SiouxSports.com Forum

Step forward for indoor facility

gfhockey

Didn't realize indor facilities were so rare at the FCS level (excluding USD, NAU, Idaho St, of course!). This should help make UND football THE FCS recruiting destination in the Upper Midwest.

I would agree that the indoor facility will help immensely in recruiting. But probably the biggest recruiting factor will be whether or not the money can be raised to basically move football operations to the new facility. Having coaches offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, etc. attached to the new facility would be huge for the football program.

Hopefully, a matching funds commitment or better. If this happens by 2011, what an awesome way to finish off the transition: our greatest facility need being met. Rather have the bricks and mortar complete than some short-lived fame but no facility upgrades, like a certain school down the road.

There has to be a financial commitment coming from somewhere to be moving forward with Old REA demolition so quickly. MWSU's facility has a build time of roughly one year so it's very possible UND could have its new facility built by the 2012 season at the latest.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that the indoor facility will help immensely in recruiting. But probably the biggest recruiting factor will be whether or not the money can be raised to basically move football operations to the new facility. Having coaches offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, etc. attached to the new facility would be huge for the football program.

There has to be a financial commitment coming from somewhere to be moving forward with Old REA demolition so quickly. MWSU's facility has a build time of roughly one year so it's very possible UND could have its new facility built by the 2012 season at the latest.

Is UND football still housed in the memorial stadium grand stand? Or did they move operations to the Alerus?

I can not wait to get my request for support in the mail.. I can not give a lot, but they will get a check in the mail the next day. I can not wait for next season to start already. I am execited!!!

Honestly, why wait. Write the check and put a note with it designating usage of the funds.

I find it interesting that the SBoHE approved the project last week and I have yet to see it appear in the GFH. I'm thinking that there is a larger story in the works than mere approval of the project and that the GFH is waiting to present a full story on the project. Well, I'm hoping anyway. :silly:

I find it interesting that the SBoHE approved the project last week and I have yet to see it appear in the GFH. I'm thinking that there is a larger story in the works than mere approval of the project and that the GFH is waiting to present a full story on the project. Well, I'm hoping anyway. :silly:

Here's hopin' with ya......

Please tell me they would not actually paint the endzone lines on the track....and please please please tell me they would not have receivers running routes onto the track...

Holy-hay-zeus man, get your knickers untwisted. It's an artist's rendering.

Just wondering how the Sioux name change would affect donations to this facility?

Are there enough football & track & field big money supporters that don't care about the Sioux name to still pull this off?

Doubtful.

Most people who have that kind of money have learned how to live their lives without that level of bitterness and hatefulness.

Just wondering how the Sioux name change would affect donations to this facility?

Are there enough football & track & field big money supporters that don't care about the Sioux name to still pull this off?

Saying "don't care about the Sioux name" is probably way too strong for most people. A lot of people care about the name, but either have gotten tired of the constant battle or realize that it may have to be changed for a variety of reasons, yet they support the University and the Athletic Department. A lot of us realize that as great as the name and logo are, there are things that are more important. I'm certainly not a big money supporter and I am not going to try to speak for them. I think the range of feeling on the issue is all over the board. A name change will definitely affect donations for this facility and for the rest of the University. But I don't think that anyone can really accurately determine exactly how much a potential name change will affect any of the donations.

Doubtful.

Most people who have that kind of money have learned how to live their lives without that level of bitterness and hatefulness.

I hope the SBoHE & UND administation don't live in the same fantasy world you do.

This will be a rude awakening to them & I believe getting this built amidst the Sioux name controversy is going to

be an extremely tough sell to the Alumni.

I hope the SBoHE & UND administation don't live in the same fantasy world you do.

This will be a rude awakening to them & I believe getting this built amidst the Sioux name controversy is going to

be an extremely tough sell to the Alumni.

I see where you are coming from..........................I've been adamantly witholding money ever since we went away from the Flickertail moniker.............. :) Because, afterall, the most important thing about college athletics is not the student-athletes nor what they accomplish on the field of play...........the most important thing about college athletics is what we get to refer to the players as during the climax of a Gary Glitter song. :silly:

Wasn't an indoor practice facility (perhaps a different design/cost) for UND already approved by the SBoHE around the same time the NDSU's BSA renovation was approved?

Wasn't an indoor practice facility (perhaps a different design/cost) for UND already approved by the SBoHE around the same time the NDSU's BSA renovation was approved?

It's been on every budget since 2003. It started as a $6M project in 2003. It was upped to $15M in 2007, and $19.5M in 2009. The BSA renovation was added to the NDUS budget in 2003 at $15M, then upped to $25.5M in 2007. Each approval can last for four years before it must be renewed.

Now, there might be a seperate request needed to start raising funds for the project. I don't know if UND took that step for the previous versions of the project.

• 2 weeks later...