SiouxSports.com Forum

Wishlist for 2010-11

siouxrunner

Plain and simple: play to your potential. It's been a few years since we've seen a Sioux team accomplish this seemingly simple task. Don't skate off the ice after being embarrassed in the NCAA tourney with something left in the tank. We've had some truly great individual talents wear the Sioux jersey this past decade, but that hasn't translated into truly great Sioux teams. I never viewed that as a problem, but after the way our past 3 seasons ended, I'm beginning to wonder if the blue chip status of our athletes has ever so slightly eroded the blue collar attitude of our program just enough to mean the difference between winning and losing in March and April. Please prove me wrong! :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and simple: play to your potential. It's been a few years since we've seen a Sioux team accomplish this seemingly simple task. Don't skate off the ice after being embarrassed in the NCAA tourney with something left in the tank. We've had some truly great individual talents wear the Sioux jersey this past decade, but that hasn't translated into truly great Sioux teams. I never viewed that as a problem, but after the way our past 3 seasons ended, I'm beginning to wonder if the blue chip status of our athletes has ever so slightly eroded the blue collar attitude of our program just enough to mean the difference between winning and losing in March and April. Please prove me wrong! :lol:

I think this team overacheived to some extent this year. Its tough to lean on freshmen and sophmores to provide most of your offensive production. Next year the senior and junior class should be able to increase the offensive spark that this team seemed to lack most of the year. Next year we have a bunch of guys with the potential to become 20+ goal scorers; Frattin, Malone, Gregiore, Hextall, and Kristo the most likely. I think that the 2010-2011 Sioux team will have one of it's deepest and most talented group as forwards we seen in a while. They may not have the super high end guy like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Bochinski, Stafford, Zajac, or Duncan, but this group may be better from top to bottom.

I don't think anyone can get down own this team for not playing to their potential. This team had a TON of heart and seemed to be the "blue collar" team we all love. In the NCAAs its one and done and a slow start, a hot goalie or a fluke bounce can ruin a season for anyone. Making one game a microcosim of the season is really unfair.

I cant believe Sioux hockey is over for another season, i miss it already!!!

i am frequently going to SS.com every day only to realise there aernt any games until october :(

my wishlist for 2010-2011 is below:

1. Chay returns for another season as captain

2. Nobody leaves early for the pros

3. Brad miller times gets visits from Johnny Toews and Zach Parise

4. UND gets approval to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname and The Ralph gets named to host a future Frozen four

5. Sioux win MacNaughton Cup and Broadmoor Trophy

6. Sioux Take home 8th national championship and i make the trip to see it

7. Everything above comes true (knock on wood)

am i asking for too much?? :lol:

I cant believe Sioux hockey is over for another season, i miss it already!!!

i am frequently going to SS.com every day only to realise there aernt any games until october :(

my wishlist for 2010-2011 is below:

1. Chay returns for another season as captain

2. Nobody leaves early for the pros

3. Brad miller times gets visits from Johnny Toews and Zach Parise

4. UND gets approval to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname and The Ralph gets named to host a future Frozen four

5. Sioux win MacNaughton Cup and Broadmoor Trophy

6. Sioux Take home 8th national championship and i make the trip to see it

7. Everything above comes true (knock on wood)

am i asking for too much?? :lol:

I would settle for all the even ones, actually the first part of 4 and the first part of 6. Everything else we can flip a coin. :(

actually, as dumb as it sounds, i'll give up the grind of winning the macnaughton (a top 4 seed only needs two games to win the broadmoor, so im ok with that :lol: ) to be primed and fresh for the ncaa and bring home #8. when is the last time a macnaughton cup team won it all? and how often does it happen? is it too much of a grind on the team? pure speculation obviously, i am not in the locker room, but just a thought. and i'll take keeping the sioux name too, but not sure i see it happening.

Anyone who was at the Final Five would not think this team lacked a blue collar attitude.

I think they might have shot their wad, though.

What I want:

A solid regular season, starting reasonable and ramping up as the season goes on. No playoff eligibility drama, just solid positioning all the way through.

Win the opening round of the WCHA playoffs and a strong play in the Final Five. Don't have to win it.

