SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

Jordy is not a goalie, he is a forward. He will be a sophomore this year and has a good chance to make varsity. Beau is a goalie, will be a junior, and may make varsity, but there are 2 returning goalies that will be seniors.

That is what I was trying to say. Jordy is the forward and a grade younger. Beau is a goalie and a grade older. Jordy is not Dave's kid, but his nephew. Beau is Dave's kid so that makes Jordy and Beau cousins.

I agree about Beau, their are 2 returning varsity seniors, plus a couple that were juniors on the JV team last year. Christian was the #1 JV goalie last year, he probably could have been the #2 varsity goalie.

Jordy is a very fun player to watch. There wasn't a single sophomore on varsity last year, it should be interesting to see if he can crack the line up this year. My guess is he'll start on JV and move up if he produces. I think Moorhead is going to be even better next year, they have a very impressive list of returning players.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I was trying to say. Jordy is the forward and a grade younger. Beau is a goalie and a grade older. Jordy is not Dave's kid, but his nephew. Beau is Dave's kid so that makes Jordy and Beau cousins.

I agree about Beau, their are 2 returning varsity seniors, plus a couple that were juniors on the JV team last year. Christian was the #1 JV goalie last year, he probably could have been the #2 varsity goalie.

Jordy is a very fun player to watch. There wasn't a single sophomore on varsity last year, it should be interesting to see if he can crack the line up this year. My guess is he'll start on JV and move up if he produces. I think Moorhead is going to be even better next year, they have a very impressive list of returning players.

I agree that Moorhead should be even better than last year. The best players on last year's team were juniors, and they will have Jeremy Smith, Jake Krause, Andy Stone and others move up, as well as Jordy Christian and possibly Pat Deitz and Michael Weiss from Bantams.

Dave Hakstol has done most of the recruiting for the past few years and seems to have done a good job in bringing some of the best talent in both the US and Canada to UND........This coming years recruits are very good as well as those coming in 2005......lets hope he can continue to be the force behind bringing top talent to our school!!!!!

Some kinda interesting news. Vandevelde skated in the MN model camp a few weeks ago. I have no idea how closely related it is to the Gophers but I do know it is unusual for an out of MN recruit to skate in it.

Several Moorhead players were invited. My cousin skated on the same line as Wheeler. Becker, Ammerman, Barta, Cluckey and both senior goalies were also invited. Two ND players also went - Marto and Stadstad? from GF Central. I've heard of Marto but not much of the other kid, I know he has a cousin or brother that is fighting brain cancer, I think he's the same kid anyway.

US Select U-17 dmen:

Defensemen (6): Jonathan Ammerman; Taylor Chorney; Erik Felde; Johnathan Kearns; Brian Lee; and Ryan Turek.

Where did you get this? The Select 17 festival starts next week, I thought they picked the national team after that. It would be pretty cool to have 1/2 of the Dmen come from MN, and 1/3 committed to the Sioux.

Where did you get this? The Select 17 festival starts next week, I thought they picked the national team after that. It would be pretty cool to have 1/2 of the Dmen come from MN, and 1/3 committed to the Sioux.

Copied from the CC board. At second glance, it's the 03 team (discussing Chad Rau who supposedly verballed to CC).

But the younger Chorney jumped at the chance to play at UND. Following his visit to UND last fall, he cancelled a scheduled recruiting trip to Minnesota. "I knew Minnesota was really interested in Taylor," Marc Chorney said. "If there was a second choice, that would be it."

In Goofer speak, this is what is known as "Lucia backing off of the kid". ;):)

Minnesota probably pulled their scholarship offer leaving Chorney with no choice but to go to UND! At least that is the typical spin out of Goofer country, isn't it?! ;);)

"I know Ralph wanted to give UND an edge, and he did that," Chorney said. "I don't think a lot of people realize what a power recruiting tool that rink is. If the Sioux were still in the old rink, they'd have their hands full competing with other schools today.

"When we (Marc and Taylor) were there for the Boston College series last fall, I've never heard a rink so loud," Marc Chorney said.

