SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Pointer deserved criticism. He was definitely not one of the best players on the ice for us. Is he developing? Yeah, maybe I'll give him some credit for that. Did he put up big numbers in the USHL? sure. Do I dislike the kid? no. Do I wish him a 100% recovery? yes.

This isn't some recreational hockey league, church league, beer league, bar league, federal league, this is Fighting Sioux hockey.

It is not his style or his stats that I question. I question his positioning, physical strength and skating ability. Sorry. Marto and Genoway can flat out skate, Pointer is sub par on his skates, Blood skates very poorly by WCHA standards.

It is not about throwing players under the bus or not being a fan, it is about honest assessments of ability. Do I get excited when Pointer is out on the ice? Short answer is no. Am I concerned when Pointer is out there? Short answer is yes.

I do not hate on the kid, I want him to succeed in hockey, life, whatever, but he is not in the upper half of WCHA defensemen.

I agree with this 100%. I see the very same things...and it makes me wonder what I am missing since the coaching staff continues to play him in key situations.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointer deserved criticism. He was definitely not one of the best players on the ice for us. Is he developing? Yeah, maybe I'll give him some credit for that. Did he put up big numbers in the USHL? sure. Do I dislike the kid? no. Do I wish him a 100% recovery? yes.

This isn't some recreational hockey league, church league, beer league, bar league, federal league, this is Fighting Sioux hockey.

It is not his style or his stats that I question. I question his positioning, physical strength and skating ability. Sorry. Marto and Genoway can flat out skate, Pointer is sub par on his skates, Blood skates very poorly by WCHA standards.

It is not about throwing players under the bus or not being a fan, it is about honest assessments of ability. Do I get excited when Pointer is out on the ice? Short answer is no. Am I concerned when Pointer is out there? Short answer is yes.

I do not hate on the kid, I want him to succeed in hockey, life, whatever, but he is not in the upper half of WCHA defensemen.

He deserves criticism from his coaches and girlfriend, only. Which one are you? Otherwise, please see the golden rule above.

Well, now I'm a little upset with the coaches. Either they've misled us with their assessment of LaPoint or else they're not very good judges of hockey talent. Not only that, but I've talked with a former Sioux coach who was also singing the praises of LaPoint. We need to get some coaches in here that can evaluate defensemen. Our coaches need to realize that this isn't a recreational league we're playing in.

We should all be thankful that we have some very knowledgeable message board posters who can keep us informed on player talent. Many of us (including current and former Sioux coaches) don't have a keen eye for defensive talent. So it's really nice to be able to quickly go to the Early Departures thread and find out who's good and who isn't. Now, if we could get the coaches to regularly check the board so they'd know who should be playing defense on the PK, PP & five on five. :D

Well, now I'm a little upset with the coaches. Either they've misled us with their assessment of LaPoint or else they're not very good judges of hockey talent. Not only that, but I've talked with a former Sioux coach who was also singing the praises of LaPoint. We need to get some coaches in here that can evaluate defensemen. Our coaches need to realize that this isn't a recreational league we're playing in.

We should all be thankful that we have some very knowledgeable message board posters who can keep us informed on player talent. Many of us (including current and former Sioux coaches) don't have a keen eye for defensive talent. So it's really nice to be able to quickly go to the Early Departures thread and find out who's good and who isn't. Now, if we could get the coaches to regularly check the board so they'd know who should be playing defense on the PK, PP & five on five. :D

;) Lol...

I just want to add a thought of his older brother.

Pointer goes out there game after game under a charade perpetrated by these loser coaches, teammates, NHL scouts, etc. etc. believing that he's going a good job. I mean.. what does the older brother do?

Surely every non coach watching the game has been wooed into false security about such a heinously subpar player like LaPoint and sooner or later, LaPoint is going to find out and, as his brother surely watches the game from a non-coaching standpoint, even he's gotta know.

Tough position for him to be in.

It's kinda like Brian Lee. If LaPoint came in and played the role of offense first like he did in the USHL, he'd be burned and haters would frenzy. If he abandoned the USHL role, he'd be criticized because he's had to redevelop a new role that was not seen by him at the USHL level so he's not playing as well as he could.

Seriously, every time I long on and see posts criticizing players in most cases unfairly, I pray that no one who is friends or family or loved ones of the players have read the post. Simply sad how people can only see negatives.

Lee never had a shot after his first few games. Finley too. LaPoint was heading there but got injured which stopped most of the hating cold.

Oh well.

Did I miss something because I have been know to drink a beer or two at the games but While Pointers first couple of the weeks were a little shaky I thought he played relatively good this season. Also, he was only a sophomore last year.

I see some big things with Marto, Pointer, Genoway, Blood and Finehage (sp) seems like we could be ok defensively this season again. I am not seeing the doom and gloom.

Did I miss something because I have been know to drink a beer or two at the games but While Pointers first couple of the weeks were a little shaky I thought he played relatively good this season. Also, he was only a sophomore last year.

I see some big things with Marto, Pointer, Genoway, Blood and Finehage (sp) seems like we could be ok defensively this season again. I am not seeing the doom and gloom.

The only thing that you've missed is the fact that some posters here are predispositioned to like certain players and feel dislike towards others regardless of what the player has done or how well they've progressed.

