SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice and unexpected win by the men last night in Vermillion. Rypkema is on fire in the second half of the NCC season, averaging just over 25 ppg. Not bad for a first-year starter, huh?

The Sioux are also in a position to actually finish at .500 in the league with two home wins next weekend. I personally never thought that would be possible. Also, UND has a realistic chance to move as high as fourth (and even an outside chance of tying for third if NDSU stumbles twice next weekend at home), which would mean a home game in the first round of the NCC tournament. The biggest keys are, of course, winning twice next weekend, and USD losing at home to SDSU. If both of those happen, I believe the Sioux are assured of no worse than the fourth seed since UND swept USD and would therefore own the tie-breaker.

Great win last night, although I was having flashbacks to last year as I listened. Rype has been amazing lately, makes me think the Sioux have a shot to turn some heads at the conference tournament. Rype's success makes you wonder what the men's record would be if they could consistently hit an open jumper, which is where Keith Parks fits in (he shot an amazing 57.7% in the games he played, an astounding % for a jump shooter). With the Bison's collars being as tight as they are, SDSU, UNO, and Mankato are the teams I don't want to see in the first round of the conference tourney, i like the Sioux's chances against all other comers.

It will be interesting to see which Mankato team shows up next weekend--the one that took SDSU to the wire in Brookings on Saturday, or the one that lost to woeful Augie on Friday. It will also be interesting to see how Rypkema does against Mankato's center Whitfield, who is a pretty good defender and who leads the league in blocked shots.

Does anyone know whether UND is still in the running for Brett Winkelman?

It looks like UND is in a bit of a difficult situation recruiting-wise with such a large junior class right now. The positive is, of course, that having a senior-dominated team should pay dividends on the court next season. On the negative side, there will be a lot of roster spots to fill but I assume there's not much scholarship money available until after next season.

BTW, is anyone else as surprised as I am that despite 61 points and 20 boards on the weekend, Rypkema didn't even get co-player of the week in the NCC?

Does anyone know whether UND is still in the running for Brett Winkelman? 

It looks like UND is in a bit of a difficult situation recruiting-wise with such a large junior class right now.  The positive is, of course, that having a senior-dominated team should pay dividends on the court next season.  On the negative side, there will be a lot of roster spots to fill but I assume there's not much scholarship money available until after next season.

BTW, is anyone else as surprised as I am that despite 61 points and 20 boards on the weekend, Rypkema didn't even get co-player of the week in the NCC?

There was real disappointment by the coaches that Winkelman didn't give a commitment and sign during the early period in Nov, and I keep hearing that it looks more and more like football as time goes by. I'll find out what the deal is and post it. Brielmaier from Mankato hasn't signed or commited yet either, so he is still out there. Pretty much the whole NCC is after these 2 guys, and if UND can get one of them it would be good, especially Brielmaier. Wing guys are a dime a dozen, especially with the Juco kids wings the Sioux get every 2 years (Powell, Iverson, Jenkins, Lollar, Porter, Austin), but getting a FR inside guy who can redshirt and actually play is occuring less and less these days.

I find it appalling that Ryp didn't get Player of the Week honors. His stats blew away the other two and came against pretty darn good competition.

I agree with your comments about recruiting challenges with a large junior class but it goes much further than that. It will likely be into the summer before we know if Parks, Nobles and Doyle have fully healed from serious injuries. Especially Parks, his knee was really messed up. It would appear that Nobles and Doyle should be OK but if any of the three can't go, it will be too late to find a talented replacement and we are right back where we were this year. Also, they may be able to play but will they be the player they used to be? We just won't know for months.

Winkelman is still a possibility but is thinking more about DI aspirations. They are talking to some other talented HS players but with limited $ available, it is difficult to offer free rides. A couple are interested (at this point) in coming in for a partial and "earning" more $ after the first year. That would really help with the large junior class problem we have.

They are looking at some juco players this week who won't be able to go DI. Koenig is still not thrilled about Green Bay but continues to start (not many minutes a game, though) and the team is in the hunt for their conference title. Despite not caring for the campus, etc., he may stay if they go aways in the tourney.

Dan Harkins, the guard out of Portage, WS, is having a good year - averaging about 20 with his team winning their conference. It will be interesting whether he is "too good" to redshirt next year.

The DII mens limit is 10.

The DI mens limit is 13.

Those "so many in so many" rules you mention I've never looked at.

I know the 'so many in so many' exist in DI, unless they got rid of them due to all the early departures. I'm just not sure the exact rule. With us having a big junior class, I'm guessing it doesn't exist at the DII level.

I know the 'so many in so many' exist in DI, unless they got rid of them due to all the early departures. I'm just not sure the exact rule. With us having a big junior class, I'm guessing it doesn't exist at the DII level.

You mean the 5/8 rule? It means you can only give out 5 new scholarships to one class and 8 scholarships over 2 recruiting classes... I am guessing D2 does not have this.

There is no 5/8 rule in D2.  An example is this year the Sioux men brought in 6 new guys, Gutter, Doyle, Austin, Parks, Nobles, and Stoute who are all on some amount of scholarship.

Yes, but are they full scholarships? Does that make a difference?

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

I would assume that Legend was meaning that, if we had a chance to land Koenig, we would find the money to do so. And, he is probably right!

I am quite sure there is nothing new regarding his transfer. In fact, if anything, he may be more apt to stay at GB now than he was a couple of weeks ago.