Off topic - yeah, ahem, the new REA, ahem, really lacks, ahem, atmosphere. :)

The above statement coming from a former Sioux player who played in the old REA during what could arguably be considered UND's heyday during the early 80's when the Sioux consistently put great and exciting teams on the ice . . . and he's never heard a rink "so loud."

That is certainly a great endorsement and obviously, the atmosphere at the REA played some role in UND landing the younger Chorney, a topnotch recruit!

Minnesota probably pulled their scholarship offer leaving Chorney with no choice but to go to UND! At least that is the typical spin out of Goofer country, isn't it?! ;);)

Off topic - yeah, ahem, the new REA, ahem, really lacks, ahem, atmosphere. :)

The above statement coming from a former Sioux player who played in the old REA during what could arguably be considered UND's heyday during the early 80's when the Sioux consistently put great and exciting teams on the ice . . . and he's never heard a rink "so loud."

That is certainly a great endorsement and obviously, the atmosphere at the REA played some role in UND landing the younger Chorney, a topnotch recruit!

I like the fact that he picked UND and cancelled his recruiting trip to UofM, as well as not wanting to look at any other schools.

INCH has a story about Phil Kessel being the top 87 recruit. It doesn't look like the Sioux are at the top of his list as he lists BU, Mich, MN, & WI, but they do list 5 other top 87 birthdate players including Zach Jones who besides Kessel is the only one who hasn't committed.

Zach Jones: Terrific defensively, he was the top U.S. defenseman at the Under-18 World Championship as a 16 year old. Uncommitted.

The Next One

INCH has a story about Phil Kessel being the top 87 recruit. It doesn't look like the Sioux are at the top of his list as he lists BU, Mich, MN, & WI, but they do list 5 other top 87 birthdate players including Zach Jones who besides Kessel is the only one who hasn't committed.

The Next One

I'm not sure about Kessel, from all accounts that I've seen, I don't know if UND really had a chance to get Kessel, so I am not sure Hak and Berry are wasting their time trying.

I'm hoping we're recruiting Jones though.

I'm not sure about Kessel, from all accounts that I've seen, I don't know if UND really had a chance to get Kessel, so I am not sure Hak and Berry are wasting their time trying.

I'm hoping we're recruiting Jones though.

Uh, did you read this?

He favors a school that plays an up-tempo, offensive style and features a classic college hockey atmosphere.

Just a polite invitation, when allowed per NCAA rules, wouldn't be out of line. Well, that, and notation of the track record of putting smallish guys (Kessel is 5'10", 160) into the pro ranks.

Accounts, posters on boards, internet speculation?? ZPar, by all "accounts", didn't have ND on his list either, during the time he was still too young to recruit.

Well, Kessel will at least be taking a "really un" official visit to Grand Forks this summer, and will see the facilities then:

"USA Hockey today [6/15/04] announced the roster and schedule for the 2004 U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp, which will include 42 of the best American players under the age of 20. The camp will be held Aug. 9-14 at the Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D., and will include exhibition contests between two U.S. squads (Teams Blue and White) and under-20 select teams from Finland and Sweden."

I don't have my hopes up at all for him to attend UND, but he'll at least be in town.

On defense, with Schneider, Fuher, Jones and Greene all graduating or otherwise moving along pretty soon, there will be room for a talented defenseman. In addition, there will be an opening for a "Jones" and also an opening for a "Zach." Seems like a pretty natural fit.

On defense, with Schneider, Fuher, Jones and Greene all graduating or otherwise moving along pretty soon, there will be room for a talented defenseman. In addition, there will be an opening for a "Jones" and also an opening for a "Zach." Seems like a pretty natural fit.

You wouldn't even have to re-sew a name plate onto a jersey. :D

Well, Kessel will at least be taking a "really un" official visit to Grand Forks this summer, and will see the facilities then:

Nice to have all these youngsters visit the REA, both in August and again in December (for some of them). Possibly there are Swedes and Finlanders with college aspirations?

Stafford can be the salesman, although the facilities speak for themselves.