SiouxSports.com Forum

New Recruits

dagies

Thanks Scott.  I noticed that SSM played both Bozeman and Bismarck of the AWHL earlier in the year and seemed to be competitive with them.  I saw Bozeman play a couple times last year against Billings (and Layne Sedevie) and they are a good hockey club.  Not USHL quality but much better than the high school hockey you can see in ND and Section 8.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old news, but a great article on Zach Parise..

http://www.caldercup.com/Slam020102/col_francis-sun.html

Wednesday, January 2, 2002

Simply the best

By ERIC FRANCIS -- Calgary Sun

In a tournament that has boasted participants such as Petr Nedved, Scott Gomez, Mike Modano and Dany Heatley, Zach Parise is simply the best.

While only time will tell if his development can continue to rival that of such aforementioned greats, it's clear no player has ever dominated the Mac's midget tournament like the 17-year-old Minnesotan.

Shattering the record books with 29 points in seven games and his second-straight tourney MVP honours, Parise concluded his three-year stint at the prestigious tourney by raising the championship trophy with his Shattuck-St. Mary's Sabres for the third consecutive year.

"I'd say he's definitely the best to ever play here, yes," said longtime scout and tourney organizer Carl Archibald.

"He's got great anticipation and he's not one dimensional like Nedved or Gomez. He sees the ice better and utilizes everyone on the ice much better than they did. He's incredible at both ends of the rink."

Despite the best efforts of a Yorkton squad focused heavily on shutting down the most prolific scorer in Mac's history, Parise set up two goals in a 6-1 win at the 'Dome. Drawing a tripping penalty on a breakaway and robbed several times in close, it marked just the second time in 21 Mac's games he was held scoreless.

"We tried to shut down Zach and took our chances with the other two," said Yorkton coach Ryan Hoffman, referring to Parise's linemates Brady Murray (son of L.A. Kings coach Andy) and Tyler Hirsch, who scored one and three goals respectively.

"Just shutting down Zach isn't enough. He's probably the best player we've faced all year and the best midget player I've ever coached against."

Recording 12 points his first year here as a 15-year-old under-ager, Parise stole the show last year with an 18-point effort -- including four goals and a helper in the final -- to win his first MVP honours. This year's 29 points gives him 59 career points at the Mac's, a record not likely to be broken considering most top players only play one or two years of midget hockey before moving on to junior or college. And he did it all against the stiffest world-class competition ever assembled at the 25-team tourney.

Next season, Parise will attend North Dakota on scholarship, with hopes of being drafted in 2003 and continuing his career in the NHL.

While no team had ever won consecutive championships prior to Shattuck's threepeat, no player had won back-to-back MVPs or scoring titles, either. When told many considered him to be the best player in the tournament's 24-year history, the classy, well-spoken son of former NHLer J.P. Parise was honoured.

"That's shocking -- from what I've read, there have been some great players here," said Parise, a modest type who led his club to a perfect 7-0 record this week, recording seven points in the quarter-final and five in the semi.

"That's not surprising at all to hear," said Hirsch, the game MVP. "It's a gift to play with someone like him. He's also our hardest worker. As great as he is, he's always trying to get better."

Having gained considerable attention long before he led his Faribault, Minn., prep school to the national midget championship title last year, Parise says he'll have to see how his 5-ft. 10-in., 170-lb. frame fills out before knowing if his NHL aspirations are realistic.

Others, like Shattuck coach Tom Ward, don't need to wait that long.

"I would never jinx him by saying he's a sure thing but he's a special player," said Ward, whose club is 31-3-4 and ranked tops in the U.S.

"He's our hardest worker, our most dedicated team player, leader, good student, good boy, he's a warrior and he plays from goal line to goal line."

He is, quite simply, the best the Mac's tournament has ever seen. And in a tourney that has produced close to 200 NHLers, that's saying a lot.

Shattering the record books with 29 points in seven games and his second-straight tourney MVP honours, Parise concluded his three-year stint at the prestigious tourney by raising the championship trophy with his Shattuck-St. Mary's Sabres for the third consecutive year.

Yikes, Holly Cow that is a lot of points in any league. If I was coach I know where I would put this kid. I would put him with Bochenski and Bayda. I think this line could put the Heatly, Reino, Hukalo line of two years ago to shame. I smell a championship comming soon...

The USHL site says:

"Cable viewers in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa will be able to watch the 2002 USHL Prospects / All-Star Game on Fox Sports Net North again this year. Viewers outside Wisconsin can tune in at 2 p.m. on Feb. 9 to catch the action. Wisconsin viewers will see the broadcast at 5 p.m. on Feb. 9. Familiar hockey voices Wally Shaver and Doug Johnson will be calling the game."

