SiouxSports.com Forum

So ..., what's stopping a UND-NDSU game now?

star2city

Iowa and Iowa State draw better for those games than Army, Kent State, SDSU ect....Because of the In-State rivalary

Yes, UNI gets paid, but I'm sure they could get more going to Michigan, Minnesota, ect....Just a guess...?

I know in BBAll Mac told me that they have a Home and Away agreement signed with UNI (both schools UI & ISU), for alternating home and Away games every year with UNI for like the next 10 years......Mac and Rick Hartzel worked on that and set it in motion before he left...

Iowa and Iowa State draw better for those games than Army, Kent State, SDSU ect....Because of the In-State rivalary

Yes, UNI gets paid, but I'm sure they could get more going to Michigan, Minnesota, ect....Just a guess...?

I know in BBAll Mac told me that they have a Home and Away agreement signed with UNI (both schools UI & ISU), for alternating home and Away games every year with UNI for like the next 10 years......Mac and Rick Hartzel worked on that and set it in motion before he left...

Like Bincitysioux has mentioned many times, why can't UND and NDSU get something put together in basketball and some of the non-revenue sports? The longer that goes on the more ridiculous it looks for both schools. Roper1313 brings up a good question on whether there are any rivalry games that are annual and non-conference. Looks like UC-Davis and Sacramento State have kept going. http://www.petespoll.com/trophies.shtml

Of course it's possible for NDSU to schedule UND every year, but it's not as easy as it seems. Of those three non-conference games, Taylor wants one to be an away FBS money game. So that only leaves two non-conference FCS games. I think he wants one to be a home guaranteed win against an FCS cupcake. If the other is against UND every year, that basically means NDSU has no room to ever schedule other quality non-conference home-and-homes with the likes of Montana, Montana State, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, etc. I suppose he could get rid of the cupcake game, but that's easier said than done. I also believe Taylor has talked about the importance of having 6 homes games as much as possible. Six homes games is not possible when NDSU plays at UND unless it is a rare year where 13 games is allowed by the NCAA

I think a home-and-home now and then will get scheduled, but I think an annual rotating game is not going to happen unless the schools end up in the same conference someday. I know Mussman doesn't want to play it unless it's an annual game, but he doesn't get to make the decision. I'm sure Faison will agree to a home-and-home.

I think it benifits both programs to have a yearly game between the two teams.

I think it benifits both programs to have a yearly game between the two teams.

I agree with you in theory, but in reality it's not that simple. The chance of renewing an annual rotating game with NDSU was effectively killed when NDSU was admitted into the Gateway Football Conference (now Missouri Valley Football Conference). With Chapman's resignation, I think a home-and-home will be scheduled for sometime in the next decade, but it will probably be just two games.

If you want to see an annual game renewed, hope for some major shakeups in conference affiliation. That's basically the only way it will happen because the Missouri Valley Football Conference is sitting pretty right now with 9 teams, which is the ideal number for a football-only conference.

Look guys, the perfect example was already brought up in a round-about way (just not stated explicitly): Iowa vs Iowa State.

They are in different conferences (Big Ten and Big XII), but still find a way every year to get the game scheduled. It's a fantastic in-state rivalry that is the talk of the state every year.

Just like NDSU and UND should/can be.

Look guys, the perfect example was already brought up in a round-about way (just not stated explicitly): Iowa vs Iowa State.

They are in different conferences (Big Ten and Big XII), but still find a way every year to get the game scheduled. It's a fantastic in-state rivalry that is the talk of the state every year.

Just like NDSU and UND should/can be.

The Iowa-Iowa State rivalry required legislative action to get renewed after it was halted for 44 years. I don't think we want to use that rivalry as a model. :ohmy:

And don't FBS teams get an extra game? I believe both Iowa and Iowa State have four non-conference games every year. It's a lot easier to make it work with that extra non-conference game.

Like Bincitysioux has mentioned many times, why can't UND and NDSU get something put together in basketball and some of the non-revenue sports? The longer that goes on the more ridiculous it looks for both schools. Roper1313 brings up a good question on whether there are any rivalry games that are annual and non-conference. Looks like UC-Davis and Sacramento State have kept going. http://www.petespoll.com/trophies.shtml

Talylor told a group that I was with that we'll start seeing UND-NDSU games in sports besides football starting next year. I haven't seen any schedules to confirm it, but that's what he said.

