Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible Recruit?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scout's have took notice of Rutherford's play this season. While Rutherford won't comment on the record about the schools he has been communicating with the word on the street is that he has narrowed down the field North Dakota, Maine, Denver, Michigan State, Bowling Green, Wisconson, Quinnipiac, UMass, Fairbanks, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio State, Nebraska-Omaha, Western Michigan, Michigan Tech, Alaska Achroage, Minnesota - Duluth

I don't think UND has a shot at him with the Q on the list.

Mario had a couple of pretty good games this week-end.

Friday night he sparked the team to a win after dropping the gloves against an kid 2 years older than him. A few of the older guys gave him props for getting the game going in their favor.

Saturday, the Storm were down 1-0 and he puts one away to tie the game. They went on to win 5-2. He also had an assist.

For an 88 I've been real impressed with his play. He's not afraid to mix it up with older, bigger players. He's got pretty good ice vision and speed.

Coach Littler said he WILL play at UND, then backtracked and stated he didn't want to speak for Mario. :lol:

......time will tell. :huh:

Just wondering if anyone else on saturday night heard Tim H talking about a possible recruit that was at the Ralph for the Minnesota game that happened to be a #1 draft pick in the WHL. He said that he was deciding between UND and the WHL. I'd assume that this would be Jonathon Toews as he was a #1 draft pick in the WHL. He would be a good pick up as a recruit but Tim was worried that with all the calls that it might scare recurits away.

Just wondering if anyone else on saturday night heard Tim H talking about a possible recruit that was at the Ralph for the Minnesota game that happened to be a #1 draft pick in the WHL.  He said that he was deciding between UND and the WHL.  I'd assume that this would be Jonathon Toews as he was a #1 draft pick in the WHL.  He would be a good pick up as a recruit but Tim was worried that with all the calls that it might scare recurits away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This rumor has been floating around for quite a long time through various different sources named and unnamed. It's somewhat based in fact, being as Toews stayed at Shattuck instead of reporting to Tri City (the WHL team who owns his rights), but as for the intent of his staying in Fairbault remains to be seen. I don't know what will happen, but I am curious to know how many high first round Major Junior draftees decided to go the college route. I have heard of quite a few lower round draftees, but never 1st or 2nd rounders.

It is my understanding Toews has combined his Junior & Senior year classes together in order to graduate this year and move onto a higher level of hockey.....I don't think he will ever go and play in the USHL, but being from Winnipeg I think there is a good chance he would return to Canada and play in the WHL......He was a teamate of Duncan and Miller last year and Chorney this year, so he would feel very comfortable being around guys he knows and has played with in the past.....I hope if he selects UND that he plans on being there for 4 years.....it is proving to be difficult when your top players jump after a couple of years.

Toews was indeed at REA for the Friday game against Minnie. The Canadian hockey bigwigs have been pressuring him to play MJ ala Sidney Crosby. However, his "Number 1" WHL draft status notwithstanding, the fact he accelerated his schooling and at least one of his parents is a teacher, the rumors are tantalizing, to say the least. :lol:

Toews was indeed at REA for the Friday game against Minnie.  The Canadian hockey bigwigs have been pressuring him to play MJ ala Sidney Crosby.  However, his "Number 1" WHL draft status notwithstanding, the fact he accelerated his schooling and at least one of his parents is a teacher, the rumors are tantalizing, to say the least.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO this would be huge for UND. They do not have a big name goal scorer coming in, Toews would likely be just that. The SSM website has him listed as an 88 senior, so he is graduating a year early. Right now he is second on the team in scoring with 36 points in 23 games.

Genoway has 22 points in 22 games. He has to be considered another potential recruit.

Toews was indeed at REA for the Friday game against Minnie.  The Canadian hockey bigwigs have been pressuring him to play MJ ala Sidney Crosby.  However, his "Number 1" WHL draft status notwithstanding, the fact he accelerated his schooling and at least one of his parents is a teacher, the rumors are tantalizing, to say the least.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume that David Toews is his brother. He is two years younger and second in scoring on the Bantom Tier 1 team, 27 goals and 30 assists in 23 games. So landing Jonathan would probably give UND the inside track to his brother in a few years if he continues to progress.

Central Scouting preliminary list is out.

user name:  public access

password:  hockey 2004

Chorney, Lee, Oshie and Vande Velde are all listed as "A" high school players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, under the "Players to Watch" heading:

Zach Jones is listed as an "A" player for the USNTDP

Matt Watkins and Andrew Kozek are listed as "B" players in the BCHL. There are no "A" players in the BCHL.

"A" players are considered to have the potential to be drafted in the top 4 rounds. "B" players are considered to be prospects for the late rounds.

What's the story on this Marto kid? Skill level etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is the most talented and best player in the state. He should win Mr. Hockey. The only thing that will hold him back is that Central is not very deep and does not have the skill level that they have had the past few years. Smooth, fluid skater with very good speed, great lateral movement, great hands. According to Tarek Howard, he is the real deal. He does need to fill out some, but he's pretty tall. I don't know anything about the rumor of him going to the Gophers in 06, but he is a lifelong Gopher fan and I have heard that the Gophers are interested.

I don't know anything about the rumor of him going to the Gophers in 06, but he is a lifelong Gopher fan

Clearly he is not a very smart kid then :ohmy:

The consensus appears he is probably the best player in the state, that is going to play HS hockey in ND. He was injured most of last season, so I didn't see much of him. He must play football or soccer because he did not play in the elite league this season. With his lack of exposure I highly doubt any college is actively recruiting him. It is hard to tell for sure what kind of a player he is when he only played about 10 games last year.

Clearly he is not a very smart kid then :ohmy:

The consensus appears he is probably the best player in the state, that is going to play HS hockey in ND. He was injured most of last season, so I didn't see much of him. He must play football or soccer because he did not play in the elite league this season. With his lack of exposure I highly doubt any college is actively recruiting him. It is hard to tell for sure what kind of a player he is when he only played about 10 games last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was named a second team All-state wide receiver in football this season.

He is currently playing high school hockey and recorded two assists in Central's win over Shanley last night.

And although I don't have anything concrete to support the following, I think there is little doubt the college scouts are well aware of him.

Marto's upside could be very good if he does indeed fill out his frame, because he is very good already despite focusing solely on baseball in the summer and really playing a total of one season of high school if you take injuries into account. It is because he hasn't played hockey year-round that his name is not a household name in recruiting circles, at least not to the average fan. As said before, coaches know he is out there.

Smooth, fluid skater with very good speed, great lateral movement, great hands. According to Tarek Howard, he is the real deal.  I don't know anything about the rumor of him going to the Gophers in 06, but he is a lifelong Gopher fan and I have heard that the Gophers are interested.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would look as being a life long Gopher fan a character flaw and UND shouldn't want anything to do with this kid. :lol::ohmy:

Honestly maybe I am looking at the world through kelly green glasses but I can't for the life of me understand how a logically sane kid from North Dakota who lives on the west side of the border would chose UofM over his home town team. To each their own.