Sioux recruit Matt Greene and returning player Quinn Fylling will be playing in this game, as well as recruits for nearly every top program.

I'm excited about Fylling's return next year.  He skated a regular shift all year his freshman year and showed flashes of real skill.  I think he'll be able to step in and be a mature player right away, and hopefully he won't seem as physically overmatched as in the past.  Most of all, I'm glad he brings the team speed up a bit, as he is a fine skater.  Plus he has a cool name for a fast guy.  Plus he's a native North Dakotan.

I'm not sure where he fits into the lineup, but that will be Blais's problem next fall.  The competition for PT will be even more intense next year.

I posted this on PrideonIce:

"I went also. Good game. The fans got pretty excited when BSM tied it up with 2.5 minutes left in the third.

SSM was the better team by a lot, but that's why the play the game. My amateur opinion is that Parise and Murray seemed to be smoother and faster skaters than Hirsch. Hirsch, on the other hand, took the puck straight to the net every chance he got, resulting in a bunch of chances.

SSM's first goal was Hirsch from P and M, but the goal was all Hirsch's. He got the puck on the side boards and headed for the slot, deking first the D-man then the goalie.

I didn't hear the announcement of Parise's goal, but I think it was unassisted. He just got the puck at the blue line, skated to the top of the circle and blasted a slapper. I was standing right behind the goal and appeared on the game highlights on WCCO last night. (I was the one with the Sioux sweatshirt.) I'm famous!

The OT goal was Parise catching up to a puck across the blue line, separating with his speed, moving wide to the left (drawing the D with him), and making a nice pass to Hirsch cruising down the slot all by himself. He made a nice R-L-R and tuck it behind the goalie move. This goal was equal parts nice plays by P and H.

What I wouldn't pay to see SSM and Greenway slug it out this year. I've only seen Guyer in last year's tourney on TV, but he and Parise seem to be similar caliber players."

I'll add a bit.  I got in a few minutes into the first, so I missed introductions, and SSM doesn't have names on their jerseys.  It took exactly one shift for me to figure out which one was ZP.  When he moves through neutral ice with the puck, he is instantly afforded space by opponents, as he looks very dynamic moving with the puck.  You can see the opponents thinking, "oh shoot, back up! back up! back up!"

He'll be noticed right away in the WCHA, and eventually be a star.  He will be surprised next year at how quickly time and space disappear, and this will take some adjustment time.  His WCHA opponents will be surprised at how dynamic he is.  His linemates will be surprised that the puck is on their stick in the slot a lot.

ZP might not be the fastest player on SSM, though.  That would be Murray. ;)

I was there too. Fun game to watch. BSM wasn't the same caliber of team, I thought, but never gave up and like so many times, when you let a lesser team hang around......BSM #### near stole that thing at the end of regulation and again early in OT.

I thought SSM got tired because that first line of Murray, Parise and Hirsh take REALLY long shifts. SSM roles 4 lines most of the night but when the 1 line is out they stay for about 2 minutes it seemed to me.

Parise really has some excellent puck handling skills, and showed it a time or 2 in traffic. When he plays against more similar caliber players we'll see if he can get away with some of that.

That first line really played an upbeat style, they move fast, and move the puck fast. A step ahead of the normal high school hockey pace in my opinion. Murray looked to me to be the fastest of the 3. Hirsh didn't look to me to have the same flashy offensive skills, but he knew how to move the puck and get and he knew how to shoot. These were 3 talented players.

SSM has some other very talented players, I thought, even though the stats don't show it so much. I didn't have a program but I was impressed with #19, a forward, and there were a couple-3 D's that were pretty good. #20, #3, #27.

I was also impressed with the size of some of the players on both teams. Some big D's.

Fun game to watch.

Yes, Porter was good too.  SSM played an upbeat tempo, and  you could tell they were well coached, and knew what to do.  To me they played good, sound fundamental hockey.

I'm not sure why they did not blow out BSM.  They were the better team.  But BSM did play very hard, and took advantage of most of their rare opportunities.  The SSM boys missed the net a fair amount, I thought, and that probably hurt.  They could have blown them out.  Give credit to the goalie, and the D for working hard.

Or how about #47, D. Blais?

Flin Flon?  Now, that's Canada.  I forget the story, but the town may have some link to a fictional character named Flintabatty Flonatin, or something like that.

Do you think they always schedule team picture day the morning after team party night?

• 2 weeks later...