I think until NDSU can get UND into the MVFC, we'll have to make do with home/home contracts.

I'd like to see NDSU schedule a game against a team from the Big Ten or Big XII every season and then schedule home/home games against good FCS teams for both the other games. I'm sick of seeing us play cupcakes.

It's time to get some good FCS competition from outside the MVFC in the dome. Bring on the Big Sky, Great West, CAA, SoCon, etc.

UND can be one of those home/home teams on a rotating basis, until they get into the MVFC.

I normally don't like posting on other schools boards, but you do realize that NDSU can't "get" UND into the MVFC by themselves? There are 8 other schools who have a vote and I can guarantee you a number of them are not going to want a second school that far north admitted. As for the Bison getting some good FCS schools into the dome, it can be done. Just give up the cupcakes and schedule some of your old Great West mates. Cal Poly and Davis are always looking for games. Even SUU would be a huge upgrade from Wagner.

I normally don't like posting on other schools boards, but you do realize that NDSU can't "get" UND into the MVFC by themselves? There are 8 other schools who have a vote and I can guarantee you a number of them are not going to want a second school that far north admitted. As for the Bison getting some good FCS schools into the dome, it can be done. Just give up the cupcakes and schedule some of your old Great West mates. Cal Poly and Davis are always looking for games. Even SUU would be a huge upgrade from Wagner.

They need Wagner.

With the Bison no longer a perceived "powerhouse", their scheduling will be much easier. No one wanted to go to the Fargodome and play a 10-1 team. There are benefits to being 1-7!!

Prior to Chapman leaving, many had perceived NDSU being in the MVFC as a barrier to UND membership. For both UND and USD to gain MVFC membership, some sort of unbalanced schedule would have to be set up. That scheduling change complicates admittance. If Youngstown St were to leave, the dynamics of UND getting in increases.

Travel to Grand Forks makes no difference when most of them charter already anyway. A charter to GF costs about the same as a charter to Youngstown State or Carbondale. Plus with GF, you can actually fly into the town itself. :ohmy:

With the Bison no longer a perceived "powerhouse", their scheduling will be much easier. No one wanted to go to the Fargodome and play a 10-1 team. There are benefits to being 1-7!!

Prior to Chapman leaving, many had perceived NDSU being in the MVFC as a barrier to UND membership. For both UND and USD to gain MVFC membership, some sort of unbalanced schedule would have to be set up. That scheduling change complicates admittance. If Youngstown St were to leave, the dynamics of UND getting in increases.

I can think of a number of schools who have no problem going anywhere and playing anyone if they can get a home and home contract. NDSU decided to go the Montana route when setting up non-conference schedules. That was the choice they made. Even if, and it is a big if YSU leave the MVFC I do not think UND will be listed as a top priority when adding a school. I may be wrong but I think the member schools outside of NDSU and SDSU will want to look closer to home. I do think UND will be in the Summit for BB, etc. once the nickname issue is resolved. Football is going to be more difficult unless there is a major shakeup in the MVFC or Big Sky with multiple schools dropping FB or moving up.

jacks you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're way off.

UND is easily the #1 choice right now if the MVFC had to add another team. They don't, but if they did it would be UND.

There just isn't anyone else, "closer to home" or not. Not with UND's flagship status, facilities, financial support, etc.

jacks you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're way off.

UND is easily the #1 choice right now if the MVFC had to add another team. They don't, but if they did it would be UND.

There just isn't anyone else, "closer to home" or not. Not with UND's flagship status, facilities, financial support, etc.

Umm....USD? Closer to the footprint, flagship school, finances, good relationship with MVC member already (UNI). Sorry, but I think USD would be choice number one.

Who owns their facilities? USD

Who has their games on regional television? Ok, you got me there

Your hockey budget skews everything when comparing the two schools, so it is not a fair comparison. But it still doesn't matter because the MVFC is not sponsoring hockey.

USD is also a much better fit location wise.

Personally, I think we'll both end up there eventually.

Your hockey budget skews everything when comparing the two schools, so it is not a fair comparison. But it still doesn't matter because the MVFC is not sponsoring hockey.

If only this argument took place in 2002...the irony.

The only reason USD and SDSU own their facilities is because both are located in cities that are too small to have the money to build them.

If either was in Sioux Falls, you can be sure that the facilities would have been built by the city.

Not that it's an advantage or disadvantage either way.