SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

Huh ? Please explain.

Last year UNO averaged around 6200 fans/game at home. Not bad but they could have had significantly more, the Quest Center capacity is 16,680.

Why would the WCHA want to move the premier event to Omaha ?

The XCEL capacity is 18,064. The Final Five is close to a sellout every year there.

Why would they risk moving it to a smaller venue that has not shown they would be able to support it ?

It is also a further drive for fans of almost every team.

Additionally, UNO has not shown they can be a top club, so what is the likelyhood they would even make the final 5(6) ?

If they don't make it do you really believe they could sell out the arena ? That's what would need to happen for the WCHA to even consider it.

What are the advantages to the league in holding it in Omaha. I don't see any, only a loss of revenue.

Heck, The Ralph would be a better site than Omaha based on these statements.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Final Five should ever be held in a teams' home rink. A home city is fine but not a home rink. The X and the Bradley Center are perfect for a rotation IMO.
Wow - thanks for that pearl of wisdom there, skippy - if you come up with any more, feel free to keep them to yourself.

As much as I despise all things Minnesota (even those outside of hockey), Xcel is the only place for the Final Five (or whatever it is in the future). It's a great central location (as good as it gets), in a strong hockey fan base, in a very populated region, in a facility that is first-class with plenty of seats.

There's no need to change. Not even to Milwaukee. The Pepsi Center would be another comparable alternative to Milwaukee, but that as well would fall well short of what they do in St. Paul. When you have so many teams in/near Minnesota, having the tourney in Minnesota is the only logical money-making location.

if that happens, i think a lot of folks who repeatedly berated mplsbison for suggesting such a thing owe him an apology.

at the same time, if omaha gets in, which as i said is still likely, then everybody is free to continue such berating.

Or not! :)

He has a very valid point and your personal attack is out of line and completely uncalled for.
He does not have a valid point - he is disingenuous because as a UMN fan he can say that and support what are de facto home games for his team at the Xcel Energy Center - his team, their fans, band, and cheer team do not have to pay for or put any effort into any travel - they even have the UMN rink announcer there for that tourney, for Pete's sake (wouldn't want the golden ones to feel too out of place now, would we?). He also would not admit as much because he lacks integrity. He is nothing but an UND hating troll on this site. I wouldn't expect you to pick up on any of this as it has already been repeatedly established that you know nothing about WCHA hockey.

I don't like the addition of BSU and UNO (but particularly BSU) for several reasons but in particular, as it already stands, we don't get to play every team in the league 4 times. So now what with 12 teams? That means 4 regular season games between member institutions and visits from interesting rivals will be fewer and further between. The DU/UND rivalry, as we all know, is very strong. I look forward to UND coming out here to Denver as I do when they visit CC. Ask anybody-the games with DU are very heated and intense; the games with CC are very fast, exciting, and you never know who's going to win until the very end.

I just don't see what value Bemidji brings. I can see a case for UNO but that's about it.

On the issue of Final Five venues. The right thing to do would be to rotate it around but unfortunately, we live in a world dominated by dollars so I am realistic enough to understand that this tourney will likely always be in St. Paul. It would be nice if the league could experiment and try it every couple years at an alternate site. Of course I have selfish reasons for having it in Denver at the Pepsi Center but to rule it out because they don't THINK it could draw enough people isn't fair until they've actually tried it.

I don't like the addition of BSU and UNO (but particularly BSU) for several reasons but in particular, as it already stands, we don't get to play every team in the league 4 times. So now what with 12 teams? That means 4 regular season games between member institutions and visits from interesting rivals will be fewer and further between. The DU/UND rivalry, as we all know, is very strong. I look forward to UND coming out here to Denver as I do when they visit CC. Ask anybody-the games with DU are very heated and intense; the games with CC are very fast, exciting, and you never know who's going to win until the very end.

I just don't see what value Bemidji brings. I can see a case for UNO but that's about it.

The net result of it will be that rivals will be travelling to your rink 3 out of every 5 years, instead of 3 out of 4. But it's what needed to be done to prevent further contraction of college hockey.

On the issue of Final Five venues. The right thing to do would be to rotate it around but unfortunately, we live in a world dominated by dollars so I am realistic enough to understand that this tourney will likely always be in St. Paul. It would be nice if the league could experiment and try it every couple years at an alternate site. Of course I have selfish reasons for having it in Denver at the Pepsi Center but to rule it out because they don't THINK it could draw enough people isn't fair until they've actually tried it.

it will also mean less visits from the bottom feeders like tech and uaa. the bigger point here is that a program was saved. because if bsu and uah were allowed to cut their programs the number of teams allowed in the ncaa tourney almost for surely would drop from 16 back to say 12. this move is great for college hockey. I've never been to a und/du game in denver nor a game at cc, but I have been to several und/bsu games in bemidji and those were some of the funnest games I've ever been to.

it will also mean less visits from the bottom feeders like tech and uaa. the bigger point here is that a program was saved. because if bsu and uah were allowed to cut their programs the number of teams allowed in the ncaa tourney almost for surely would drop from 16 back to say 12. this move is great for college hockey. I've never been to a und/du game in denver nor a game at cc, but I have been to several und/bsu games in bemidji and those were some of the funnest games I've ever been to.

