SiouxSports.com Forum

Minor Bar Trouble for the Boys

jk

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...rts/7080332.htm

Hockey players issued citations

Two UND hockey players were issued citations for minor on the premises over the weekend in Grand Forks.

Sophomore forward Zach Parise, 19, and freshman defenseman Matt Smaby, 19, were cited by Grand Forks police at The Edge bar in downtown Grand Forks.

Two Boston College hockey players, sophomore defenseman Peter Harrold, 20, and junior forward Ryan Murphy, 20, also were cited for minor on the premises.

The charges were issued late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, and the four are scheduled to make their first appearance in Grand Forks District Court on Nov. 5.

-------------------------------------

Hate to be the one to break the bad news, but Iguess it'll be out anyway. I can't believe college students drink at age 19.

Maybe they should be suspended for the Yale series.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops. They *should* know better. :D Anyway, I'm sure Blais will deal with them accordingly, with a benching or extra "attention". If the bar is lucky, they might keep their license ...

When I was on campus, it was pretty common for underage players to be in the bars, especially the Antique, and at house parties. Generally, the cops would "look the other way" if the guys were behaving themselves. However, I recall a couple of minor players who got busted for whatever reason, and Gino made them do sprints until they puked.

They (the GF police) continue to be very concerned about the incidents of underage drinking by the team at The Edge, of which they are well aware.

I brought this up back in August with the hope that someone on this board with strong connections to the players would tell them that the police continue actively watching The Edge and as a forewarning that it was simply a matter of time before a player or two or more got busted there and again, with the hope, that the team would find a new hangout, one that is not under constant police scrutiny.

I realize these players work hard in all aspects of their college lives and should be allowed to have some fun, but I just wish they would find a new hangout.

The upside in all of this, and coming from the supervising officer on the scene Saturday night, is that the four players were not cited for minor consuming as there was no evidence of consumption on their part. The other upside, the police did not have the foresight to station an officer at the backdoor, if they had there might have been more citations issued to the other underage players that were able to get out that door before having their id's checked.

The downside, with Brandt being suspended a game by Blais for a criminal indiscretion, I don't think DB will have any choice but to also suspend Parise and Smaby for a game. Thankfully, we have Yale up next and that gives ZP more time to heal.

lol, well if the police and bars want to crack down on this every weekend, all of our minors who are athletes might get in trouble.

Just to reiterate, the police are not going out of their way to bust underage drinkers in GF. Obviously, they know it goes on, but they have bigger things to worry about most of the time.

However, they are very concerned about the underage drinking in THE EDGE!!!

Although it is not a huge deal, it is still is no laughing matter when one of college hockey's bright young stars is charged with a crime of any sort, especially during the season!

I don't know if suspensions are really in order in this case. I don't think you can equate being in the bar underage with what Brandt did.

It appears the boys weren't drinking, and that's a distinction that I believe is important. Yes, they weren't supposed to be in the bar but not drinking was a pretty smart move on their part. As for me, being in the bar underage but not drinking is pretty much akin to speeding or some other minor offense.

Run them until they puke? That seems reasonable to me...

I don't know if suspensions are really in order in this case.

As for me, being in the bar underage but not drinking is pretty much akin to speeding or some other minor offense.

Run them until they puke? That seems reasonable to me...

I am with you, Dagies, and I hope DB sees it that way.

Of note, the standard fine in GF County for Minor on Premises is actually higher than for Minor Consuming, which strikes me as odd!

Is there a difference between the severity of any punishment that might be dealt out with "being on the premises" vs. minor comsupmtion? Personally I think it's silly that someone must register for the draft, but they can't have a beer :D . I think a better control on underage drinking would be some kind of driving curfew (midnight?). My 2 cents.

Hate to be the one to break the bad news, but Iguess it'll be out anyway. I can't believe college students drink at age 19.

It is obvious to me that either jk did not go to college or has not been their for a long while. Kids drink when they're in high school now days.

It is obvious to me that either jk did not go to college or has not been their for a long while. Kids drink when they're in high school now days.

I think you failed to recognize the sarcasm in his statement.

For myself, I don't remember anything from age 19-21. :D

I don't see why this is news? I had a friend who was a bouncer at the Edge. They saw athletes all the time. They don't really card all that much either. The fact is: Underage drinking is a problem. It will always be a problem until the drinking age is lowered to 18. THEN and ONLY THEN, will the drinking problem move down to where 15 year olds are frequenting the Edge :D

Seriously folks, underage drinking is a problem in this country, but what is more important? Preventing alcohol use or alcohol abuse? Look at Europe. Yeah, they have their problem areas and their drunks and stoners, but the ideals behind their view on alcohol is very good. Social drinking is allowed while drinking to get drunk (except on Octoberfest) is largely frowned upon. French people have a glass of wine with their dinner every night. This I find not at all disturbing. If you go every night to Bucs to get plastered, then you need help. It's those people we should be targetting, not the glass of wine at dinner crowd.

I was a bouncer and The Edge/Jonesey's in the mid-90's during college... and, for some reasons, hot young women always seemed to have "valid" ID's... even if it showed them as 40 year old Asian men.

Why do players go there despite the constant watch of police... simple... BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE THE WOMEN GO!!!

As my law school hockey T-Shirt says... "Hockey players are good at two things... and hockey's the other one!" :D

Aye, Schmidtdoggydog.

Why do players go there despite the constant watch of police... simple... BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE THE WOMEN GO!!!

I have a feeling that where the hockey players go the girls will follow. (No offense to the females on this board)

The owner of The Edge wants the hockey players there, underage or not, because the hockey players bring in the girls and all the girls bring in the other guys, which makes for a packed bar and a nice cashflow! That is bar ownership 101, isn't it?!

Only in this country can you be old enough to go to war and die, but damned if you consume an alcoholic beverage before the age of 21.

Back when I was in college, you could drink 3.2 beer at 18. What was so wrong with that? Look how I turned out. :D:(

PCM

Don't want you to date yourself if you don't want to, but was this in the late 60's, early 70's? Before the federal government mandated all states bring their drinking age up to 21 or risk losing federal funding for certain programs.

I'm also thinking you might have maybe been in South Dakota which, if my memory serves me, was one of the final if not the last state to bring their drinking age up to 21.

Don't want you to date yourself if you don't want to, but was this in the late 60's, early 70's?  Before the federal government mandated all states bring their drinking age up to 21 or risk losing federal funding for certain programs.

I'm also thinking you might have maybe been in South Dakota which, if my memory serves me, was one of the final if not the last state to bring their drinking age up to 21.

Minnesota went from 21 to 18 in 1973

18 to 19 in 1976.

In 1986 the drinking age became 21.

I think it was a Crookston recruiter that came to my High School in ND, and promoted the fact that you could have beer in your dorm room if you were of age.