2010 NHL Draft

AZSIOUX

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brock Nelson to NYI at number 30.

"I'm just glad he's going to North Dakota........"--TSN

Plenty of praise for UND from the TSN staff regarding both first round picks and a special feature that highlighted how the Minnesota Mr Hockey selections haven't exactly panned out over the past few years. One comment "Fischer is a bust" Therefore, they see risk in selecting Bugstain in the first round.

hopefully garth snow doesn't yank him early.

Probably won't. So far he's said nothing about Gregoire. I would like to know what he does think of UND though.

His attitude towards college hockey baffles me as he went the NCAA route. Maybe his time at Maine wasn't a positive experience.

Comments like this must drive all the Major Junior boosters crazy! They would love College Hockey to have zero draft picks if it was possible. Sorry boys, not going to happen! :D:)

True that. We can all rail on Minnesota fans or any other fanbase in college hockey for arrogance but all of those NCAA arrogant fanbases can be combined and it still wouldn't equal the condescending arrogant attitudes mj fans seem to possess.

Plenty of praise for UND from the TSN staff regarding both first round picks and a special feature that highlighted how the Minnesota Mr Hockey selections haven't exactly panned out over the past few years. One comment "Fischer is a bust" Therefore, they see risk in selecting Bugstain in the first round.

I didn't see much of any worth in Blake Wheeler when he was drafted and Bjugstad looks similar to Wheeler in size and ability. The difference is that Bjugstad was drafted about where his talent level projects. So what I'm saying is that Bjugstad may actually pan out and has a far better chance to do so then Fischer

I don't know what Bjugstad will show at the collegiate level, but if he uses his size with the skillset he's shown in high school, he'll be very very good.

But yeah, Fischer is a bust. I hope Fischer got a decent degree at UMN. Because, like most NCAA athletes, he'll be going pro in something other than sports.

Question:

Is Colton St. Clair draft eligible? Or is he eligible next year?

Bjugstad has better hands and will be more of a scorer than Wheeler. Wheeler plays more of a power game, even though their size is similar.

Yeah, what stickboy said. :D

That's what I was trying to get at.

One Mr. Hockey bust doesn't make a trend.

I think Bjugstad will be just fine.... as soon as he turns pro. :)

LA Kings GM on UND Program

A product of the USA Hockey program, Forbort is from Duluth, Minnesota, and played high school hockey for Duluth East. He was a member of the national team that won the 2010 World Championships in January, posting a +9 rating. He has committed to attending the University of North Dakota (Matt Greene's alma mater) this fall, and Lombardi mentioned his high level of comfort in taking a player headed for that program.

"He’s going to a great program," Lombardi commented. "When you get a defenseman that size, with that type of range, there’s a lot of upside. We like where he’s going to be (attending UND); with our reserve list, we can do that now. We can put a kid in college and let him go, as long as he’s in a good program... obviously, we had some inside knowledge: Tony Gasparini, his dad was the legendary coach there at North Dakota, so we were connected there in terms of the type of kids they pick. (The hockey program at) North Dakota is like (the football program at) USC. They get good players, the right players."

I didn't see much of any worth in Blake Wheeler when he was drafted and Bjugstad looks similar to Wheeler in size and ability. The difference is that Bjugstad was drafted about where his talent level projects. So what I'm saying is that Bjugstad may actually pan out and has a far better chance to do so then Fischer

But yeah, Fischer is a bust. I hope Fischer got a decent degree at UMN. Because, like most NCAA athletes, he'll be going pro in something other than sports.

The TSN Analysts were discussing Minnesota Mr Hockey Selections so how do you bring Blake Wheeler into the discussion. Please do some research first and check out the actual winners before responding. You will quickly uncover that you have to go all the way back to 2000 to find a MN Mr Hockey who has panned out as a regular NHL player. Once they leave highschool most of them never live up to the hype.

The perception of UND as a development ground seems to be much better than "some other schools". :D

I think you're right, you don't hear NHL people and sport page columnist from NHL cities complaining about UND's recruits not developing and getting better like some other schools. Cough, Cough, Cough!!!

The TSN Analysts were discussing Minnesota Mr Hockey Selections so how do you bring Blake Wheeler into the discussion. Please do some research first and check out the actual winners before responding. You will quickly uncover that you have to go all the way back to 2000 to find a MN Mr Hockey who has panned out as a regular NHL player. Once they leave highschool most of them never live up to the hype.

I think it's because they are a bunch of prima donnas...

Only looking at Mr. Hockey winners is too narrow of a sample. Just because a player wins that award doesn't mean he's the best pro prospect.

Only looking at Mr. Hockey winners is too narrow of a sample. Just because a player wins that award doesn't mean he's the best pro prospect.

Adding "will be future gopher" to the Mr. Hockey does tell a better story.

... although NHL scouts have a big influence on who wins the award. More often than not, Mr. Hockey ends up being the first Minn HS player drafted.

I think you're right, you don't hear NHL people and sport page columnist from NHL cities complaining about UND's recruits not developing and getting better like some other schools. Cough, Cough, Cough!!!

Just curious, in the history of their programs, does anyone knows how many UND players have been drafted in the NHL compared to Minnesota and how many of those players played in the NHL?

Just curious, in the history of their programs, does anyone knows how many UND players have been drafted in the NHL compared to Minnesota and how many of those players played in the NHL?

Go look it up you have the internet... ;):)