SiouxSports.com Forum

So ..., what's stopping a UND-NDSU game now?

star2city

It's clearly been in UND's interest to resume the series since we moved up to DI, but will recent events down in Fargo change their thinking?

They need to continue selling season tickets: it's their bread and butter for revenue and teammakers. A UND game would help renew season tickets that might otherwise drop their tickets, as UND-NDSU game tickets are not easily available in single-ticket form.

Chapman is gone: the legislature and SBoHE would almost certainly want the series resumed. The interim and new presidents wouldn't have the clout to prevent it.

Both teams need wins.

With both teams rebuilding, next two seasons aren't really that meaningful for either team.

The only ones fighting this will likely be Taylor a few diehard bison fans that are still deluded enough to think UND football is "beneath" them.

It's clearly been in UND's interest to resume the series since we moved up to DI, but will recent events down in Fargo change their thinking?

They need to continue selling season tickets: it's their bread and butter for revenue and teammakers. A UND game would help renew season tickets that might otherwise drop their tickets, as UND-NDSU game tickets are not easily available in single-ticket form.

Chapman is gone: the legislature and SBoHE would almost certainly want the series resumed. The interim and new presidents wouldn't have the clout to prevent it.

Both teams need wins.

With both teams rebuilding, next two seasons aren't really that meaningful for either team.

The only ones fighting this will likely be Taylor a few diehard bison fans that are still deluded enough to think UND football is "beneath" them.

I'd say Gene Taylor is still standing in the way. I'm sure he still feels the sting from the slap Roger gave him by ending the series. I'd say once Taylor is gone there will be some interest down south. The way both teams are playing this year, I don't think you could give tickets away right now for a match up. Furthermore, I think it's bad PR for us to try to get anything pushed through the Legislature. Makes us look whiny.

You're probably right...everyone who was involved in the NDSU vs UND issues back in 2003 at the admin levels needs to leave, before it can really be resumed the "correct" way (play the game every year).

Taylor will probably only agree to a game here, game there, when it "fits his scheduling strategy".

Kup and Thomas are gone. Chapman is gone.

Now just need Taylor to leave to close the loop. But I still say, Taylor or not, that UND will be in Fargo for at least a single game in 2012. I would carve that one in stone.

It's just a matter of if we can get to a point of having the game every year without UND being the same football conference.

Which by the way, UND and USD should both be members of the MVFC.

I'd say Gene Taylor is still standing in the way. I'm sure he still feels the sting from the slap Roger gave him by ending the series. I'd say once Taylor is gone there will be some interest down south. The way both teams are playing this year, I don't think you could give tickets away right now for a match up. Furthermore, I think it's bad PR for us to try to get anything pushed through the Legislature. Makes us look whiny.

Never meant to infer that a legislative session should involve themselves in this. My point was that the those state senators and reps that are sitting on the education committee want to see some sort of agreement on this: those are the same people who introduce education bills.

How much sense did it make for UND to pay Stony Brook around $100 k, and NDSU to pay Wagner about the same amount?

The series will probably resume next season. NDSU doesn't have any cards left to play and Taylor will literally have to risk his job if he fights renewing the rivalry. NDSU is on the !@#$ list at the legislature and won't have a leg to stand on after 13,000 empty seats appear at the Fargodome to watch the Bison lose out against Youngstown State.

The series will probably resume next season. NDSU doesn't have any cards left to play and Taylor will literally have to risk his job if he fights renewing the rivalry. NDSU is on the !@#$ list at the legislature and won't have a leg to stand on after 13,000 empty seats appear at the Fargodome to watch the Bison lose out against Youngstown State.

Until we start putting people in the seats for our games, we probably shouldn't comment on the AC. They had over 15,000 for a nothing game Sat and we will be lucky to get 8-9000 for a very good Cal Poly team this Sat. Taylor's job is secure and does not depend on the rivalry. We need to get a lot better before we worry too much about the rivalry. I wouldn't want the team that laid an egg against Sioux Falls to represent UND against the AC. I am not sure they would want to send their team against UND either. It has been embarrassing enough for both schools the way it is. If fans don't want to watch UND play Sioux Falls, why would you want to watch them play the AC? Sioux Falls is probably the better team.

Until we start putting people in the seats for our games, we probably shouldn't comment on the AC. They had over 15,000 for a nothing game Sat and we will be lucky to get 8-9000 for a very good Cal Poly team this Sat. Taylor's job is secure and does not depend on the rivalry. We need to get a lot better before we worry too much about the rivalry. I wouldn't want the team that laid an egg against Sioux Falls to represent UND against the AC. I am not sure they would want to send their team against UND either. It has been embarrassing enough for both schools the way it is. If fans don't want to watch UND play Sioux Falls, why would you want to watch them play the AC? Sioux Falls is probably the better team.