Face it... it comes down to the freshman year and the first half of the season. A mistake here or there is just getting used to the game. A bad game or two, and it's lights out.

Genoway played great his freshman year and became a fan favorite. He got burned a lot more this year than he did in previous years (or so I noticed) but if he had a bad game, he didn't get roasted or overly criticized for it.

LaPoint was shakey his first half of the first season with the Sioux and well... now he's on "on ice liability." Ben Blood is headed the same direction. I wouldn't be surprised if Fienhage would be in the same boat had he played a bit more.

Has LaPoint had bad games? Yup. Is he a liability? Nope. Should we be uncomfortable with any player on the ice? Nope. If you do, then perhaps you need to question the coaching.

I trust Hakstol and company. If he sends out a cheerleader to play goaltender, I'll support it. I may look at him funny and question why, but I support it.

I will not feel a glimmer of nerves with LaPoint on the ice. He's just fine.

I thought he played pretty well once the team in general started playing better. I will admit I said some not nice things the beginning of the season regardinghis play, but he picked it up. I still remember that save he made in the st cloud game that would have definitely been a goal had he not batted that puck out of the air to get it out of the way. I definitely noticed his improved play. Maybe he's not the offensive stalwart he could be, but I'd rather have strong defensive play from him than that. That said, IF he wants to become more of an offensive force, he should work on getting some more power to his shot as not much is there. :D If others want to go and be all negative, that's fine by me. I have my own opinions and I'll stick by them.

agree 100% I don't see doom and gloom at all instead I see perhaps a better d overall and Lapoint is a big part of that.

is lapoint departing early? ;) i know this is the first ever thread to get off topic :D

This is a very good point.

This thread has a specific purpose. To talk about early departures. Let's get it back on track or we can just close it down.

This is a very good point.

This thread has a specific purpose. To talk about early departures. Let's get it back on track or we can just close it down.

LOL, I am sure we can just start another thread that we can defile. :D

is lapoint departing early? ;) i know this is the first ever thread to get off topic :D

hell its the off season ;) just people expressing opinions on a topic that was brought up

im guessing most of the early departures are done with the exception of a few here and there coming up

will be nice to have VV and his leadership back for the sioux if he does do so which it seems, lets hope he can turn that last month of play into a entire season next year and see him flourish into a all american type player!!

hell its the off season :D just people expressing opinions on a topic that was brought up

im guessing most of the early departures are done with the exception of a few here and there coming up

will be nice to have VV and his leadership back for the sioux if he does do so which it seems, lets hope he can turn that last month of play into a entire season next year and see him flourish into a all american type player!!

we're just speculating about next years early departures ;)

I do love the experts behind the computer screen. I am entitled to my opinion as much as any of you are to yours. I am a fan, and I know the game. I am biased towards the Canadian brand of hockey, but that's just experience talking. I have loved the SIoux my entire life and have missed very few games since the mainstreaming of internet based broadcasts.

Seriously if you all think that a big time D1 athlete or his family is going to be "upset" by reading fair criticism, then you have serious dillusions. They know its a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

I will gladly grade any hockey player fairly based on positioning, physical play, skill, skating, offensive zone play, neutral zone play, and defensive zone play. I have no bias on anything other than performance. Skating on this team was pretty simple: Marto, Genoway, Frattin.

I know a number of pro and college hockey players well. The word on the street this year was that several teams enjoyed playing UND, because "Their defensemen don't like to get hit." That sickens me.

There are a number of players in the league, that if they reported to me would be out of jobs. I don't tolerate average play. Second place is the first loser, you know?

Blood is a terrible skater, but did you know that he led the team in +/-? I would still say he is a terrible skater.

Kozek has the heaviest shot the Sioux have seen since Bochenski, but Andrew was a grinder, not a scorer.

When you play on a team that produces tons of NHL players, criticism for average play should be expected. If you want to be the hero, go play for Robert morris.

On the Pipeline Show, the Oilers Asst GM said Vandy is going back to UND... said they already told him to do so, and going back won't hurt his development.

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detai...:00:00&sn=4

right around the 2 minute mark if anyone feels like listening.

I didn't read anywhere else where it has been confirmed on either side so thought I'd post this.

On the Pipeline Show, the Oilers Asst GM said Vandy is going back to UND... said they already told him to do so, and going back won't hurt his development.

I didn't read anywhere else where it has been confirmed on either side so thought I'd post this.

Whooo, that would be excellent!

Sweet!

From Brad's blog:

UND junior forward Chris VandeVelde said he hasn't finalized his decision just yet, but all signs point to him returning to school for his senior year.

Edmonton Oilers assistant general manager Kevin Prendergast said on Edmonton Sports Radio's The Pipeline Show this week that the team has instructed prospects VandeVelde and Jeff Petry (Michigan State) that they should return to their respective schools.

"We already told them that we want them to go back," Prendergast said. "It's not going to hurt them to go back. Dave Hakstol's a tremendous coach at North Dakota. He feels that VandeVelde is going to need that one more year. It isn't going to hurt him from our standpoint to be there. It's going to be a very, very good team next year. He's going to be a captain."

VandeVelde said tonight that he will finalize his decision soon and that will probably result in him returning.

"I'm definitely leaning that way," he said.