SiouxSports.com Forum

Dubay back in jail

sioux rube

It's beyond sad how cocaine has destroyed the life of Puffy, a guy who has lived every sports fans dream and had it all go up in flames.

I just looked again at my Twins World Series plaques with the team pictures on them and front and center on both is batboy Jeff Dubay.

Then to be teamed up with Paul Allen doing "PA and Dubay" on KFAN, which even I could get on an AM station out here in Montana, talking sports and other assorted goofy topics and picking on each other and basically having a grand old time for a couple hours a day, and all the fame that went along with it. And of course covering tons of sporting events of all kinds in all kinds of places, especially his real love, Gophers hockey.

Hopefully he can get his life straightened out eventually, he's facing another 6 months in the county workhouse and who knows what kind of supervision after that so if he has a chance to get rid of his demons this might be his best shot.

Good luck Puffy, my favorite Goof fan.

Poor Puffy.

That dam coke is a vicious mistress, and it seems to have her hooks into Jeff pretty seriously. I've watched a lot of friends struggle with substance abuse and addictions. Nothing makes sense and everything makes sense; all at the same time.

Get well.

Get sober, man.

Throw him in the slammer to do hard time for five years. I believe that people deserve second chances, but this is ridiculous. He is making a mockery out of the criminal justice system. Is it gonna take him killing someone on the road after he has taken illegal drugs to get him put away? Why does someone always have to get hurt first before the courts will take real action?

Throw him in the slammer to do hard time for five years. I believe that people deserve second chances, but this is ridiculous. He is making a mockery out of the criminal justice system. Is it gonna take him killing someone on the road after he has taken illegal drugs to get him put away? Why does someone always have to get hurt first before the courts will take real action?

Same thing crossed my mind when I was reading the article, he has flunked out of every substance abuse program he has been in so apparently he won't stay clean unless there is no other option, which in this case means total incarceration. The Judge is not helping him or the public by constantly giving him any option which includes non-supervised time.

Tragically, you can always dig yourself a deeper hole when it comes to substance dependence. Many don't stop until they end up in prisons, psych units, and morgues. The problem makes no sense because it can't be figured out. It just has to be surrendered to an accepted. Sometimes it's hard for us sports guys to accept when we've been beaten by a foe. Dubay definitely has had his butt whooped by drugs. Maybe some day he'll accept it and start along the long road back.

I'm curious about drug addicts and prison. They obviously aren't allowed drugs in prison so... as painful and hard a trip it may seem, wouldn't this solve the problem?

No, prison is by no means easy and going through it PLUS withdrawal will be super tough but...

My friend's younger brother was a drug addict (though not coke) who spent about a year in prison and came out clean. He's drug free and has held a job ever since. Up to that point the longest he had kept a job was 6 months. IIRC it's been 3 or 4 years now probably longer.

Don't know if the same would work for Dubay but... rehab doesn't seem to be working.

Counseling addicts daily, this doesnt surprise me at all.

To answer a few points made by some of you...

Prison vs. treatment....yes jail works but so does treatment if they are ready and there is support Jail works to give people structure that need it but it doesnt necessarily solve the problem of addiction. If someone is suddenly better because of a jail sentence, its because they worked really hard to make changes and they have a degree of resilience as well as support from family and friends to be successful. Not everybody makes those choices or has those resources. But there are a lot of drugs in jails and prisons too. If Dubay is violating the system by failing to comply with his conditions, then the judge should put him away. He'll still need drug treatment during and after release if he has any chance of not having issues with the system or with drugs in the future.

Rock bottom....I went to a training that was done by a famous medical doctor from Vancouver's East Side (Canada's drug capital) and he put rock bottom as (paraphrase)...a homeless, hungry, jobless, abused, neglected, socially isolated, physically and mentally ill addict plagued with legal problems doesnt have a bottom...with all that other sh**, what is their bottom supposed to be, other than death? For most addicts, death really is the only way out.

I'm glad he's back in the workhouse for violating his conditions. If he keeps it up, send him to jail so he doesnt hurt or kill someone else. I hope he can complete and be successful at a treatment program. Its really too bad for him and his friends and family.

I've heard that asking a coke addict to quit snorting is the same as asking a sober person to quit breathing. Still, after he has presumably lost everything (job, money, family, self respect, etc.) how do you not check yourself into rehab?

How has he presumably lost family?

Ripping on a drug addicts family, you must be proud.

I'm sorry you took that seriously. That was a joke. It didn't happen.

Furthermore I think that if you were to abandon an adult at the Mall of America they'd probably have the ability to find their way home without even a breadcrumb trail.

I hate it when you have to explain.

I'm sorry you took that seriously. That was a joke. It didn't happen.

Furthermore I think that if you were to abandon an adult at the Mall of America they'd probably have the ability to find their way home without even a breadcrumb trail.

I hate it when you have to explain.

I realized it was a joke. I get that you don't like the Gophers and that's fine but we are not

talking about a hockey game this is real life and if you want to make jokes about it

that's sad. Before you say lighten up consider if this was happening to your family or close friend.

I realized it was a joke. I get that you don't like the Gophers and that's fine but we are not

talking about a hockey game this is real life and if you want to make jokes about it

that's sad. Before you say lighten up consider if this was happening to your family or close friend.

Dubay's a gopher? When did he play?