SiouxSports.com Forum

White Out vs Gophers

maximushuber

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way some people talk on this board is absolutely disgusting. Calling things "gay" because you don't like them, and using words like "gayfer" is so juvenile and homophobic. Some Sioux fans actually respect different types of people enough to find other words to use that are not so blatantly bigoted. I hope that those on this board that feel otherwise would either find a new board to share their hate on, or find a new way of thinking. Grow up.

don't pass off your closed-minded definition of a word on others.

i think you are looking into the word gay and the way he used it a lil much. nowadays gay is just a generic insult that can mean whatever you want it to and in this case he was saying that dying your hair a dirty a$$ blonde color is stupid. over time the word gay has changed, it was originally used as a word to describe people as being carefree, and happy...then it turned into a word on describing peoples sexuality and now it is used as a term that can mean anything. so in conclusion i think it is you who needs to grow up and lighten up instead of calling people homophobes. if you have been on this board for awhile you would know the language that is spoke on here and realize its all in good fun and if you dont like it i think its time for you to find a different board to talk on.

Are you kidding me? I really hope that you are a 12 year old kid as your name implies, because a mature adult would have much more common sense than what you just responded with. The fact that the word "gay" is used as an insult is revolting enough. Instead of respecting a group of people that make up 10% of our society, you instead take the word that describes them and use it to put down other people. What if I took a word that describes you, maybe "White" or "Midwestern" or "German" or "Norwegian" or what ever you happen to be, and used it as an insult. And don't give me this crap about the word "gay" being used to mean anything. The way that people nowadays use it is to denigrate and humiliate someone all while hiding their homophobia and bigotry. It's just as easy to find another word to use instead of using the word "gay" to slander someone. And those who respond by calling me "gay" only serve to prove my point.

i think you are looking into the word gay and the way he used it a lil much. nowadays gay is just a generic insult that can mean whatever you want it to and in this case he was saying that dying your hair a dirty a$$ blonde color is stupid. over time the word gay has changed, it was originally used as a word to describe people as being carefree, and happy...then it turned into a word on describing peoples sexuality and now it is used as a term that can mean anything. so in conclusion i think it is you who needs to grow up and lighten up instead of calling people homophobes. if you have been on this board for awhile you would know the language that is spoke on here and realize its all in good fun and if you dont like it i think its time for you to find a different board to talk on.

thank you. my point exactly, only you did a better job of making the point.

Are you kidding me? I really hope that you are a 12 year old kid as your name implies, because a mature adult would have much more common sense than what you just responded with. The fact that the word "gay" is used as an insult is revolting enough. Instead of respecting a group of people that make up 10% of our society, you instead take the word that describes them and use it to put down other people. What if I took a word that describes you, maybe "White" or "Midwestern" or "German" or "Norwegian" or what ever you happen to be, and used it as an insult. And don't give me this crap about the word "gay" being used to mean anything. The way that people nowadays use it is to denigrate and humiliate someone all while hiding their homophobia and bigotry. It's just as easy to find another word to use instead of using the word "gay" to slander someone. And those who respond by calling me "gay" only serve to prove my point.

let's assume somebody had to take a class for work and the class was boring, taught him/her nothing he/she didn't already know, and was generally a waste of time and corporate dollars. if he/she referred to that class as gay, you'd assume that he/she thought the class was interested in other classes of the same gender and that he/she held that against the class?

context, my friend, is very important in language.

i consider it a good thing that the word "gay" is slowly being removed from our vocabulary as a way of demeening somebody simply because of their sexual preference. i'd ask you to stop propogating that out-dated use of the word, but something tells me you're not the type to view things from another angle.

forgive me if i'm incorrect in my assumption.

maybe the non white out talk can be taken to the commuity section and leave this for white out talk :)

do your part fans if possible and get the ralph rockin and send the gophs home so they can make spring break flights!!

if you are talking about common sense then you must lack some. anyone on this board knows that when he said "gay" he wasnt implying that he was actually gay he was implying that he or it was stupid. you have spun it around to make it a bigger deal than it really needs to be. i would challenge you to find a word that would insult me as i am 100% norwegian because it wouldnt bother me. you will just have to deal with it or leave the board if it bothers you so much.

this whole argument is GAY!!!!!!!!! :)

wear white!!!

I'm with AZ on this one. Wear white. I have 3 jerseys, one in each color. If you don't have a white sioux jersey, buy a white shirt.

Don't let gopher fans make fun of us by saying: "nice whiteout", or "only half the fans listened".

let's assume somebody had to take a class for work and the class was boring, taught him/her nothing he/she didn't already know, and was generally a waste of time and corporate dollars. if he/she referred to that class as gay, you'd assume that he/she thought the class was interested in other classes of the same gender and that he/she held that against the class?

context, my friend, is very important in language.

i consider it a good thing that the word "gay" is slowly being removed from our vocabulary as a way of demeening somebody simply because of their sexual preference. i'd ask you to stop propogating that out-dated use of the word, but something tells me you're not the type to view things from another angle.

forgive me if i'm incorrect in my assumption.

You are incorrect. If someone referred to a class that was boring, taught him/her nothing, and was a waste of time as "gay" they would also be inferring that someone who is gay is also boring, teaches nothing, and is a waste of time. I agree that context is very important, and you are not understanding the context of that statement. No one would believe that the boring class is in love with another boring class. The fact is that people do use the word to describe things that they don't like, as referenced in my previous post, and that it would be just as easy to find another word to use.

if you are talking about common sense then you must lack some. anyone on this board knows that when he said "gay" he wasnt implying that he was actually gay he was implying that he or it was stupid. you have spun it around to make it a bigger deal than it really needs to be. i would challenge you to find a word that would insult me as i am 100% norwegian because it wouldnt bother me. you will just have to deal with it or leave the board if it bothers you so much.

this whole argument is GAY!!!!!!!!! :)

This sentence is my point and you are not understanding! He was using the word "gay" and "stupid" interchangeably, which is NOT okay. The same would be said if someone used the word "norweigan" and "stupid" interchangeably.

You are incorrect. If someone referred to a class that was boring, taught him/her nothing, and was a waste of time as "gay" they would also be inferring that someone who is gay is also boring, teaches nothing, and is a waste of time. I agree that context is very important, and you are not understanding the context of that statement. No one would believe that the boring class is in love with another boring class. The fact is that people do use the word to describe things that they don't like, as referenced in my previous post, and that it would be just as easy to find another word to use.

"they would also be inferring that someone who is gay is also boring, teaches nothing, and is a waste of time"

those are your words and your thoughts, not mine. i'm done with this silliness. sorry to everybody else, i should have never got involved in the first place.

7? Thats weird because FSN only showed 5 trophies on Sunday. Are the other ones lost? There is a banner discrepency as well.

Gopher fans like to think that their NIAA co-title in 1929 (shared with Yale) and their 1940 AUU title somehow count toward their NCAA total for championships.

Gopher fans like to think that their NIAA co-title in 1929 (shared with Yale) and their 1940 AUU title somehow count toward their NCAA total for championships.

it should also be noted that all six of their national championships in football were before a game was actually played to determine the champion. therefore, all six are based on poling.

Oh, I got it. So does that mean that in 1907 when some UND students beat some other dudes goes toward our title count too!?

I never said it counted towards our NCAA titles. But the Gopher hockey program does have seven national titles, that fact can't be disputed. The question didn't ask how many NCAA titles we've won. I was just having a little fun jeez. : )