SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

If you think HD is to SD what jet black is to albino, then I think you need to have your vision checked. The difference between HD and SD is more like the difference between white and off white. HD fans may not want to admit it, but I see all of the same blades of grass on my TV that they see on theirs. Only difference is I'm not overpaying for mine. But again, each to their own. If it makes you happy, spend your money on whatever you want to spend it on. Just don't try to tell me what I'm seeing or not seeing.

I think they are telling you that they are not seeing what you are seeing on SD. The comparison using black and white was obviously an exaggeration to make a point. But many people see the difference closer to yellow and white. We know that you don't see it that way. You have made that point many, many times. But do you have to bring it up every time anyone mentions that they think HD is superior?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I listened to the game on my way out to our hunting shack and I didn't watch game 3 live and the Pens won.

Hum, maybe the pens will ask me to stop watching them play hockey.

Some people get annoyed when they hear about how great Brett Favre is, I get annoyed when I hear about how great HD is. Fair enough?

That is an interesting topic to get so invested in that you feel a need to argue about it over and over.

I love me some old-school hair metal, but it won't get me to go over to the dark side. No, I'd just rant and rave over the fact that it wasn't available on DVD. I have way too much invested in DVD to switch over to BluRay. If it was actually an improvement, like 8-track tapes to CDs, I'd be all over it. But one of my biggest pet peeves is change for the sake of change. No need to fix what isn't broken. The BluRay format must be avoided like the plague.

I think most Blu-Ray players play standard DVD's. I never was on the market for one since my PS3 has one built in, but it also plays CD's, DVD's, and other data discs for photos or whatnot, which I believe is the norm. Your DVD collection would not be lost.

I actually find Blu-Rays to be even better quality than HD cable, not to mention the audio aspects of both Blu-Ray and HD cable/satellite blow the snot out of regular DVD's or TV which have compressed audio and limited surround.

I love me some old-school hair metal, but it won't get me to go over to the dark side. No, I'd just rant and rave over the fact that it wasn't available on DVD. I have way too much invested in DVD to switch over to BluRay. If it was actually an improvement, like 8-track tapes to CDs, I'd be all over it. But one of my biggest pet peeves is change for the sake of change. No need to fix what isn't broken. The BluRay format must be avoided like the plague.

Since a filmmaker I know says the exact opposite I think I will trust his opinion. He says that BluRay done well is the closest thing that he has seen to 35mm film, which is high praise coming from him.

Tell you, I'll stop commenting on HD as soon as the Favre haters stop commenting on Favre.

How the Hell did we get to Brett Favre?

Seriously! Does that buffoon have to invade every thread? Pretty soon, ESPN will cut to SS.com with its latest on Favre-watch 2009.

How the Hell did we get to Brett Favre?

Seriously! Does that buffoon have to invade every thread? Pretty soon, ESPN will cut to SS.com with its latest on Favre-watch 2009.

Dave brought him into the discussion about 10 posts ago to make some kind of point.

It takes two to argue. If nobody ever insulted any of my opinions I'd have nobody to argue with. Being that I don't have the power to force anybody to argue with me, there must be some people here other than myself who like to argue. Just a little something to think about.

Thanks for proving my point. You like to argue instead of debate. Enjoy SD television, stop supporting UND if they change the name, brag about how great Bret Favre is, complain about fighting in hockey and do all of the things that you enjoy.

Back on topic, I like the Penguins chances. But I also think that the media is making too much out of the fact that they won the last two games, just as they made way too much out of Detroit winning the first two. I have a feeling that somebody is going to win a game on the road before this thing is over. I'm optimistic, but not overconfident.

I now think the home team will win every game. But your right, the media circus is crazy. But boy, the wings better turn it around in a hurry, because if they don't win at home in game 5, I think the pens take it in game 6 at home.

I know it has happened in the World Series, but I wonder if there has ever been a Stanley Cup finals that went the distance with all 7 games being won by the home team. Does anybody know?

The answer? 2003. Every home team won the best of 7 series with NJ winning Game 7.

Here's the breakdown.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I now think the home team will win every game. But your right, the media circus is crazy. But boy, the wings better turn it around in a hurry, because if they don't win at home in game 5, I think the pens take it in game 6 at home.

Uh, you're surprised by the media circus?

I'm not.

Watch the NHL commercials between the time Crosby was drafted and today. How many times is a Red Wing player featured? Especially the past two years. Datsyuk? A few times he shows up. Zetterberg? Probably the most of any of the Wings. Malkin? A-yup. Crosby? I can't remember the last NHL commercial where he doesn't appear.

When so much of the NHL PR machine is based in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh is playing for the prize against a team that has been fairly dominant the past 10-15 years.... DUH media circus.

You know what might be a good analogy PR wise (play wise maybe too)?

Crosby is to the NHL as Kobe Bryant is to the NBA. Yeah. Kobe Jesus and Crosby Christ.

Uh, you're surprised by the media circus?

I'm not.

Watch the NHL commercials between the time Crosby was drafted and today. How many times is a Red Wing player featured? Especially the past two years. Datsyuk? A few times he shows up. Zetterberg? Probably the most of any of the Wings. Malkin? A-yup. Crosby? I can't remember the last NHL commercial where he doesn't appear.

When so much of the NHL PR machine is based in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh is playing for the prize against a team that has been fairly dominant the past 10-15 years.... DUH media circus.

You know what might be a good analogy PR wise (play wise maybe too)?

Crosby is to the NHL as Kobe Bryant is to the NBA. Yeah. Kobe Jesus and Crosby Christ.

I think LeBron gets more talk and hype than even Kobe. Kobe is for sure second, but I see and hear more about LeBron than anyone else from the NBA.

Jim Dahl and all the Caps fans must be rolling in the aisles right now because Detroit is just as overconfident as the Caps were after Game 2 and now... well... we'll see.

Ok, NOW I'm rolling in the aisles. The Caps had an off game right when they should have been putting the series away, but wow. Ouch. For the Pens fans -- at least it's not game 7, Pittsburgh will get a chance at redemption. Still just 2 wins away from the Cup.

A few random thoughts:

1. Coming into this series, when I thought of the one player who would be the achilles heel for the Penguins, what did I say? I'll give you a hint. He wears #29. This was Game 1 all over again. Except, the only goals that were going in were the ones like Abdelkader was scoring on.

2. Cleary's goal. if you listen to the replay, in the final 2 seconds of the replay, you can almost hear me yelling "TUUURCOOOOOOO'DDDDD" from my living room! Seriously, not sure which goal was weaker. This one or Abdelkader's.

3. Did anyone listen to the commentators after the Cleary goal? They immediately started giving excuses for Fleury. They said "It was a knuckleball. It must have dipped at the last moment." If Osgood gave up the same goal, I wonder if they'd be so nice? I don't know. I hope I don't find out. Apparently Malkin's elbowing, Talbot's slashing, and Kunitz's running the goaltender isn't a problem, but Holmstrom in front of the net before the Rafalski goal is "a problem." Then again, Eddie Olcyk was explaining how this series isn't getting so many penalties because of the skill.

4. I guarantee you that Detroit will spend more time on the penalty kill in Pittsburgh.

5. Pittsburgh takes Game 6. Maybe in blowout fashion.

Using the term goon a little loosely there, aren't you? Not that he's a finesse player, but he isn't exactly a Derek Boogard. He actually contributes something to the team other than thuggery.

Yawn, he isn't exactly a clean player either, he has had a few minutes of thuggery during the stanley cup playoffs.