SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Olympics - Hockey

AZSIOUX

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an unbelievable game!! I really thought Canada was going to smoke us when the first period shots were 18-6. Kudo's to Miller. Canada could really control the offensive zone and we didn't transition so well, but damn did we hustle. Just review that Kessler goal!

Parise on ice for quite a few and I thought was best skater for US. Toewes had great game as well. And Drury being the one everyone questioned being on roster had a goal (2nd of olympics) and big shot block towards end.

USA wins and gets the bye. Canada falls to the #6 seed and faces Germany with the winner to face Russia in the quarters.

Pressure definitely on the Maple Leaf now.

Not sure I'd be thrilled to be Russia with that seeding. Though obviously the pressure might be bit much for Canada.

Who would US potentially play? Guessing we have to wait on Finland/Sweden?

So the bracket is set such that these two teams could meet again in the gold medal game?

I'd say this game was almost as good as the gold medal WJC game.

If top seed US would play Switzerland-Belarus winner, if #2 Slovakia-Norway winner.

With only the Sweden-Finland game left, seedings nearly set

3 Russia

6 Canada

7 Slovakia

8 Switzerland

9 Belarus

10 Norway

11 Germany

12 Latvia

For the 1-2 seeds

If Finns win in regulation they are 1 and US is 2

Swedes must win by 6 to get top seed

If game goes to overtime - USA 1, winner 2, loser 4 Czechs 5

Other 4-5 scenarios

Even with loss Finns get 4 seed and bye unless they are shutout and give up at least seven goals.

For Swedes to get 4 seed with loss, they must score at least four and can't lose by more than one goal.

When the pros first began to play in the Olympics I was against it. I always liked our amateurs. I've done a complete 180. This Olympic tournament has been some of the best hockey I've seen. It's like an all star game but the guys are not only going full out, they are totally selling out to win. Every country is loaded with top NHL talent, so the tournament is very competitive, and it's great to see our homegrown boys compete and win.

What a game tonight and what a day for the game of hockey (with the 3 rivalry games today).

I hope the NHL owners allow the pros to play in future Olympics. To not do so would be shortsighted. The exposure for the sport is great and can only help to grow the sport.

Fun game to watch. Canada appears to be more skilled but at a few crucial times missed open nets but hit the parts being filled by Miller. Heck, Kevin Spiewak can beat Miller. :D

Nothing wrong with being a little lucky to go along with hard working and opportunistic. Wow, is Kane good.

When the pros first began to play in the Olympics I was against it. I always liked our amateurs. I've done a complete 180. This Olympic tournament has been some of the best hockey I've seen. It's like an all star game but the guys are not only going full out, they are totally selling out to win. Every country is loaded with top NHL talent, so the tournament is very competitive, and it's great to see our homegrown boys compete and win.

What a game tonight and what a day for the game of hockey (with the 3 rivalry games today).

I hope the NHL owners allow the pros to play in future Olympics. To not do so would be shortsighted. The exposure for the sport is great and can only help to grow the sport.

That's why they need to get rid of Bettman. This should absolutely continue. I also like this 12 team format. It's nice to get the Norways and Belarus into the Olympics along with the big guns. It's the only way these other countries can improve and make for an even more competitive event.

That's why they need to get rid of Bettman. This should absolutely continue. I also like this 12 team format. It's nice to get the Norways and Belarus into the Olympics along with the big guns. It's the only way these other countries can improve and make for an even more competitive event.

I would think that the olympics could be used to build up the number of people interested in Hockey. Of course it doesn't help that NBC could care less about that so they aren't talking about the player NHL teams.

It would be a lot better to play the winner of Switzerland v Belarus then the winner of Slovakia v Norway so go Sweden I guess.

That also puts pre-games favorites Sweden, Russia and Canada in the opposite half of the bracket and would likely have the USA facing the Finland=Czech Republic winner for a berth in the gold medal game. So yes, for tonight I'd say Go Sweden, or at least Go overtime!

Bettman interview upcoming on MSNBC. Should be interesting to hear what he says. I guess it's up to us hockey "consumers" to let him know not to do something stupid like messing with this. If anything I would like to see the teams have a chance to play some pre-Olympic games so they could gel a little more before the Games.