SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it sounds terrible to say, but it kind of seems that way doesn't it?

I didn't read it that way at all.

"I'm definitely leaning that way (on returning)," he said.

Sure, the Oilers told him that he should come back, but who's to say that he wouldn't have wanted to come back regardless of what the Oilers told him?

It's a big decision for a young man, and he is taking into account what he, his parents, the Oilers, the UND coaching staff, and his advisor have to say on the matter.

I hope that if he comes back he's not bitter about coming back.

I can see how a player might be taken back by a team telling him to say, but it definately isn't an insult. I think when teams tell players, "it won't hurt you to go back", it only means that they have a lot of depth at their respective position in their system. I'm no Oiler expert, but it seems that they feel he will have intense competition when he does turn pro, so another year of seasoning at the collegiate level could only help him next year. I think the whole thing is more of a compliment to UND in that their organization feels he has progressed during his time here and they feel comfortable letting him continue his growth under Hak and the rest of the staff. Is it October yet?

I can see how a player might be taken back by a team telling him to say, but it definately isn't an insult. I think when teams tell players, "it won't hurt you to go back", it only means that they have a lot of depth at their respective position in their system. I'm no Oiler expert, but it seems that they feel he will have intense competition when he does turn pro, so another year of seasoning at the collegiate level could only help him next year. I think the whole thing is more of a compliment to UND in that their organization feels he has progressed during his time here and they feel comfortable letting him continue his growth under Hak and the rest of the staff. Is it October yet?

Or maybe the fact that Springfield was awful last year and they don't want him to develop there. Debate how much you want but either Vandevelde or Nash is the top center prospect that the Oilers have IMO.

Or maybe the fact that Springfield was awful last year and they don't want him to develop there. Debate how much you want but either Vandevelde or Nash is the top center prospect that the Oilers have IMO.

nash is their top center prospect, but they need big physical centerman, so i think they have a need for both. i can actually see both of them being productive at the pro level, great to hear we will get vandy for another season!

nash is their top center prospect, but they need big physical centerman, so i think they have a need for both. i can actually see both of them being productive at the pro level, great to hear we will get vandy for another season!

I was just more getting at that he'll develop better here under our coaches guidance and being a first line center and a captain then he would if he were to play in Springfield.

EDIT: And there's no coach in Edmonton at the moment so who knows where that team is headed.

Having VV back is a win win. I agree that he has potential at the NHL level, but he isn't there yet. Having a horse like Chris in the stable bodes well for UND. If he is healthy and plays up to his ability, he could be a very dominant player next year. He can develop those little parts of his game that he will need to skate a regular shift in the show, and it is huge for us.

Having VV back is a win win. I agree that he has potential at the NHL level, but he isn't there yet. Having a horse like Chris in the stable bodes well for UND. If he is healthy and plays up to his ability, he could be a very dominant player next year. He can develop those little parts of his game that he will need to skate a regular shift in the show, and it is huge for us.

Yeah, but it is risky.

If VV has another great year, Edmonton might be forced into a corner or face a situation like Porter did with Chicago (though admittedly Chicago missing out on Porter is infinitely easier to swallow than it would be for Edmonton to lose out on VV).

Yeah, but it is risky.

If VV has another great year, Edmonton might be forced into a corner or face a situation like Porter did with Chicago (though admittedly Chicago missing out on Porter is infinitely easier to swallow than it would be for Edmonton to lose out on VV).

Why do you say that? I see Porter and VV as similar players. Obviously if Edmonton was head over heels for VV they would have signed him. Porter was a good college player and so is VV but i do not see either of them making the NHL on a regular basis.

Why do you say that? I see Porter and VV as similar players. Obviously if Edmonton was head over heels for VV they would have signed him. Porter was a good college player and so is VV but i do not see either of them making the NHL on a regular basis.

VV is a center. He has a better size than Porter and is stronger on the puck. He also is very good on the draw.

I could see him as an NHL 3rd or 4th liner.... or heck, first liner. After all, if Wes Walz can be on the first line of the Wild a year or two, why can't VV?

VV is a center. He has a better size than Porter and is stronger on the puck. He also is very good on the draw.

