SiouxSports.com Forum

New Recruits

dagies

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Sioux are in a situation where they need a body to fill a position on defense. They could use a defenseman with offensive skills and the ability to run the powerplay. Someone like Travis Roche, Brad Williamson, Curtis Murphy, etc. One of the current freshmen may be able to do that in two years, but there is no apparent short-term answer.

Speaking of which..Nice article about Andy Schneider in today's GF Herald.

http://web.northscape.com/content....117.htm

Quote: from PHE on 11:59 am on Jan. 17, 2002

According to the latest Central Scouting Service rankings the Sioux have five players/recruits listed.

It's nice to see that a number of UND players/recruits are listed. It's a sign that the Sioux are continuing to get excellent players. On the other hand, I wouldn't make too much of the relative rankings, or even whether a particular player is ranked or not. The correlation between CSB rankings and college performance is very weak. Among other things, the NHL puts tremendous emphasis on size.

Not to sound like some of those USHR junkies (quoting it left and right), but the throwing Matt Greene's name into a search engine came up with this from the July 2000 USHR:

Matt Greene, who played for Chris Coury's Little Caesar's squad last winter, is 6'2", 201 lbs, and loves to hit hard. He's still raw skill-wise. That is, the skills are there, they just need smoothing out. In addition, he hasn't finished growing into his body. Greene, with his size and physical style of play, is a potential first-round NHL draft pick. He's going to the U.S. National Program this fall.

Also in that report they list "Select 17 Standouts" from the camp in the summer of 2000.

Defensemen:

1. Ryan Whitney

2. Matt Greene

For reference, Whitney is the highly touted D-man now at BU. Not bad company considering who was next on USHR's list:

3. Matt Jones

Currently he skates in jersey #3 for Dean Blais. You've heard of him, yes?

http://www.ushr.com/july00news.htm

I have read somewhere that Lee Marvin of Lincoln will come to UND next year.  Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, if it's a good thing?  

He's not listed in Heisenberg's USHL section, so I don't know if he's just coming in as a legacy or if he's considered a "real" recruit.  If it's the former, I'm OK with that.  Nurturing the program's history is valuable, with benefits you sometimes don't see for years.

At the Lincoln site, he is listed as 6-1, 195, DOB 6-25-81.  In 32 games, he's got 2-7-9 and 87 PIMs, which leads the team.

Sioux hockey:  You don't want to go into the corner with our defensemen.

For any Metro-area fans looking to take in SSM's game with Benilde, here is what I have found:

According to the SSM site, the game is Wednesday, Jan. 30, at 7:15 p.m.  A receptionist I spoke to at Benilde said they play their home games at the St. Louis Park Ice Arena.  She gave me these directions:

Coming from the North on Hwy 100, take the 36th (St./Ave?) exit.  Go East on 36th, back over Hwy 100, and through two lights.  The rink is on the right-hand side just after the second light.  

She was not a good direction-giver so I think there may be a little searching required, but this should get you in the area.  I have a commitment that evening (and I never have commitments) but I'm going to try to get over there if I can.

I've mentioned this on USCHO, but I went to the Sunday game in Crookston to watch SSM, and Parise is everything you can ask for in a player.  He's very quick, made some good hits, and scored one SHG (almost two, except he was interfered with from behind) and 4 assist in the one game.  SSM won 6-2 and he scored on 5 of the 6 goals, and was alos on the ice for the 6th goal.  Murray was also very good, scoring 2 goals and 1 assist.  Tyler Hirsch, on the other hand, had a bad game.  Many many mistakes leading to breakaways, which led to the first 2 Crookston goals, and after the 2nd goal, he got a 10 minute misconduct for breaking his stick on the net.  ;)   Also, Dave Hakstol and Brad Berry were there, so we were wondering if they were  looking at possible future recruits.  There were some other talented, big players that would look good in green and white.  ;)

What is the difference between Midget hockey and Minnesota HS hockey, besides the number of games they play?  SSM seems to be taking most of their opponents to the woodshed this year.  For those of you familiar with both, how would SSM do against the top AA teams in Minnesota high school hockey?

I think the primary difference is that Midget teams have more discretion as to who and where they play.  In addition, they are not bound by the conference schedules and residency requirements as are MSHL teams.  

If SSM played a top MSHL team like Hastings, Elk River, AV or Moorhead they would probably kill them just based on the greater level of experience.  It would be like having a USHL team come into the arena, as those longer schedules do make a difference even if the players are the same ages.

I'm looking forward to watching SSM play next week, and I know a few Minnesota fans who are too.

Dagies so are you saying that Marvin is like a Commodore (rough and tumble) type player, if that is true that would be great. We will need it if we keep getting itty bitty goalies too.

I liked the fact that when Commodore played people were afraid to go tip toeing around UND end, if you took liberties with the more skilled players UND's Commodore was going to smoke you later and he was one tough SOB. I think Hale is good but he is not Mike.

I would love to see that fear returned next season. Sounds like Andy Schnider could also fill that void. I think last Year not having Commie for a 4th year hurt us in the toughness department... I hope it returns. I mean toughness not Demarchi gooniery...