SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU hiring freeze

homer

Maybe...the US Postal Service neglected to deliver the forms in a timely manner.

NDSU: The check's in the mail, in the outbox at the bank, that's holding money back, from just NDSU. :silly:

Let me guess. There's a story here about homework and your dog's appetite too. :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you've given out $11,000,000.00 in freebies and come up $2,000,000.00 short in the bank, maybe it's time to cut back on the freebies to make the books balance.

I love how Dr. Hanson's been on the job for less than a month and he's already a smuck because he's not running with Joe "Enron" Chapman accounting.

When you've given out $11,000,000.00 in freebies and come up $2,000,000.00 short in the bank, maybe it's time to cut back on the freebies to make the books balance.

I love how Dr. Hanson's been on the job for less than a month and he's already a smuck because he's not running with Joe "Enron" Chapman accounting.

He's a SU alum and is probably a lilttle shocked by mess Joe left behind. Kudos to Hanson for trying to institute some accountability and reponsibility. He seems to be the anti-Joe from what you see and read here in Fargo.

How about a couple facts.

First, NDSU is not running a deficit. It might in the future, but not at this moment. The hiring freeze is precautionary, not reactionary. Where do the bulk of tuition payments come from? Answer: banks and other lenders. Who took the biggest hit last year and are slow to lend money? Banks and other lenders. Anyone else think that banks might be waiting until the last minute to transfer the student loan money in order to maximize their interest potential? Banks would never do that, right? [/sarcasm]...

What we actually have here is one of the worst presidents ever to sit in an office. His public relations skills make that Iraqi information minister guy look like a genius. It doesn't help that the Forum has started acting like a junkie trying to score his next fix.(I'm watching Law & Order) Instead of helping it get clean, our idiot of an interim president is serving up helpings of crack with a beautiful meth and speed side dish. And the laughs just keep coming with today's story. As much as I want to, I can't completely blame the Forum for running this stuff. They're desperate to sell papers in a dying industry, and anti-NDSU stories are proven to do that. Sometimes rearranging deck chairs is all you can do before you go under.

The currency of the day over at Bisonville: Rampant paranoia and wild-eyed speculation posing as "a couple of facts."

The Bison faithful can't comprehend that Joe Chapman's say-anything, hide-the-numbers, in-your-face style brought a jump in enrollment (tuition waivers?) and research dollars (federal earmarks?) but perhaps at a significant cost in terms of good will. SBoHE members and legislators (UND grads, of course) wonder about cost overruns at the new president's home. The downtown businesses community, as reported in the "anti-NDSU" Forum, is offended by SU's decision to open a bookstore downtown in direct competition with private business. (Needed to cash flow excess space leased downtown?) And now income is falling below projections, perhaps because the university is giving away the store (nearly twice the tuition waivers as UND) to buy growth in graduate enrollment.

My own speculation is that we haven't seen the last of the bad news out of NDSU, and Hanson, at the urging of SBoHE administration, is trying to build good will by taking a transparent, cautious approach before the next shoe drops. But this isn't good enough for many of the Bison faithful, who long for more of Ol' Joe's style and are ripping on Hanson at every turn. Not everyone is buying into it, though. As one Bisonville poster wrote recently, "bull$%!# and bluster aren't going to cut it this time."

My own speculation is that we haven't seen the last of the bad news out of NDSU, and Hanson, at the urging of SBoHE administration, is trying to build good will by taking a transparent, cautious approach before the next shoe drops. But this isn't good enough for many of the Bison faithful, who long for more of Ol' Joe's style and are ripping on Hanson at every turn. Not everyone is buying into it, though. As one Bisonville poster wrote recently, "bull$%!# and bluster aren't going to cut it this time."

Hanson, who is an ex-bison FB player, is actually a UND plant. :silly:

Because NDSU fans elevated a crooked Chapman to god-like status and worshiped nearly every decision, and ND officials let Chapman get away with his cronyisms for years, any future NDSU leader is going to face major issues: not only because of the corruption and character issues yet to be unveiled, but because of the blinding alumni fan devotion to Chairman Joe. Really sad how a school became a cult-like environment of personality, not principles.

The view from out west.... Board needs to address tuition waivers

The problem is regular resident students whose families pay the taxes that help fund our state institutions seldom benefit from a tuition waiver. This is where the community relations issue arises.

The higher ed board needs to get tough on tuition waivers with a system-wide policy that sets specific guidelines that all institutions must follow. The respective institutions should not be allowed to adopt their own procedures for tuition waivers in addition to those authorized by the higher ed board.

The credibility of the financial management on our state campuses took a serious hit this year as a result of the well-publicized cost overruns associated with building projects at NDSU and the University of North Dakota. Now the news out of NDSU is a financial shortfall of nearly $2 million associated with tuition waivers the institution chose to give students.

It

This is ridiculous. Chapman's mansion building affected UND, but this is worse. Chapman's accounting games and corruption will now likely how UND budgets internally. If the Board is going to slap some hands, it needs to be the perpetrators of any deficit (i.e. NDSU), and not hinder those organizations that have shown the capacity and competence to remain in budget (all the other schools).