Your point about saving two programs is very valid and one I hadn't considered.

He does not have a valid point - he is disingenuous because as a UMN fan he can say that and support what are de facto home games for his team at the Xcel Energy Center - his team, their fans, band, and cheer team do not have to pay for or put any effort into any travel - they even have the UMN rink announcer there for that tourney, for Pete's sake (wouldn't want the golden ones to feel too out of place now, would we?). He also would not admit as much because he lacks integrity. He is nothing but an UND hating troll on this site. I wouldn't expect you to pick up on any of this as it has already been repeatedly established that you know nothing about WCHA hockey.

During the final five the top two seaded teams stay at the St.Paul hotel and the other teams stay at another hotel ( used to be the Raddison hotel but not sure what it is called now) so, if Minnesota stays at one of these hotels who pays for the hotel since you say they don't have to pay for any travel? Also, you do realize UND's announcer is one of the announcers during the final five.

During the final five the top two seaded teams stay at the St.Paul hotel and the other teams stay at another hotel ( used to be the Raddison hotel but not sure what it is called now) so, if Minnesota stays at one of these hotels who pays for the hotel since you say they don't have to pay for any travel? Also, you do realize UND's announcer is one of the announcers during the final five.
If that is the case, then the league must pay all teams hotel (and probably travel too) out of the tourney proceeds, which makes some sense. That does nothing for the fans, bands, or cheer teams, however, and the travel to St. Paul still involves considerably more effort from all the other teams. The john is what, two miles from St. Paul city limits? Give me a break. I have also heard Donnie hairpile say that the golden ones always stay in a hotel for the tourney. Makes it easy to continue in the pretense that it is not a de facto home game for his team if he doesn't have to draw funds from his department in order to do it. Scott Hennen (former Sioux rink announcer), has been the secondary announcer at least a couple of times. The john rink announcer has generally been the primary one for the tourney and he hasn't earned it based on merit - he is horribly monotone and just plain excrutiating to have to listen to - he isn't fit to speak into Hennen's microphone. I admit that having the tourney at the Excel favors the entire league membership, it just favors UMN above all others. I don't expect every UMN fan to admit to this, but I think it reasonable to have 90-95% admit to it - instead it is closer to 5-10%. Just another manifestation of the rampant sense of unearned entitlement nearly all UMN fans seem to have - and is the real reason they are almost universally held in disdain. Nice try skippy, but it don't wash.

If that is the case, then the league must pay all teams hotel (and probably travel too) out of the tourney proceeds, which makes some sense. That does nothing for the fans, bands, or cheer teams, however, and the travel to St. Paul still involves considerably more effort from all the other teams. The john is what, two miles from St. Paul city limits? Give me a break. I have also heard Donnie hairpile say that the golden ones always stay in a hotel for the tourney. Makes it easy to continue in the pretense that it is not a de facto home game for his team if he doesn't have to draw funds from his department in order to do it. Scott Hennen (former Sioux rink announcer), has been the secondary announcer at least a couple of times. The john rink announcer has generally been the primary one for the tourney and he hasn't earned it based on merit - he is horribly monotone and just plain excrutiating to have to listen to - he isn't fit to speak into Hennen's microphone. I admit that having the tourney at the Excel favors the entire league membership, it just favors UMN above all others. I don't expect every UMN fan to admit to this, but I think it reasonable to have 90-95% admit to it - instead it is closer to 5-10%. Just another manifestation of the rampant sense of unearned entitlement nearly all UMN fans seem to have - and is the real reason they are almost universally held in disdain. Nice try skippy, but it don't wash.

Relax Damstrait (notice I called you by your name, I did not resort to name calling, as in skippy) I'm just responding to your statement that UMN does not have to pay for travel. By your statement it seems that you implied that UMN was the only team that does not pay for travel. As for the announcer, you are entitled to your opinion but I'm not a big fan how Hennen draws out the players last name, again this is my opinion. I agree Minnesota does have an advantage when it comes to travel with fans and cheer teams but if the tourney was held in Milwaukee, Denver, or Omaha would you complain that Wisc, DU and Omaha would have a unfair advantage like you say Minnesota has because it is held in St. Paul?

