SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

Not sure how you can blend atmospheric science, the Nanooks of the Northlands, and hockey together from my post but...

Whoopiedoo on those three.

Yeah, they're good but I don't care. They're not on the team.

In any case, they're walking all over the weaker teams in the tourney thus far.

They look to be a strong team. Not having the schedule in front of me, I'd love to see Canada play Russia before we play Canada just to see what Canada would be like against a tougher opponent before we take them on.

I like their players well enough but Hockey Canada politically is no better than USA Hockey (though they claim they are) and their fans are some of the most arrogant sports fans on the face of the known universe.

redwing77,

Agree with you 100%; it's too early to judge these teams. The Swiss have a good goaltender and that's about it. Latvia looks to have nothing. The Czechs have fallen from where they were five years ago in Grand Forks. The games against the bottom feeders are only good to figure out your defensive pairings and forward line combos. The U.S. will probably smoke Latvia too, but that won't prove anything.

Personally, I like the U.S. team better this year than I have since we won the gold in 2004. The roster is built on speed and athleticism, the goaltending looks to be solid and we have the best developer of young hockey talent (Dean Blais) as the head coach. This team should win a metal this year.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redwing77,

Agree with you 100%; it's too early to judge these teams. The Swiss have a good goaltender and that's about it. Latvia looks to have nothing. The Czechs have fallen from where they were five years ago in Grand Forks. The games against the bottom feeders are only good to figure out your defensive pairings and forward line combos. The U.S. will probably smoke Latvia too, but that won't prove anything.

Personally, I like the U.S. team better this year than I have since we won the gold in 2004. The roster is built on speed and athleticism, the goaltending looks to be solid and we have the best developer of young hockey talent (Dean Blais) as the head coach. This team should win a metal this year.

I agree.

But it is so hard to take the high road and acknowledge that Canada is indeed the team to beat when their fans are just so gosh darn arrogant!

And I think the US will medal this year as well... I hope it is Gold (obviously).

I agree.

But it is so hard to take the high road and acknowledge that Canada is indeed the team to beat when their fans are just so gosh darn arrogant!

And I think the US will medal this year as well... I hope it is Gold (obviously).

redwing77,

I agree with you on the arrogance factor, but I kind of like being the underdog; that makes it even better when we beat them! And all that arrogance does is motivate other countries to improve their programs. Didn't Don Cherry make the comment before the 2006 winter games that Canada could field three teams and win Gold, Silver and Bronze? And what did the "Maple Leaf Boys" win? As I recall, it was Jack Squat nothing. I am willing to bet comments like that only serve to motivate the other teams vying for Gold.

So let Canada be the team to beat every year; I'll gladly accept the underdog role.