I could see him as an NHL 3rd or 4th liner.... or heck, first liner. After all, if Wes Walz can be on the first line of the Wild a year or two, why can't VV?

I understand VV is a center but he is not bigger than Porter. They are about the same size with Porter probably having an extra 5 to 10 pounds. The reason Walz was on that line is because he can skate! Walz is a great skater VV is not, there lies your difference.

I am not sure why we are comparing they are even the same type of players. Just wondering.

I don't know, I thought VV skated around UNH dmen pretty nicely for his two goals in the UNH NCAA game. :D

So he is Wes Walz on skates?? I guess not or Edmonton would want him. Too slow on his skates for the NHL. AHL yeah fine. VV knows he needs to improve his foot speed.

I am not sure why we are comparing they are even the same type of players. Just wondering.

Are they not both power forwards?? Yeah VV is a center and Porter a winger but I think they are quite similar. They are a similiar size with similar skill sets. Porter is having a hard time making the NHL and so will VV.

Are they not both power forwards?? Yeah VV is a center and Porter a winger but I think they are quite similar. They are a similiar size with similar skill sets. Porter is having a hard time making the NHL and so will VV.

I'm not sure we should be going around assuming that VV will have a hard time making the NHL just yet. He might, but you really never know. Not many players make the immediate jump to the NHL, he will spend some time in the AHL, and anyone who thinks otherwise might be a bit naive.

(I'm probably going to get slammed for that bout of positivity, aren't I? :D )

I'm not sure we should be going around assuming that VV will have a hard time making the NHL just yet. He might, but you really never know. Not many players make the immediate jump to the NHL, he will spend some time in the AHL, and anyone who thinks otherwise might be a bit naive.

(I'm probably going to get slammed for that bout of positivity, aren't I? :D )

Probably.

As for Walz... yeah, he can skate, but he did nothing else on the first line. VV isn't as good a skater as Walz, but he can do something more than Walz ever did: provide some sort of offensive presence.

In any case, I don't think VV will tear any league up. However, I don't think he's a career minor leaguer either.

every fourth line i hope I'm not a scratch tonight NHLer scored goals in college or junior. The difference is that they had the strength, positional play, skating ability, faceoff ability, etc to set them apart from the masses of scorers at an NHL camp. I've said it before, but guys find out quickly who the Ovies are. There are what, maybe 5 guys per NHL team who score goals with regularity. Thats 150 jobs. There are 4000 excellent goal scorers world wide looking for those jobs. If you don't have all the little fundamentals and some other intangible, you are in trouble.

As for Edmonton, I'm sure they'd like to see if VV can develop into a sound physical center with soft enough hands to score 20 goals, but he is not a high draft pick. Therefore he isn't a huge investment. Those picks after the first 2-3 rounds are more like lottery tickets... If you win, awesome, if not, its only a buck or two. Especially if a CHL or NCAA team is footing the bill.

I don't know........if Lee Goren couldn't/hasn't made it, I would think that VV and Porter would have a tough time.

different players overall and the nhl is different now as well. porter was last late draft pick who never signed with chicago and vv will sign the minute he ends next season. will he make it as a nhl regular? who knows but he will get a shot after a year or 2 in the AHL like pretty much every other young player not drafted top 15 and ready to make a impact right away in the nhl. porter will be a up and down player for now but he was one of their last cuts last training camp so thats good for him and he has had a solid ahl season. all it takes is the one chance.

different players overall and the nhl is different now as well. porter was last late draft pick who never signed with chicago and vv will sign the minute he ends next season. will he make it as a nhl regular? who knows but he will get a shot after a year or 2 in the AHL like pretty much every other young player not drafted top 15 and ready to make a impact right away in the nhl. porter will be a up and down player for now but he was one of their last cuts last training camp so thats good for him and he has had a solid ahl season. all it takes is the one chance.

Good point. Look at Bayda and how long he kept at it until the NHL called. VV will make it but just not the first year he signs unless he lights it up. I ran into one of boys at a camp this weekend and I asked if VV was coming back for sure and he said yes....huge piece right there.

Sometimes even the top 15 is a crapshoot - ask the Wild about Pouliot ???