SiouxSports.com Forum

This just in, college students party

82SiouxGuy

We're also #5 in the Top Ten Schools Where Student Study Least

5. University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, N.D.)

"Size and affordability are very nice draws" at the University of North Dakota. The number of undergrads here is ideal, and UND offers "the best bang for the buck anywhere." Student activities at UND run the gamut. There are more than 200 clubs and organizations. The student recreation center is enormous and state of the art. Intramural sports are quite popular, and many students are "huge supporters of the Fighting Sioux," the intercollegiate athletic teams. Specifically, "hockey is king here." The team is formidable year in and year out, and it has won several national championships. Home games in the "breathtaking" arena are well attended and "extremely fun." Students describe the overall academic experience at UND as "pretty good" "and not too stressful." Students report the fraternities and sororities loom large in the social scheme of things. Beginning on Friday (or maybe Thursday), "everybody is on a quest to entertain themselves."

I'd hate to say this, but... while I was an Aviation student, I didn't study much at all (basically only studied in my ground school for Private Pilot and a Navigation class). On the other hand, when I switched to Education, I studied all the time.

I'm not saying that Aviation is a posh major, but I certainly had a lot of free time while in that college.

I think it varies by program. I have degrees in both engineering and business. Sunday evening through late Friday afternoon were serious time due to engineering classes. Rarely drank during the week, and often went home from hockey games on the weened to do lab reports and homework. We did some partying on the weekend. The business courses on the other hand, If I had just been a business major I could have partied six nights a week and been on the Dean's list.

I think it varies by program. I have degrees in both engineering and business. Sunday evening through late Friday afternoon were serious time due to engineering classes. Rarely drank during the week, and often went home from hockey games on the weened to do lab reports and homework. We did some partying on the weekend. The business courses on the other hand, If I had just been a business major I could have partied six nights a week and been on the Dean's list.

You just summed up very nicely why I bolted the Engineering school for the Business school after two years! :lol: Well that and the guy-girl ratio was better at Gamble Hall too. :lol:

http://www.startribune.com/local/51796397....DiaK7DUiacyKUUr

1. Penn State University, State College, Pa.

2. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.

3. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.

4. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.

5. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio

6. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va.

7. University of Texas, Austin, Texas

8. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.

9. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.

10. University of California-Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.

11. University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.

12. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

13. Union College, Schenectady, N.Y.

14. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.

15. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.

16. University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.

17. Sewanee: The University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn.

18. University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, N.D.

19. Tulane University, New Orleans, La.

20. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.

We beat Arizona State but lost to ... Union?

And before folks rip too hard, some more details ...

"It's a badge of honor at this point. Nationwide, kids want to pump their schools in these (party) surveys," Mountz said. "It's not connected to reality."

And, more importantly,

Guide author Robert Franek said every school in the survey offered "great academics."

Not too bad to be included with some of those schools in that regard.

I'd hate to say this, but... while I was an Aviation student, I didn't study much at all (basically only studied in my ground school for Private Pilot and a Navigation class). On the other hand, when I switched to Education, I studied all the time.

I'm not saying that Aviation is a posh major, but I certainly had a lot of free time while in that college.

I studied Sociology and Criminal Justice and I didn't study a lot I admit, but the Military gave me great time management skills.

Even in Graduate School we didn't study all that much. I wrote most of my actual thesis after I was done with the class work.

I can remember every special there was at the liquor stores and bars.

Back in the 1960s, especially during a time when Flickertail Follies, a campus-wide variety show, occupied a considerable degree of interest, UND, I believe, was named by Esquire magazine as one of the Top Ten party schools in the nation. It was said by some at the time that many students spent a good deal of time in that second semester preparing for the show. It even drew the attention of Life magazine at one time, perhaps quite understandable in that Edward K. Thompson, the then managing editor of Life magazine, is a UND graduate, Class of 1927, I believe. Getting back to today, whether one likes it or not (on making the list of top party schools), we are in some pretty good company, being listed with these schools academic-wise. I say take it all with a grain of salt. For me, I am every grateful I attended a university that has helped put me where I am today. I had wonderful professors in my major, professors that helped immensely as I went on to graduate school at one of the best graduate schools of journalism in the country. I intend this as no discredit whatsoever to the graduate school I attended, but UND measured up very well by comparison. I was fortunate to attend two of the very best in the country.

Back in the 1960s, especially during a time when Flickertail Follies, a campus-wide variety show, occupied a considerable degree of interest, UND, I believe, was named by Esquire magazine as one of the Top Ten party schools in the nation. It was said by some at the time that many students spent a good deal of time in that second semester preparing for the show. It even drew the attention of Life magazine at one time, perhaps quite understandable in that Edward K. Thompson, the then managing editor of Life magazine, is a UND graduate, Class of 1927, I believe. Getting back to today, whether one likes it or not (on making the list of top party schools), we are in some pretty good company, being listed with these schools academic-wise. I say take it all with a grain of salt. For me, I am every grateful I attended a university that has helped put me where I am today. I had wonderful professors in my major, professors that helped immensely as I went on to graduate school at one of the best graduate schools of journalism in the country. I intend this as no discredit whatsoever to the graduate school I attended, but UND measured up very well by comparison. I was fortunate to attend two of the very best in the country.

I am also happy that I attended UND as well.

Are you sure?

Yup. Here are the course offerings.

UND: Lawn-mower tossing, then on to an NHL career.

NDSU: Lawn-mowing driving ... so their grads have a post-graduation career.

C'mon, it was so-o-o-o-o easy I had to go with it. :)