SiouxSports.com Forum

FINAL 5 / NCAA Scoreboard Thead

AZSIOUX

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a regional being in Minneapolis, I don't think there is ANY way that Minnesota doesn't get in, thanks to the NCAA.

That would be awesome to be able to bitch about, but I don't think it's going to happen. Either they're in on merit or they're out.

I sincerely hope and wish you were right. However as much as I hate to say it, I think it will come down to dollars and sense. I mean CENTS. :glare:

7000+ tickets are sold. No need to screw someone more deserving over an additional 2,000 ticket sales. Scalpers are the only ones crying.

Just got back to the hotel from the game. Man, this was a game nobody wanted to win. Both teams looked pathetic. UMD could not skate the puck into the zone all night, it was simply dump and chase. MN clearly had better skaters and better passing, but just could not put anything together. UMD couldn't pass, couldn't skate. The one thing UMD did well was take the puck away from MN players. As for Stalock, he was not impressive. MN had 40+ shots on goal. Many came because Stalock would not stay in net, tried many long passes on his own and at least half got intercepted by Gophers. He crossed up his D many times. He would skate like he was going to drop the puck behind the net, then he would begin to skate with it, and then drop it. The D had no clue as to what he was going to do with it. Stalock played well on most of his saves, but he also got very lucky on a number of opportunities that MN just plain blew. I see many posts about how well Stalock played. I disagree. The numbers look good on paper, but he had to be driving Sandelin absolutely nuts. I now see how they could be swept by UAA.

UMD went into a shell with 14 minutes left and it almost cost them the game. UMD penalty kill was pretty good, other than the 5-3. They managed to kill the 5-3 but I think it was more luck than skill.

As for Kangas, he did not look well at all. The first UMD goal was all his fault. A soft shot that he just did control and Sharp was there for the easy rebound.

If UMD plays this poorly tomorrow night the Sioux had better beat them. Because if we don't it means we will look absolutely terrible.

Just got back to the hotel from the game. Man, this was a game nobody wanted to win. Both teams looked pathetic. UMD could not skate the puck into the zone all night, it was simply dump and chase. MN clearly had better skaters and better passing, but just could not put anything together. UMD couldn't pass, couldn't skate. The one thing UMD did well was take the puck away from MN players. As for Stalock, he was not impressive. MN had 40+ shots on goal. Many came because Stalock would not stay in net, tried many long passes on his own and at least half got intercepted by Gophers. He crossed up his D many times. He would skate like he was going to drop the puck behind the net, then he would begin to skate with it, and then drop it. The D had no clue as to what he was going to do with it. Stalock played well on most of his saves, but he also got very lucky on a number of opportunities that MN just plain blew. I see many posts about how well Stalock played. I disagree. The numbers look good on paper, but he had to be driving Sandelin absolutely nuts. I now see how they could be swept by UAA.

UMD went into a shell with 14 minutes left and it almost cost them the game. UMD penalty kill was pretty good, other than the 5-3. They managed to kill the 5-3 but I think it was more luck than skill.

As for Kangas, he did not look well at all. The first UMD goal was all his fault. A soft shot that he just did control and Sharp was there for the easy rebound.

If UMD plays this poorly tomorrow night the Sioux had better beat them. Because if we don't it means we will look absolutely terrible.

Duluth was pretty much in the shell the whole 3rd period and it nearly cost them...neither of these teams worry me; it was just "slug it out" hockey at the end and the Dawgs played just well enough to win...Minny will likely make the NCAA but that's one team that I would not mind the Sioux playing...Christ, Kangass had the flu and he cashed in early; what if Dirk Diggler/Fred Hoiberg/Kent Patterson gets a hangnail in the NCAA's? I'm pretty sure Stevie Debus is all out of eligibility... :glare:

How savvy was it for the Dog to haul down Stoa with 3 seconds left? Time ran out before the penalty could be called. Now that is a good penalty.

Was there that much time. Live I thought there was less than 2 but I wasn't watching the clock and the play. Just the play. I saw the arm go up and I was surprised they didn't call the penalty and put time up but I suppose the dogs didn't touch the puck so there you go. Pretty wild finish.

I will say this. MN dominated the 3rd, wracking up opportunity after opportunity. With 4-5 minutes left I think shots were about 40-25. Surprisingly, the Duluth that looked spooked and scared for most of the 3rd suddenly bottled up MN and final shots I think were 40-30. Nice finish for Duluth, which they needed to do. However, it might have been for naught without a couple monumental whiffs.

Anyone noticing anything in particular about either team on how they're playing tonight and how that would translate to tomorrow's game vs the Sioux?

From our seats we thought the Bulldogs lacked speed and the ability to quickly turn the transition. They got the puck deep but rarely seemed to be able to work it out front for good opportunities. They did a great job of blocking shots and played very very hard.

I think the Sioux have to get bodies to the net. MN got shots to Stalock and he deflected them here and there, but take enough shots and get enough bodies in close and you'll pick up one or 2 of those. MN didn't. Don't take too many penalties as Duluth's PP looked pretty good. And since Duluth seems to be a little challenged offensively, don't make stupid mistakes with the puck that lead to odd-man rushes.

I think the Watkins/Martens/Zajac line could be a key tomorrow, if they can rag the puck and wear down the D. They may be able to generate some chances.

All other play aside, I agree with Siouxman...both teams looked very beatable, and neither really wanted anything to do with offense in the first two periods.

UMD won solely because Nico Sacchetti did not hit a gaping net, but instead beat Stalock 5-hole (way wide of the net :glare: )

I really hope to see less of a trap fest tomorrow night. I'll be there in person :D

So to keep the Gophers out, we want Princeton to do good? What other teams do we need to cheer for tomorrow?

Alaska, Northern michigan both long shots St Lawrence, Boston College and this I dont like but Umd to win against sioux booooo and wisconsin to win wcha tourny. anyways win it all sioux and denver lose 2 we go to Minnesota as a 1 seed. Bring on the Goofers!!

If you want to shoot the moon -- I have a list of what it takes for the Sioux to finish #3 in the PWR in this post. :silly:

Unless I did something wrong I did that scenario and could just get us into a 3-way tie for third in which we lose the tie breaker with ne and mich so in a sense we'd be fifth.

edit-nevermind I got.

Alaska, Northern michigan both long shots St Lawrence, Boston College and this I dont like but Umd to win against sioux booooo and wisconsin to win wcha tourny. anyways win it all sioux and denver lose 2 we go to Minnesota as a 1 seed. Bring on the Goofers!!

as things sit right now if we end up being a one seed we will not be playing in minneapolis as the gophers would be a 4 seed and we can't play them in the first round. so we would end up elsewhere.

I sincerely hope and wish you were right. However as much as I hate to say it, I think it will come down to dollars and sense. I mean CENTS. :silly:

again with this non-sense? if this happens there will surely be an out-cry, but there's nothing to support a prediction like this and years of pwr vs. committee selection to support the opposite. i think the committee will get it right again. if the goofs finish high enough in the pwr, they're in. if not, we'll see them next season...and crush their season again.

So, who's everyone cheering for, DU or WI? WI obviously has more to play for - but that hasn't stopped them in the past :silly: and DU is hurt.

I understand both teams winning and losing impact the Sioux and the WCHA(?).

As much as I would rather play DU than Sconnie, I'm going for Sconnie as it will help us in the PWR,

Of course, let's take care of ours first and foremost, and let the rest of it play out as it will.