SiouxSports.com Forum

New Recruits

dagies

Hockey Nut, you make some very good points.

I like Canady's aggressive play, but I'm not happy about the stick work I've seen from him and Bochenski this last week.  The sticks are dangerous weapons.

I also think that Canady misplaced his aggressive play with some ill-timed penalties this last week.

Canady is a very hard worker out there.  He really cranks and he reminds me of Jason Notermann and Spiewak with their effort.  However, regardless of what some goofer fans will say about Jason, I haven't seen him wield the stick the same way.

I like that the article did mention the bad stuff he was involved with last week vs. just talking him up.  But it probably wasn't enough.  

However, I like Canady overall.  I agree with you that his play really hurt the team in a game they could/should have won.  What I am hoping is that Blais is dealing with the rest of this behind closed doors and will get that straightened out posthaste.

We'll see if he can direct that energy a little better this coming weekend.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of overkill on Zach Parise, here's another note:  He's in this week's Sports Illustrated in the "Faces in the Crowd" section.  It centered around his MVP award in the Mac tourney a few weeks back.

While nothing will compare to the "Hrkac Circus" either in name or goal production, I'm hoping that the "Zach Attack" will be the rallying cry in a few years. (Too Cheesy???)

I think the "Zach Attack" has a nice ring to it.  ;)  Parise will bring great talent and a very strong desire to win to the team.  The desire, I hope, should rub off on the rest of the team.

Our younger guys, Massen, Boschenski, Canady, et al. seem to have some great raw talent, but are just lacking the maturity and experience to put it all together.  I hope they stick around REA this summer and learn to work together on the basics, e.g., skating, hitting with the body (not the stick  :) ) and just developing a chemistry they seem to lack.

The Hurled has reported that LA Kings coach Andy Murray's son has verballed to UND. He'll be there in 2003.

Knowing this I vote for "Zach Attack" because I think it'll catch on and if it doesn't I fear they'll be called "The Brady Bunch" (for Brady Murray).

(Ba-dump-bump .... ting)

Zach Attach is much better.  But let's not break it out too quick and jinx the kid.  

I would like to see Masson and Bochenski (especially) go to a power skating school.  Too bad the instructor from Roseau (I forget her name) tragically passed away.  These kids could use her instruction.   I think Bayda said he went to a place in Fargo last year.  If Bo could improve that skating (and why can't he) he might find less need to use the stick.

I'm not ready to give up on this year yet.  But I am curious to know what Genoway will bring to the table.  He is very young, and he is here vs. spending a year in juniors.  So one wonders if he is pretty good.  (maybe he had to come so he could sit his year out and get it over with)

I don't think B. Connelly has the option of going anywhere else.  He would have to sit out for awhile as a transfer and that would cause him Skarperud syndrom - running out of eligibility in years before running out of seasons.

As a guess, I'd have to say Fylling, Parise & Genoway will all get significant time next season, with Faul & both Connelly's getting less games.  It's a good problem to have - too many capable forwards.  

Next season should be much better than this one has been.  It can't get too much worse!

Info on SSM's tournament last weekend from a So. MN paper:

Zach Parise scored the game-winner with 25 seconds left in the finals as Shattuck-St. Mary's captured the championship of the Capitol Ice Tournament in boys hockey over the weekend in Madison. Parise's goal, assisted by Brady Murray, gave the Sabres a 3-2 win over Culver (Ind.) Academy in the title game. Murray was the top SSM scorer in the tournament with four goals and four assists, followed by Parise with four goals and two assists. The Sabres (46-4-4) were 2-1 in pool play. They beat IMG of Florida 7-2 with Kevin House making 17 saves and St. Louis 4-2 with Mike Mayhew making seven saves. Then, despite outshooting the Philadelphia Junior Flyers 42-9, SSM lost 3-2 in overtime. John Baennau scored the game-winner against House, who made six saves. In the semifinals, SSM whipped Honeybaked of Detroit 5-0 with Mayhew making 24 saves. House was back in goal in the finals with 23 saves against Culver. The Sabres will play in Culver's tournament Friday through Sunday in Indiana.

Parise with six points in five games.

Did someone already suggest that when Parise's current teammate Murray joins the Fighting Sioux in 2003 (I think it is), the line he's on be dubbed, "The Brady Bunch"?

P.S. As always, Sicatoka is one step ahead of us, having already suggested (but with trepidation) the same thing.

I remember hearing about Andy Murray getting in a car accident, but I don't remember where.  Maybe it was on the radio?  He was on his way to see Brady play, and hit a patch of ice.  

When the "Zach Attack" comes out on the ice, they'll have to play the song "Friends Forever" by Zach Attack over the sound system.  I wouldn't be able to quit laughing if they did.  It's not exactly your typical hockey game song. :)

Man am I old.  I didn't even know there was a band named Zach Attack.

There was a blurb in the trib a few days ago about Andy Murray's car accident.  Sounded like it could have been a really bad deal, but he'll be ok.  Brady still managed to get chosen on the all-tournament team with Zach, though.

What a great hockey deal we have at UND....Still enjoying this year and already can't wait for next!

Dagies, Zach Attack is the name of Zach's band on a Saved By the Bell episode.  It's not actually a real band.  :)  I thought everyone knew that, and that was where people got the idea to call it the Zach Attack.  Maybe I'm just too young. ;)  But you can download the song Friends Forever (at least I did off of Napster last year) if you want to be up on times. :(

forecheck,

Trust me when I tell you that, when I initially suggested "Zach Attack", I had no idea there was any connection to "Saved by the Bell".  Hopefully Virg Foss will never be writing about Zach Parise and Screetch in the same sentence!