SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrrrrrr, the ignorance of typical American sports fans. :D

It almost makes me ashamed to admit that I'm an American sports fan.

C'mon, let's not be overly dramatic, DaveK. Americans are saturated with Major League Baseball, the NFL, NBA, Nascar, NCAA sports, and the NHL. On any given winter Sunday in New York, it's quite possible to have the Knicks, Jets, Giants, Rangers and Islanders all playing. Most major US cities have at least 3 of the 4 major sports in their community. Canadian cities have one (unless you count the CFL as a major sport, and I suppose you could make that argument), with the exception of Toronto, which obviously has the NBA and MLB in addition to the NHL. I can certainly forgive American "ignorance" in not realizing that the World Junior Hockey Tournament is going on somewhere in Canada. Like it or not, hockey is a niche market in the United States, not the national sport.

However, to back up your point, I do have a funny story from the World Cup of Hockey held in 2004. The tournament included several games held at the Xcel Energy Center in September of that year, including Russia vs the USA. It was heavily promoted in the local media and the build-up of this as a huge match-up was fairly impressive. On our way to the hockey rink, my buddy and I were stopped by some pedestrians on the street given the following greeting: "Who do the Wild play tonight? I didn't know the NHL had started already!". ;)

So if the US wins World Junior gold, will DaveK be, for the first time in his life, proud to be an American? :D

I don't know but it will make me happy that we win, I guess we are part of that NICHE that likes hockey. :);) nothing would make me more happy than to watch team USA win the gold.

My feelings:

If <insert team here> is playing Canada in the championship game I will cheer for the <insert team here>.

YEP, that is how I feel. I don't hate Canadians I just want their teams to lose in the olympics and WJC.

Last spring when the Canadians lost in the 3rd place game in Fargo I was cheering for the team that beat

them.

YEP, that is how I feel. I don't hate Canadians I just want their teams to lose in the olympics and WJC.

Last spring when the Canadians lost in the 3rd place game in Fargo I was cheering for the team that beat

them.

their fans were all like, "it's okay...we've won 5 straight world jrs so this doesn't matter and the USA will never beat us there" in defense of their performance at under-18s if any USA fans tried to rub it in.

them.

Ohh heck yeah! I was a huge Finland fan that day! I couldn't pronounce any of their names, but I was all about the Finns taking a medal. :D

That was a great game too. I wish Russia would have showed up for the gold medal game.

C'mon, let's not be overly dramatic, DaveK. Americans are saturated with Major League Baseball, the NFL, NBA, Nascar, NCAA sports, and the NHL. On any given winter Sunday in New York, it's quite possible to have the Knicks, Jets, Giants, Rangers and Islanders all playing. Most major US cities have at least 3 of the 4 major sports in their community. Canadian cities have one (unless you count the CFL as a major sport, and I suppose you could make that argument), with the exception of Toronto, which obviously has the NBA and MLB in addition to the NHL. I can certainly forgive American "ignorance" in not realizing that the World Junior Hockey Tournament is going on somewhere in Canada. Like it or not, hockey is a niche market in the United States, not the national sport.

However, to back up your point, I do have a funny story from the World Cup of Hockey held in 2004. The tournament included several games held at the Xcel Energy Center in September of that year, including Russia vs the USA. It was heavily promoted in the local media and the build-up of this as a huge match-up was fairly impressive. On our way to the hockey rink, my buddy and I were stopped by some pedestrians on the street given the following greeting: "Who do the Wild play tonight? I didn't know the NHL had started already!". :D

This happened in the "state of hockey";)? Say it ain't so!

Thanks, sagard, for reminding me of some of the darkest days in hockey history...

I didn't say you had to enjoy those games. :D

Seems to me like UND had some pretty good wins over the last decade to compare with the USA WJC team's win.

Beat Canada! I don't doubt they can win it the hard way, but I doubt our guys can so we need to win tonight.

I didn't say you had to enjoy those games. :D

Seems to me like UND had some pretty good wins over the last decade to compare with the USA WJC team's win.

Beat Canada! I don't doubt they can win it the hard way, but I doubt our guys can so we need to win tonight.

Trust me, I didn't.

Yea, the past decade really had some entertaining Sioux and Gopher moments, didn't it? 2000, 2002, and 2003 don't seem that far away...but they sure are!

I liek stepan and kristo together

team usa lines

USA LINES

Forwards:

Zucker - Bourque - Schroeder

Kreider - Jenks - Morin

D'Amigo - Stepan - Kristo

Palmieri - Johnson - McRae

Walker

Defence:

Warsofsky - Carlson

Donovan - Fowler

Gardner - Ramage

Lashoff

Goalies:

Campbell

Lee

Would getting #8 make you happier, Goon? That's what I thought.

My Wish List is kind of long, I think I would love to watch UND win another NCAA title it's been almost 10 years since the last title. I would also take a USA Olympic team winning a gold medal in Vancouver, The USA WJC team beat the Canadians, and for them to also win the gold this season, the Boston Bruins winning a Stanley Cup their first since the early 1970's and the Wild win their first Stanley Cup. Lastly, I want the Vikings to win the Super Bowl and finally have Childress resign as coach of the Vikings.