SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU hiring freeze

homer

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After reviewing the details of NDSU's adjusted appropriated budget for 2009-2010 it is apparent that our tuition revenue will not meet budget projections. I believe two major factors have contributed to this: lagging tuition collections and a greater number of tuition waivers.

Therefore,
the (NDSU) budget shortfall amounts to approximately $1.8 million
."

Now press that against this:

" ...
a $1.55 million cost overrun for a new home for North Dakota State University's president
, ... "

Add back one $22k Washington DC boondoggle and the expense of the $83k (average of last five years) "magic credit card" someone had, and there might not be a $1.8 million shortfall at NDSU.

The president of NDSU said the house had nothing to do with the budget shortage. It was reported today on KFGO. It looks like they got a lot of students but also a lot of tuition waivers. Time to make a collection from the students NDSU to balance the books.

You mean they don't give a $1.8 million dollar bonus to the school with the most students? Boy a person sure would have with they way ndsu supporters throw that enrollment number around.

Kinda like enroll now pay later...much later like after graduation. :huh:

That's wonderful.

But wouldn't it be nice if the NDSU Foundation had that "bling" to cover this gap?

But isn't it more troubling that they have a $1.8 million budget shortfall, plus $1.5 million overage on the house, plus the other assorted things that the Foundation paid for? The Foundation shouldn't have to pay for budget shortfalls, it should be providing for scholarships and other extras for the students.

But isn't it more troubling that they have a $1.8 million budget shortfall, plus $1.5 million overage on the house, plus the other assorted things that the Foundation paid for? The Foundation shouldn't have to pay for budget shortfalls, it should be providing for scholarships and other extras for the students.

Looked at that way, that's a real "ouch" to the students.

Apparently most of the students at NDSU don't pay tuition, so why bother with scholarships :huh: . Collections? When I was in college (not that long ago) you paid your tuition or you were dropped from your classes. Has something changed?

"After reviewing the details of NDSU's adjusted appropriated budget for 2009-2010 it is apparent that our tuition revenue will not meet budget projections. I believe two major factors have contributed to this:

lagging tuition collections and a greater number of tuition waivers."

Wouldn't a tuition waiver be unnecessary if the NDSU foundation were to use their money for scholarships.

It's too bad that the state legislature was such pikers and didn't increase spending for higher education.

Oh wait, they gave the higher education system increases over 60% over the last two sessions.

New NDSU President doesn't expect freeze to affect football staff

With possibly three coaching vacancies on the football staff, North Dakota State president Richard Hanson on Wednesday said a campus hiring freeze will probably not prohibit head coach Craig Bohl from filling those positions.

Bohl: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Dick. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

Hanson: Not good.

Bohl: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Hanson: I'd say more like one out of one point eight million.

[pause]

Bohl: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH

Where's VMeister?

Another source of the financial problems at Silo Tech would be the enormous cost overruns on their building in downtown Fargo. It probably costs more than just that for the move as well. I heard they're paying to rent an empty building downtown for some reason I don't understand.

I don't get the desire of these guys to increase expenses and hassles for the students by having a downtown presence.

Wouldn't a tuition waiver be unnecessary if the NDSU foundation were to use their money for scholarships.

It's too bad that the state legislature was such pikers and didn't increase spending for higher education.

Oh wait, they gave the higher education system increases over 60% over the last two sessions.

It really depends on the set up and the reason for the tuition waivers. A lot of waivers are given to employees or to graduate assistants. Giving them scholarships would probably have tax implications of some kind, the money received for working would be considered income. Or there might be laws about connecting scholarships with work. There might be other reasons that giving a tuition waiver might be more desirable than awarding scholarships. In most cases tuition waivers are a pretty cost effective reward for employees. Not collecting tuition would be a bigger problem in my mind.

It really depends on the set up and the reason for the tuition waivers. A lot of waivers are given to employees or to graduate assistants. Giving them scholarships would probably have tax implications of some kind, the money received for working would be considered income. Or there might be laws about connecting scholarships with work. There might be other reasons that giving a tuition waiver might be more desirable than awarding scholarships. In most cases tuition waivers are a pretty cost effective reward for employees. Not collecting tuition would be a bigger problem in my mind.

Good point. I know UND started giving away tuition for employees as a perk a couple years ago. I disagree with the practice myself, not that you don't make a good point. I think it makes it even easier to raise tuition if the guys that you work with don't have to worry about paying it.

Good point. I know UND started giving away tuition for employees as a perk a couple years ago. I disagree with the practice myself, not that you don't make a good point. I think it makes it even easier to raise tuition if the guys that you work with don't have to worry about paying it.

It also helps the schools increase the education level of their employees. I believe that all full time employees are given up to 3 credits of tuition waiver per semester. That is 1 regular class per semester. A lot of employees take advantage of it to work on regular degrees or graduate degrees, probably a lot more than would if they had to pay for it. So the schools end up with a more educated work force, probably not a bad thing for an institute of higher learning.

It also helps the schools increase the education level of their employees. I believe that all full time employees are given up to 3 credits of tuition waiver per semester. That is 1 regular class per semester. A lot of employees take advantage of it to work on regular degrees or graduate degrees, probably a lot more than would if they had to pay for it. So the schools end up with a more educated work force, probably not a bad thing for an institute of higher learning.

Sure and those working at Cow College could definitely have their lives improved by learning how to count goats and shovel out barns and important things like that.

It seems as though the Bisonville forensic accountants have more to worry about than the UND athletic budget these days? What's this I hear about tuition waivers? Wasn't that a favorite talking point?

You are correct. If my memory serves me, they were very focused on the number of tuition waivers that UND used to keep the athletic department out of the red. I'm sure that NDSU wouldn't stoop to such a practice. :huh:

I don't know the policy at UND but I believe the children of NDSU employees get/can qualify for full or partial tuition waivers as well. Could run into some pretty significant numbers. I never worry about the NDSU athletic budget; they've always got it covered -- to the penny. :huh:

I don't know the policy at UND but I believe the children of NDSU employees get/can qualify for full or partial tuition waivers as well. Could run into some pretty significant numbers. I never worry about the NDSU athletic budget; they've always got it covered -- to the penny. :huh:

I believe that UND has a similar policy regarding tuition waivers for the children of employees, but I don't know the details.

Bison athletics: "It's a cash cow!".

Meh, needs a little work. Still better than "stream yellow" though.