SiouxSports.com Forum

Minor Bar Trouble for the Boys

jk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that where the hockey players go the girls will follow. (No offense to the females on this board)

The owner of The Edge wants the hockey players there, underage or not, because the hockey players bring in the girls and all the girls bring in the other guys, which makes for a packed bar and a nice cashflow! That is bar ownership 101, isn't it?!

Ah yes... and we were there... hoping to take home any scraps thrown to the side. :D

PS - I have a stop/PC/constitutional law argument pending before Judge Kirk... do I have a shot?

The 7th graders I teach do more drinking than I do. The worst part is social services is too backed up to do anything.

Was anyone in Providence? After the game we found a keg in the arena and everyone started drinking. Then the NCAA stepped in so we moved to some bar. When we got to the airport, beer just appeared and we all had a good time (including the team). Lots of us were underage.

I'm sure almost every player drinks, they shouldn't be at a bar whether they are doing it or not. I'd like to think our players have some intelligence.

What really made me think was there first court appearance is Nov 5. I don't know if something like this would be handled in one court appearance or not(I am sure the lawyers on the board could help) but if it is just one appearance and they are suspended it would probably be for the Minny series. Not a good deal. That would be a big setback to the team if that is how it played out

What really made me think was there first court appearance is Nov 5.  I don't know if something like this would be handled in one court appearance or not(I am sure the lawyers on the board could help) but if it is just one appearance and they are suspended it would probably be for the Minny series.  Not a good deal.  That would be a big setback to the team if that is how it played out

Why would the suspensions have to be for the Minnesota series? They should be suspended right away regardless of the court outcome.

Although this is different than the Brandt case because obviously if they would have had to be in the bar to get cited where as there could have been the possibility of Jake being innocent I know Blais said he was going to wait until after the court date to punish Jake. I am sure something will be figured out though so it works out well for the Minny series

I think Blais got it right if he did what I have been hearing... He apparently has banned ALL of his players from bars until after Christmas. I think this is a good move on his part, maybe the older guys will be more proactive about keeping their younger teamates out of bars. I have no way of verifying this, it is just what I read on one of the boards, but I thought it was a good idea. :)

I think Blais got it right if he did what I have been hearing... He apparently has banned ALL of his players from bars until after Christmas. I think this is a good move on his part, maybe the older guys will be more proactive about keeping their younger teamates out of bars. I have no way of verifying this, it is just what I read on one of the boards, but I thought it was a good idea. :)

I will verify it. I posted it on USCHO; the whole team is banned from the bar scene until x-mas break. I also think that this is a good move on his part. I still have no idea if Blais will take any further action on Parise and Smaby for actually getting caught in the ordeal, or if he will view the "team punishment" as punishment enough.

I don't think what happened deserves a suspension. I'm a law and order type of guy, but this is such an incredibly insignificant indiscretion that I don't think it warrants a suspension. I'm not aware of other coaches suspending players for merely being in a bar underage or for underage drinking. I'm not sure why Blais needs to set a precedent in this case. The only caveat to my position is if Blais knew what was going on and specifically told his players to stay away from there. Then they should be suspended for disregarding their coach's order, but not for the actual indiscretion.

People on this board are coming down harder on the boys than the posters over at POI. I think we all need to lighten up a little. :)

On a related note, in many Minnesota cities, they are de-criminalizing "crimes" like this and are turning them into administrative citations (like speeding tickets) to make more administrative money for the City rather than having "fines" go to the the State coffers. Hopefully this trend continues.

People on this board are coming down harder on the boys than the posters over at POI. I think we all need to lighten up a little. :)

The driving force behind any comments I've made is selfishness. Anytime a player's indiscretions come to light, especially during the season, even if they are minor in nature, that player runs the risk of sanctions. One possibility is suspension.

And as an ardent fan, one who wants to see UND do well and be victorious, I would much rather attend games and see the players on the ice and not sitting next to me in the stands due to an indiscretion.

You'd think that if Blais was going to give suspensions for the bar incident that something would have been mentioned by now. I mean, we're only three days away until the Yale series. Plus, it is kind of hard to just punish Parise and Smaby with suspensions just because they were the only two to get caught.

You'd think that if Blais was going to give suspensions for the bar incident that something would have been mentioned by now. I mean, we're only three days away until the Yale series. Plus, it is kind of hard to just punish Parise and Smaby with suspensions just because they were the only two to get caught.

He was going to bench Greene last year for getting caught (a lot) by the ref, although there were many other penalties. :)

If I were a bettin' man, I'd lay my next paycheck down on Redwing77 to start one--he appears to be the master pollster :)

I'd bench Zach for physical reasons but would tell him it's because of the bar incident; Blais would probably face less resistance that way :)

BAH HUMBUG! :)

Not to appear overconfident, I'd bet that they will NOT play. Here's why:

The Sioux need to figure out how best to put points on the board when Zach is not in the equation. We don't want to be a one line team and taking Zach out voluntarily isn't an option. With an infraction, you can work on this dilemma and still have a viable reason for sitting Zach out. No, I'm not saying that Blais is hoping that Zach gets in trouble, but whenever a team takes the ice, they head right to Zach. If they can make the Sioux offense into a threat without Zach, just think about what it will be like with him on the ice?

With Matt- Blais doesn't take any crap. PERIOD. He will not tolerate a freshman foisting an attitude of invulnerability. It's a "know your role" type of thing.

I would be willing to bet that the Coaches are not going to sit the players in question for something minor like this. Big whoop they got a Minor. Be happy they aren't fighting in the bars down town. I am sure the players were talked to, but who knows.

The Sioux need to figure out how best to put points on the board when Zach is not in the equation. We don't want to be a one line team and taking Zach out voluntarily isn't an option. With an infraction, you can work on this dilemma and still have a viable reason for sitting Zach out. No, I'm not saying that Blais is hoping that Zach gets in trouble, but whenever a team takes the ice, they head right to Zach. If they can make the Sioux offense into a threat without Zach, just think about what it will be like with him on the ice?

I'm sure the Sioux will get plenty of time to find out how the offense works without Zach from Dec 27 - Jan 5. :)

so in other words it is ok as long as others do it, but don't get caught?!?! C'mon! There is some scary repercussions to thinking like that!

IMO, the small matter won't have them benched...but then again, you guys don't care what Gopehrs fans think anyways! :) And in that case I say throw the book at 'em! :)

WPoS