A confident, hungry team with energy reserves going into the NCAA's.

actually, as dumb as it sounds, i'll give up the grind of winning the macnaughton (a top 4 seed only needs two games to win the broadmoor, so im ok with that :lol: ) to be primed and fresh for the ncaa and bring home #8. when is the last time a macnaughton cup team won it all? and how often does it happen? is it too much of a grind on the team? pure speculation obviously, i am not in the locker room, but just a thought. and i'll take keeping the sioux name too, but not sure i see it happening.

Only the top two seeds have a bye into Friday's semis; the other four teams will play quarterfinals on Thursday. That being said, I'll give up the other two pieces of hardware for a national title. If they want to pick up another trophy or two along the way, great, but I'd rather hang #8 on the north side of REA than #15 on the south side.

Dave

For the teams sake i hope you are wrong. :(

That said #8 is my wish and I think with that Trio up front and Knight finished playing strong and hard we can have three tough lines up front.

That said 199 days until we open the new arena in Bemidji according to the "Days Until" App on my phone.

i agree that Fratten has the potential to light it up in a big way next year. I think he should be the WCHA leading scorer, at least PPG.

That being said, I think Kristo has a chance to outscore him. Kristo really improved his play the second half this year. He developed his amazing talent into a bit of a Sioux mold.

I think it was the visit from Oshie!! :lol:

Only the top two seeds have a bye into Friday's semis; the other four teams will play quarterfinals on Thursday. That being said, I'll give up the other two pieces of hardware for a national title. If they want to pick up another trophy or two along the way, great, but I'd rather hang #8 on the north side of REA than #15 on the south side.

Dave

I haven't seen this yet, so can someone lay out how the playoffs work next year?

I think this team overacheived to some extent this year. Its tough to lean on freshmen and sophmores to provide most of your offensive production. Next year the senior and junior class should be able to increase the offensive spark that this team seemed to lack most of the year. Next year we have a bunch of guys with the potential to become 20+ goal scorers; Frattin, Malone, Gregiore, Hextall, and Kristo the most likely. I think that the 2010-2011 Sioux team will have one of it's deepest and most talented group as forwards we seen in a while. They may not have the super high end guy like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Bochinski, Stafford, Zajac, or Duncan, but this group may be better from top to bottom.

I don't think anyone can get down own this team for not playing to their potential. This team had a TON of heart and seemed to be the "blue collar" team we all love. In the NCAAs its one and done and a slow start, a hot goalie or a fluke bounce can ruin a season for anyone. Making one game a microcosim of the season is really unfair.

Wow.

That's the best summary of this year I've heard yet.

Thanks for being more eloquent and even keeled than I. :lol:

I haven't seen this yet, so can someone lay out how the playoffs work next year?

Sioux win.

Oh, you mean....

First round series just like it is now.

Final Five format:

3, 4, 5, 6 seeds play on Thursday, I think like 4pm and 7:30pm or similar (I'm guessing 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5)

1, 2 seeds + both winners from Thursday play on Friday (I'm guessing 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3)

No 3rd place game, but Championship game on Sat

(Minnesota Rule in effect)

12 teams, 6 series...same way that it worked this year....the only thing that is changing is the Final Five. The five is now refering to the number of games and not the teams.

Thursday - 2 games

Friday - 2 games

Saturday - 1 game

12 teams, 6 series...same way that it worked this year....the only thing that is changing is the Final Five. The five is now refering to the number of games and not the teams.

Thursday - 2 games

Friday - 2 games

Saturday - 1 game

I don't see attendance being as good with the 2 Thursday games. That's an extra day off of work for many.

I don't see attendance being as good with the 2 Thursday games. That's an extra day off of work for many.

I agree. My family and I have come to the last two Final Fives from Bismarck and it is an all day commitment with kids in the car to make the night game now, adding a game earlier in the day is only going to make it harder to make the trip on time. We plan on making this our yearly family trip regardless of who is involved, but this may make it harder.

I agree. My family and I have come to the last two Final Fives from Bismarck and it is an all day commitment with kids in the car to make the night game now, adding a game earlier in the day is only going to make it harder to make the trip on time. We plan on making this our yearly family trip regardless of who is involved, but this may make it harder.

I think it's going to be fun just moved the games around. I won't have to leave much earlier. They just will have to make our rooms up faster at the Holiday INN.

isnt that what the ccha calls it?

Isn't that what the CCHA used to call it? Don't they just do 2 semi's and then championship now? How do they do their playoffs? Does everyone make it? I don't think teams should ever get excluded from conference tourney.