SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU is collapsing!

The Sicatoka

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They hope the building will be ready for the return of clases on Jan. 11?

It looks to me like the structural integrity of the whole right side is destroyed, it'll take quite a while to fix that, especially in winter.

Wouldn't want to be the excavators insurance company on this one.

Wasn't that the cheerleaders dorm?;)

This is the Whiskey Joe curse, just like the curse of the Bambino. Before he quit, Chappy flew down to New Orleans (they took away his first class travel so he flapped his ears like crazy and flew himself down there) and hired one of those black magic Cajuns to put a curse on NDSU. This is only the beginning. Everything good that happened there in the last 10-15 years, or however long he was there, was because he made it happen. Just ask him. They won't be able to survive without him, especially with this curse! They will need to bury a David Ortiz jersey in the backyard (if they ever get someone to finish the landscaping) to lift the curse. Mark my words.

Imagine if that would've happened early Friday morning instead of early Sunday morning.

I see fresh material for Answer Guy here.

The building was closed for renovation, which likely caused the collapse. I would hate to be the contractor doing the remodel. Actually I would really hate to be the bonding company for said contractor. Fortunately the gas had been shut off, otherwise this could have been really ugly.

The quote that the building should be ready when students come back January 11 is pretty interesting. You do not need to be a structural engineer to realize it is not possible to repair this kind of damage in two weeks. One side of the foundation is destroyed. I would question whether the building can be saved.

I spent a lot of time in Minard Hall during my NDSU days. I hope it can be repaired.

The building was closed for renovation, which likely caused the collapse.

I was thinking not in terms of gas lines or people, as it is "Winter" <cough-Christmas-cough> break, but more in terms of the 18 inches of snow and the north wind that would've packed it into that big opening. Imagine: mess times two.

I was thinking not in terms of gas lines or people, as it is "Winter" <cough-Christmas-cough> break, but more in terms of the 18 inches of snow and the north wind that would've packed it into that big opening. Imagine: mess times two.

Ah yes, that would have added to the problem. I would love to meet the contractor that can make the building usable in two weeks. Fortunately, NDSU has a $2 million building not far from Minard that is currently sitting vacant. I am sure the dining room would make a great lecture hall.

The latest update:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/264086/group/home/

KFGO Radio New is reporting that just the stabilization effort (to stop further damage and collapse) could add an extra $500k to the project costs.

Why not just demolish that wing and move on? With all the engineering studies required prior to occupation, wouldn't that be more cost effective?

But then again, if they do stabilize it, remodel it into the new President's home. ;) What's one more money pit?

Really strange how the pillars of NDSU (Chapman's legacy, football, budgeting, enrollment waivers) all seem to be literally collapsing simultaneously.

What exactly should NDSU have done? Can you imagine the outrage if they would have turned down the low bid?

Some government entities require follow-ups with the bidders when there is a greater than 10% spread in bids to ensure that no group overread or underread the specifications.