SiouxSports.com Forum

Board of Education Name Deadline Extended

johndahl

That's a more generous extension than it sounded like it could be a couple weeks ago.

Maybe the State Board isn't trying to slam the door too quickly after all.

I think if they slammed the door on democracy it would make them and the govenor look bad.

Why is it that almost every time the Forum runs a story on the Sioux name it includes a picture of the student section "appearing" to be doing a tomahawk chop. To my knowledge the tomahawk chop has never been done en masse by UND, although it has been by the virtuous Florida State.

sioux.jpg

Why is it that almost every time the Forum runs a story on the Sioux name it includes a picture of the student section "appearing" to be doing a tomahawk chop. To my knowledge the tomahawk chop has never been done en masse by UND, although it has been by the virtuous Florida State.

sioux.jpg

They can't find an updated picture of the Sieve Chant? The jerseys have an older logo....I am pretty sure there are countless newer pictures that they could use.

sioux.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but the sieve chant is not trying to immitate the Tomahawk chop. I think it is just a coincidence that they look similar.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the sieve chant is not trying to immitate the Tomahawk chop. I think it is just a coincidence that they look similar.

People commenting on the Sioux nickname on the Fargo Forum are confused on the pic. They think its the tomahawk chop nice job Forum picking that kind of a pic but i am glad someone pointed out its a sieve chop that every school and team does.

Which is my point. If you don't know hockey, you may think that they are doing "the chop". As someone mentioned there has to be some more current photos they could use, but they choose not to. I don't call this coincidence. I call it deliberate. Obviously this is an older photo, looking at the logo on the jerseys.

Faison was supposedly debating the subject on ESPN Outside the Lines today? Anyone see that or know anything about it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

I caught the last 10 minutes of the show. Some dumbass was saying how Indian nicknames are wrong and the other guy he squared off against was a Seminole Indian and he said its nice how non-natives say whats best for natives. I applaud that guy!!!

I caught the last 10 minutes of the show. Some dumbass was saying how Indian nicknames are wrong and the other guy he squared off against was a Seminole Indian and he said its nice how non-natives say whats best for natives. I applaud that guy!!!

Is there video of this somewhere?

Frank Sage said he and fellow American Indian students at UND are being ignored by the board.

"Why aren't they answering to the Native students and the incidents that are happening? The hate crimes? They are violating our civil rights," Sage said. "It's pretty upsetting to me."

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Frank Sage said he and fellow American Indian students at UND are being ignored by the board.

"Why aren't they answering to the Native students and the incidents that are happening? The hate crimes? They are violating our civil rights," Sage said. "It's pretty upsetting to me."

I want to see the police reports and if there was how come they aren't in the news?

I swear that guy has been at UND for something like 10 years. He's another John Hoff!

That's a more generous extension than it sounded like it could be a couple weeks ago.

Maybe the State Board isn't trying to slam the door too quickly after all.

Actually, the new tribal council doesn't take office until about October 14, so it is still about a two week extension.

Which is my point. If you don't know hockey, you may think that they are doing "the chop". As someone mentioned there has to be some more current photos they could use, but they choose not to. I don't call this coincidence. I call it deliberate. Obviously this is an older photo, looking at the logo on the jerseys.

I agree with you on this one. It's done to incite those who are already being "victimized" by the "hostile and abusive" logo that you see on the jerseys!