hear about them on this board. There must be a Wild board somewhere.

At some point these greedy little NHL players have to held accountable for not signing. It's stupid to think the Wild aren't offering Gaborik enough money. I have no idea what figures the Wild were offering Gaborik but what the heck does a person need $5 million a year rather than say $4 million. What are you going to buy your second Escalade or your second house. These dang professional athletes are so overpaid it's not even funny. It makes them think that they are on a different level from everyone else in society.

In my opinion, it's better for the Wild organization that Gaborik acted like a baby now rather than later. No team can win with a whiny little punk that thinks he is better than everyone. It never works. Look at the Yankees and Lakers, don't look at the Red Wings some how they do it with an all-star team. Also, you could look at Gopher hockey. I've never seen so many whiny little punks in all of my life :) .

I say let the greedy little punk go back to Slovakia and live in his dumpy little apartment and play his European hockey. The Wild did the right thing in not budging from their offer.

If they don't sign Gaborik, think there will be any kind of backlash from the fans?

The Wild keeps saying that they don't need to sign him, because they are still filling the seats of the Xcel.

IMO, I don't really think there will be too much of a backlash if the Wild don't sign Gaborik this season. Even around the X, where I split seasons, there's not alot of sympathy for him. His agents have staked out a fringe position, and pretty much made him look like a spoiled brat. A guaranteed base equal to last seasons' incentive-laden contract makes him look lazy, and that doesn't really play well around here. Contrast that with Garnett. He signed a mega-deal, and nobody really batted an eye. His agent and Taylor worked well together and got it done, no holdouts, no BS.

I believe the Wild still retain Gaborik's rights a few years down the road, regardless if there's a strike or not, or whether he signs now or not. If he is signed by another team, through an offer sheet, I think the Wild would be entitled to a boatload of first round picks. The cynic in me says they are working to keep Gaborik around in order to build the team up with more "stars" of various experience levels, and he'll probably end up being dealt away down the road.

It is best if the Wild, trade Gaborik at this point

First, Gabby's base contract already made him the highest paid player at his experience level, the incentives were gravy on top of that. The incentives were not easy to achieve, but certainly not impossible, and that is the way incentives should be. If you are a 50 goal scorer, your base salary is for a 50 goal scorer, your incentives should push you as a player to become a 60 goal scorer.

Incentives are just that, incentive to become a better player.

Secondly, Gaborik's agent screwed up big time when he stated that Gabby was the one who did everything for the Wild last year and they would be no where without him. :) There are 19 other teammates that either set him up directly or indirectly for every point he got last year. That comment alone has put must of the Wild fan base on the side of the Wild organization.

Finally, the agent that Gaborik has, actually had 8 guys holding out this year, if I remember the article, he only represents 8 NHL guys total also. The agent is doing it for himself, not for the players. I saw that somebody stated, that it isn't Gabrorik's fault because it is the agent saying everything. BUT the agent is an employee of Gaborik's. Gabby employs this person to represent him, if he didn't like what he was saying or doing, he could "can his ass".

I know my boss would fire me, if I misrepresented the company, and made him look like a jerk.

IF minny trades gabby, they better get some talent in return. No one younger than him either. The fans may still be there now, but if minny starts rebuilding now they become the Panthers. I don't even think the Panthers have made it to the playoffs since being swept by the Red Wings in like 98.

This came from the star trib and might clarify a few things on gabby's rights:

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Marian Gaborik's whereabouts remain a mystery.

"He's not in Montreal," said agent David Schatia, who lives and works in Montreal. "Never was. He wants to get away to somewhere that he can focus on his workouts and practicing and getting razor-sharp so he's ready if and when he comes back."

A few clarifications as Gaborik's holdout continues:

If they don't sign Gaborik, think there will be any kind of backlash from the fans?

Why would there be? Lemaire has shown in the past that the roles on his successful teams are interchangable. If we can't sign him, trade him to someone who can, and get someone else to step in and fill his role.

Minnesota's successes the past three seasons began behind the bench. Hiring Lemaire was the best decision the Wild made in starting up their franchise. Attributing the teams success to one player is just ridiculous to me.