SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Board Private?

Detroit87

Maybe this board should be a private board since so many members do not like different views?

i think sharing different views is a big part of any message board. are you suggesting that if it was made private, administrators would kick anybody off for not having a specific opinion on each matter?

maybe you should go start your own private board where you can share your opinions with the world and only allow those who agree with you to join your community. leave this board alone.

Just to clear up any misconceptions... this board is private.

We choose to let anyone read it because we think that allows it to provide the best service to UND athletics, but to post requires agreeing to abide by the forum terms and rules.

Those terms and rules were also constructed with the goal of best serving UND athletics. To that end, they encourage different points of view (e.g. explicitly permitting people to criticize a team), but explicitly prohibit some particularly destructive behaviors that have proven to make the board a less welcoming place (e.g. personal attacks and defamation).

We've tried to gather a lot of input about how you all think the forum can best do that and foster a UND fan community, and the rules are the product of that feedback over the years. We're always willing to have discussions like this in this forum. The rules are subject to change as the culture and legal environment of the forum changes, but abiding by them is a requirement for posting.

Maybe this board should be a private board since so many members do not like different views?

Most of us don't really look at rules when we register, much like reading and accepting software limitations before installing.

In this case, following is an excerpt from the rules you should read

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

i think sharing different views is a big part of any message board. are you suggesting that if it was made private, administrators would kick anybody off for not having a specific opinion on each matter?

maybe you should go start your own private board where you can share your opinions with the world and only allow those who agree with you to join your community. leave this board alone.

They do kick people off if they are against the logo. The rules are not followed if attack is against someone who is against the logo. They are free game for the supporters. Though if an anti-logo does the same to a pro-logo they are gone.

They do kick people off if they are against the logo. The rules are not followed if attack is against someone who is against the logo. They are free game for the supporters. Though if an anti-logo does the same to a pro-logo they are gone.

Well I have yet to see a nickname opponent come on here without attacking everyone from the local postman to Ralph himself to Ra, the egyptian sun god. So I think their bans are probably well deserved.

jim is fairly tolerant, and a majority of posters here support the sioux nickname and logo, but people who are not are not kicked off because of that belief. now if they do something worthy of being banned, and they are nickname opponents, does that mean that jim and ss.com are discriminatory against them? i am not sure why you post on this board detroit, as you seem to be very negative about this site and board and its rules, but the rules apply to everyone. opinions are welcome... as jim stated, difference of opinion can be a good and productive thing if kept civil.

do you have an example? or are you just having a rough day and thought stirring the pot over at ss.com might cheer you up?

Dude, did you just have a colonoscopy today? :lol: I have read some of your posts today on various threads...wow! We all have bad days, but... :D

I would say that is highly inaccurate a few of the anti-logo people didn't behave themselves and I believe that Siouxcia had a problem with one skippy. Fact remains if they were banned or suspended they probably deserved it.

I think Jim is way more tolerant than some other forums are of minority opinions or controversial viewpoints. And the rules cover common sense things that are unacceptable just about everywhere in society at large. Anyone who has a problem with how this forum is administered is way too sensitive and is just asking for anarchy, which is bad for everyone.

I would say that is highly inaccurate a few of the anti-logo people didn't behave themselves and I believe that Siouxcia had a problem with one skippy. Fact remains if they were banned or suspended they probably deserved it.

I did but that's not why he was banned. AND, he was not banned because he was against the logo. He had a long term relationship with this community until he hacked into my account, posted defammatory, hateful things about his own tribe while pretending to be me. He couldn't get any SS.com member to post what he was accused us of 'how you really feel about the Sioux', so he made it up. Jim was great during that incident, did a great job with 'forensics' and cleared my name. If the other poster had not done those things, I believe he would still be allowed to post his opposition the the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Having said that, I don't miss him. :glare:

Detroit is partially right. I'm not sure the last time a pro nicknamer was kicked off the board.

However, all the anti nicknamers that were kicked off the board violated the rules of the board so it didn't matter what the stance was.

I don't recall fourwindsboy being kicked off the board.

I do recall GrahamKracker though. He did some stuff that were questionable legally.

Detroit is partially right. I'm not sure the last time a pro nicknamer was kicked off the board

You're falling into the same statistical trap as Detroit :)

correlation.png

In all seriousness, I usually ignore the conspiracy theories because they're a waste of time to refute, but they also usually come from far less reputable circles... so, I will take this opportunity to refute the implied nickname-based litmus test (as redwing well knows :glare: ).

I applaud the Siouxsports.com administrators. They walk a tough narrow line, and do it well. The result is that this board is way more interesting than other sites / boards sponsored by other teams.

Proof that this board is interesting? Compare the thread counts, posts, views to any other board, and it shows it works.

You're falling into the same statistical trap as Detroit :)

correlation.png

In all seriousness, I usually ignore the conspiracy theories because they're a waste of time to refute, but they also usually come from far less reputable circles... so, I will take this opportunity to refute the implied nickname-based litmus test (as redwing well knows :glare: ).

Well, maybe I am.

:D

I applaud the Siouxsports.com administrators. They walk a tough narrow line, and do it well. The result is that this board is way more interesting than other sites / boards sponsored by other teams.

Proof that this board is interesting? Compare the thread counts, posts, views to any other board, and it shows it works.

I think Sioux sports is run a lot better than the USCHO.COM.