Relax Damstrait (notice I called you by your name, I did not resort to name calling, as in skippy) I'm just responding to your statement that UMN does not have to pay for travel. By your statement it seems that you implied that UMN was the only team that does not pay for travel. As for the announcer, you are entitled to your opinion but I'm not a big fan how Hennen draws out the players last name, again this is my opinion. I agree Minnesota does have an advantage when it comes to travel with fans and cheer teams but if the tourney was held in Milwaukee, Denver, or Omaha would you complain that Wisc, DU and Omaha would have a unfair advantage like you say Minnesota has because it is held in St. Paul?

Milwaukee- No. UW is from Madison. Milwaukee may be in Wisconsin but that's about it.

Denver - This city does more to favor your side of the argument.

Omaha - The answer to this would be easy if you could put the Final Five during the Husker football season. It would then be neutral territory as all of Omaha would be in Lincoln. :)

The announcer argument is personal preference. I could list for you the announcers I've heard that are absolutely awful but it also would stand to reason that someone familiar with the teams they announce for would like him. Personal preference.

My opinion is simply this: The Final Five should rotate between the XCel, Milwaukee, and CHICAGO. XCel still favors UMN, but it's too nice of a venue to pass up. Milwaukee and Chi-town are neutral sites, even if they are somewhat out of the way.

No worries - I assure you, I am quite relaxed. Yes, if it were always held in Milwaukee, Denver, or Omaha I would say that UW, DU, or UNO, respectively, would have an unfair advantage. There is a lot of discussion about a secondary site for the tourney - where outside the twin cities do you think it would have the highest attendance? Could it just possibly be the site that holds the NCAA regional attendance record?

No worries - I assure you, I am quite relaxed. Yes, if it were always held in Milwaukee, Denver, or Omaha I would say that UW, DU, or UNO, respectively, would have an unfair advantage. There is a lot of discussion about a secondary site for the tourney - where outside the twin cities do you think it would have the highest attendance? Could it just possibly be the site that holds the NCAA regional attendance record?

I don't know which site you refer to, but if it is in fact the REA, then no.

It would simply be just another version of the argument against the XCel.

My opinion is simply this: The Final Five should rotate between the XCel, Milwaukee, and CHICAGO. XCel still favors UMN, but it's too nice of a venue to pass up. Milwaukee and Chi-town are neutral sites, even if they are somewhat out of the way.

The Final Five in Milwaukee or Chicago would go over like a fart in church.

The Final Five in Milwaukee or Chicago would go over like a fart in church.

it doesnt sell out like it does or have half of attention if it goes away from st paul. it needs to be there for many reasons and i hope it stays there for a long time!

if that happens, i think a lot of folks who repeatedly berated mplsbison for suggesting such a thing owe him an apology.

at the same time, if omaha gets in, which as i said is still likely, then everybody is free to continue such berating.

Or not! :)

straight from the script of anchorman, i have to say, "that doesn't make any sense".

look closely at the two lines you quoted. they say opposite things and you only replied with "or not!". which part are you or notting?

anyway, uno and bsu are in and i think it's a grand thing.

straight from the script of anchorman, i have to say, "that doesn't make any sense".

look closely at the two lines you quoted. they say opposite things and you only replied with "or not!". which part are you or notting?

anyway, uno and bsu are in and i think it's a grand thing.

I was replying to your post.

i think a lot of folks who repeatedly berated mplsbison for suggesting such a thing owe him an apology.

Or not! Meaning, an apology is not forthcoming. I don't think anyone has been disrespectful, I think he has just been

stiring the pot and people called him on it.

I was replying to your post.

Or not! Meaning, an apology is not forthcoming. I don't think anyone has been disrespectful, I think he has just been

stiring the pot and people called him on it.

maybe you're right. it doesn't matter anymore though. uno and bsu are in and that's good for the future of all of college hockey.

now we need to figure out a way to trick the ccha into trading us osu for uaa.

maybe you're right. it doesn't matter anymore though. uno and bsu are in and that's good for the future of all of college hockey.

now we need to figure out a way to trick the ccha into trading us osu for uaa.

I would be all for that one. Of course we would lose them to the BTHC IF that ever happens.

I don't know.

It seems like if UAA were to try to go to the CCHA, the best replacement geographically (well, not really, but still) would end up being another cellar dwellar: NMU.

PErsonally, keep UAA.

Then put a WCHA taskforce together to figure out how in the WORLD UAF is outrecruiting UAA.

I would be all for that one. Of course we would lose them to the BTHC IF that ever happens.

man that's a big "if".

i agree, it will never happen. however, i don't think the bthc will ever happen either unless the big ten is willing to accept other universities into the conference who don't compete in the big ten in other sports. i mean how many b10 schools are there in all of college hockey? 5?