Taylors NOT the problem - his job is all about putting asses in seats - Chappy was the c*ckblocker on that whole deal...Gene is in a great position to schedule the next 2 games at the fargoBarn with a little payout but in recent history - playing in that hideous shed has been to UND's advantage so i say...GAME ON!!! All Gene needs is a green light from the "new" ndsu president.

(AND IN passing - FU Joe! You WERE an a-hole who HAD TO GO! - don't let the door hit you or your wife on the way out)

Taylors NOT the problem - his job is all about putting asses in seats - Chappy was the c*ckblocker on that whole deal...Gene is in a great position to schedule the next 2 games at the fargoBarn with a little payout but in recent history - playing in that hideous shed has been to UND's advantage so i say...GAME ON!!! All Gene needs is a green light from the "new" ndsu president.

(AND IN passing - FU Joe! You WERE an a-hole who HAD TO GO! - don't let the door hit you or your wife on the way out)

Their interim President was a heck of a FB player and I doubt he would be afraid to schedule us in FB or other sport for that matter. My guess is that he will gauge carefully their chances of winning the game and schedule it when he thinks they will likely win. I would not have wanted to play them 2 years ago.

Wrong on both counts.

Never meant to infer that a legislative session should involve themselves in this. My point was that the those state senators and reps that are sitting on the education committee want to see some sort of agreement on this: those are the same people who introduce education bills.

How much sense did it make for UND to pay Stony Brook around $100 k, and NDSU to pay Wagner about the same amount?

Great point.

Bringing in schools from New York is ridiculous when NDSU and UND were right there.

Petty childishness run amok.

Of course it will.

We only get 8 games a year from the MVFC, that leaves 3 to schedule every season.

Of course it's possible for NDSU to schedule UND every year, but it's not as easy as it seems. Of those three non-conference games, Taylor wants one to be an away FBS money game. So that only leaves two non-conference FCS games. I think he wants one to be a home guaranteed win against an FCS cupcake. If the other is against UND every year, that basically means NDSU has no room to ever schedule other quality non-conference home-and-homes with the likes of Montana, Montana State, UC-Davis, Cal Poly, etc. I suppose he could get rid of the cupcake game, but that's easier said than done. I also believe Taylor has talked about the importance of having 6 homes games as much as possible. Six homes games is not possible when NDSU plays at UND unless it is a rare year where 12 games is allowed by the NCAA

I think a home-and-home now and then will get scheduled, but I think an annual rotating game is not going to happen unless the schools end up in the same conference someday. I know Mussman doesn't want to play it unless it's an annual game, but he doesn't get to make the decision. I'm sure Faison will agree to a home-and-home.

I think until NDSU can get UND into the MVFC, we'll have to make do with home/home contracts.

I'd like to see NDSU schedule a game against a team from the Big Ten or Big XII every season and then schedule home/home games against good FCS teams for both the other games. I'm sick of seeing us play cupcakes.

It's time to get some good FCS competition from outside the MVFC in the dome. Bring on the Big Sky, Great West, CAA, SoCon, etc.

UND can be one of those home/home teams on a rotating basis, until they get into the MVFC.

Sure no one likes cupcakes, but in what I hope will be typical years for both UND and NDSU they will need a cupcake to get that extra win on the way to the 7 or 8 that are usually required for the playoffs. I think the only way this happens every year is if they both are in the same confrence, with NDSU having a home and home with Montana set up and a home game with Montana State, I don't see it starting untill 2015. I'd much rather see it before then, but I don't think its going to happen.

Won't happen, NDSU's schedule won't allow for that to be an every year game.

THis is not true, as has been stated there is plenty of room in the schedule of the MVC......example UNI: plays either Iowa or ISU every other year because of In-State rivalries....

THis is not true, as has been stated there is plenty of room in the schedule of the MVC......example UNI: plays either Iowa or ISU every other year because of In-State rivalries....

True, but Iowa and Iowa State don't need a money game like both UND and NDSU do. As a few posters have stated the MVC schedule allows for 3 NC games. 1 will always be a BCS game ($300-$500K in the bank) a second will be a "cupcake" FCS game, and the third will be either a home or away game against a good FCS team. Could that FCS team be UND? Yes, but I don't think it will happen every year.

I'd like to see if there are any rivalry games between FCS teams that happen every year, but they are NOT in the same confrence.