NDSU President Hanson is going to be on KFGO around 4:20pm to talk about the hiring freeze. So i hope those idiots at Bisonville (Chapman lovers) listen to what he has to say, i feel sorry for this guy look at the mess Chapman left the college in.

Yeah, a potential budget deficit that is a fraction of a percent of NDSU's total budget is quite a mess. I realize Chapman wasn't perfect but some of this is on Hanson for lacking the PR skills needed to run a large university.

Yeah, a potential budget deficit that is a fraction of a percent of NDSU's total budget is quite a mess. I realize Chapman wasn't perfect but some of this is on Hanson for lacking the PR skills needed to run a large university.

Hey Rube - Chapman took you morons to the cleaners then RAN AWAY while you all cried....JoeGOES to a comfy retirement...and you douches think you still "LOST" something.

He played you all the time and you didn't realize it - and now the chickens (DEFICIT) are coming home to roost...Happy New Year! You guys are REALLY going to need it....hahhahahahahahhahahahahahaaa!

How is Hanson's PR affecting the budget?? Chapman ran the budget up to a few weeks ago and now NDSU is in the red now Hanson is trying to find ways to get NDSU in the black..its not the federal government where a deficit is okay. Boy you Chapman lovers are really blind when it comes to money.

How is Hanson's PR affecting the budget?? Chapman ran the budget up to a few weeks ago and now NDSU is in the red now Hanson is trying to find ways to get NDSU in the black..its not the federal government where a deficit is okay. Boy you Chapman lovers are really blind when it comes to money.

NDSU's budget is $275 million, the school is potentially $1.8 million over. It is a fraction of a percent at the worst, the school is hardly swimming in red ink. So unless this deficit grows a 0 behind the 1, Chapman didn't exactly leave a horrible mess in this instance. The house is a mess, his questionable spending is another(in regards to what the foundation gave him not state/tutition money), but this deficit is hardly anything significant.

I have no problem with the hiring freeze, I have major problem in regards to how Hanson handled it all. PR is a major part of what a president does, fixing the budget is another but if you are going to run a University of this size you better be able to handle the PR side of things. But then again he is just an interim, he would be under qualified for the full time job and that is a major reason as to why he got the job in the first place.

NDSU's budget is $275 million, the school is potentially $1.8 million over. It is a fraction of a percent at the worst, the school is hardly swimming in red ink.

Interesting philosophy ...

From UND's Budget Office (link works) website:

http://www.und.edu/dept/undbudgt/html/guidelines.html

Institutional Budget Philosophy

The annual budget is a plan based on the best information available at any given time. Budgets are completed for most types of funds (appropriated, local, grant/contract, etc.). Each department is expected to assume responsibility for managing the resources assigned to it. This includes living within funds available. Deficits are not an acceptable practice.

Those are State funds, and State deficits if NDSU can't cover them, so it's all answerable to the Legislature.

Have fun with "but it's only a couple million" in Bismarck. And have more fun asking for more freedom to run budgets down the road.

And this harms all of us in the NDUS. It's Chapman's gift that'll keep on giving.

NDSU's budget is $275 million, the school is potentially $1.8 million over. It is a fraction of a percent at the worst, the school is hardly swimming in red ink. So unless this deficit grows a 0 behind the 1, Chapman didn't exactly leave a horrible mess in this instance. The house is a mess, his questionable spending is another(in regards to what the foundation gave him not state/tutition money), but this deficit is hardly anything significant.

I have no problem with the hiring freeze, I have major problem in regards to how Hanson handled it all. PR is a major part of what a president does, fixing the budget is another but if you are going to run a University of this size you better be able to handle the PR side of things. But then again he is just an interim, he would be under qualified for the full time job and that is a major reason as to why he got the job in the first place.

So when you go to pay your bills and are $20 short, do you just tell the bank "don't worry about it, it's just a fraction of a percent"? I don't think banks really care when it comes to collections, if you don't have the money, you will be paying fines and late fees. 1.8 Mil is alot of money to come up with expecially if it is the end of the year and you have to wait for the next round of student loan payments to fund your accounts.

What part of potential deficit do you guys not understand? Why do you think he put the freeze on hiring? You collect the outstanding tuition, trim some of the fat, and hopefully when it is all said and done there is no longer a deficit. Hanson's statements seem to point to the budget being balanced when it is all said done, like I said before if Chapman had left a significant deficit then you can start with name calling and finger pointing.

Call me when NDSU is asking the state for a bailout.

What part of potential deficit do you guys not understand? Why do you think he put the freeze on hiring? You collect the outstanding tuition, trim some of the fat, and hopefully when it is all said and done there is no longer a deficit.

Call me when NDSU is asking the state for a bailout.

Not going to happen with Hanson bringing a little respect back to the SU presidency...even if he is only on a interim basis. Now if "Ponzi" Joe was still there, he'd swindle whatever he could get from the state!

So what you are saying is he doesn't have the "dog and pony show" up and running like Joe did???

So what you are saying is he doesn't have the "dog and pony show" up and running like Joe did???

Joe wasn't exactly a PR wizard(the house situation was obviously handled poorly). What Joe had was a way of getting things done, maybe it wasn't always the "right way" but his success seemed to keep the detractors at bay until the end.