I had emailed the Coach Osieki with the Green Bay Gamblers to see if he would share any info on Matt Greene, i.e. what his D1 prospects are.  (Hey, his email address is on their website)

Of course he didn't respond but their PR or media guy did.  This is what he had to say for what it is worth:

"Hey Dan,

I had a chance to talk with the coaching staff about Matt for you.  They say Matt's potential as a D 1 player looks very bright.  They consider him a very good Junior A player right now who was selected to play for the Viking Cup team, was a USHL all-star last week, and played in the top prospects tournament in Detroit recently.  They say Matt is a defenseman's defenseman.  He's a stay at home guy who brings a real physcial presence to the ice.  NHL Central Scouting is projecting Matt to be a 3rd round draft pick in this year's NHL draft, June 22 & 23.  That's about all I know.  Hope it helps."

Dagies, I watched some replay of the USHL all star game last weekend. Matt Green was in the ushl all star team although he didn't stick out he did ok. Quinn Flyling was pretty good too buzzing all over the place. Lane Sedieve (sp) look real good so maybe he will be the man next season.

I am getting rumors that UND is looking at another forward to bring in next season, but that is all I know.

Dagies, I watched some replay of the USHL all star game last weekend. Matt Green was in the ushl all star team although he didn't stick out he did ok. Quinn Flyling was pretty good too buzzing all over the place. Lane Sedieve (sp) look real good so maybe he will be the man next season.

I am getting rumors that UND is looking at another forward to bring in next season, but that is all I know.

I agree, Fylling was one of the best forwards on the ice. And Sedivie was solid.

I agree, Fylling was one of the best forwards on the ice. And Sedivie was solid.

I hope a year in the Jr's Will Fylling because that kid can fly. I think it was also a smart decision because he can probably come back more mature and seasoned. Lane Sedivie looked like his injuries weren't slowing him down to much in the all-star game as he made some great saves against the World all-star team. It made me kind of excited about the future...

Jeff McLean did what Quinn Fylling is doing now. He played 1987-88 at UND, went back to Canada for 1988-89, and then did three more years at UND from 1989-1992. He came back after a year in Canada for the better. I'm hoping Quinn Fylling follows suit.

Layne Sedevie is finally healthy. I wish he'd have seen more pucks this year but you can't have it all. Next fall should provide some strong competition for goaltending time.

Earlier this year UND had a forward at the point on the second powerplay unit: Chris Fournier. The problem is that Chris hasn't been right physically from day one except for maybe one weekend. I like him up there because he's patient, has good vision, and makes good passes.

One of my biggest disappoints this year, other than the obvious ones, was not getting to see Fournier healthy and ready on a consistent basis.

I did see him for one game at Mankato, and I thought he looked great on a line with Bo(Jackson)chenski (or BoJackchenski).   He didn't play at MN.  I think he did play in the AA series but was on the 4th line with Faul and B Connelly and they didn't get much playing time.

I'm hoping Chris can get healthy and stay that way next year.  I think this year was basically a lost one for him, and it is too bad he couldn't have ended up redshirting or something for all the good it did him.  I'd like to see him once he has some consistent, healthy playing time under his belt.

What do you guys think about the article in the GF Herald about Canady.  I don't usually highlight the guy that got 9 minutes in penalties when my team was up two goals vs the Gophers.  I don't think the Sioux teams in the past made those kind of mistakes and then got embellished in the paper the next week.  I guess if we are the Charlestown Chiefs it is time to find another team to back!  I think this team has found a way to lose more than once.  It is contagious.  I have never seen a Sioux team not cover a guy in front of the net for three goals before.  Backhand passes from the wall turning into tying and gamewinning goals is unacceptable and inexplainable.. Tired or not it is not that hard to cover your man in front of net while the other teams is making desperation centering passes......

I think it is unbelievable.  I was in Wisconsin on Saturday night and I thought that was unbelievable.  But this Saturday night in Grand Forks was the worst.  Canady may have gotten a dumb penalty there too!

Then write up the brain-dead forward that wore out your team on Saturday night and annoint him Captain.  I would rather have a kid like Pat O'Leary he was honest, tough and not cheap.  He could play physical but wouldn't use his stick with no respect.  

I have seen Canady when challenged put his tail between his leg and run after hitting someone I know in the mouth with his stick.  I even asked a former Sioux assitant coach if in fact he was recruiting soft guys as he ran away from someone close to me after hitting him in the face with his stick..  I think it is chicken s&!t to hit someone with your stick when you know that you aren't going to get your butt kicked because of the fighting rules in college hockey and that it is a disgrace to have him written up as some sort of great player.

I insist toughness is good but you can't endanger others with reckless stick work IE; Ballard and Greene from Alaska.  Both of those were total b s......~!!!!