SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Cratter,

1)You don't want to build a basketball arena too large.(Valpo only seats 5,000 Gonzaga's new stadium will seat a little over 6,000 )

2) It's financially possible to renovate at the current time, but not to build new

3) The Fargodome is still discussing a "small-event" venue that would also conveniently be the perfect size for Bison BB.

Corella,

doh! I forget about the parents section. :) I sit at about mid-court, right above the students about ten rows up in the seats. I forget how bad the bleachers are, but have no desire to sit in them :sad: . The BSA has been brought up before, but thrown on the backburner.

UND 92,96

I also forgot to throw in the excuse that the men and women playing on separate nights probably affected attendance. ;):( Some people probably had to choose one night or the other.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching up on this thread.....lots of talk about poor attendance by Bison fand at UND and Sioux fans at NDSU. I think this whole thing got screwed up in the 80's when Bison/Sioux wasn't played on the same weekend. When I was in undergrad school the game was played Friday at one place and Saturday at the other. Splitting the games up was the worse thing that the schools could have done for keeping the intensity high for the games. If I remember right it was paranoia aboud students drinking and driving that cause the games to be split like that. All I can say is it was a stupid move.

Catching up on this thread.....lots of talk about poor attendance by Bison fand at UND and Sioux fans at NDSU. I think this whole thing got screwed up in the 80's when Bison/Sioux wasn't played on the same weekend. When I was in undergrad school the game was played Friday at one place and Saturday at the other. Splitting the games up was the worse thing that the schools could have done for keeping the intensity high for the games. If I remember right it was paranoia aboud students drinking and driving that cause the games to be split like that. All I can say is it was a stupid move.

Exactly right. College sports and the NCAA has become far too concerned with money, there is the reason for the splitting u pof the games. Why not have 2 nights of 5000+ tickets instead of one? I don't know if you can exactly blame the universities for doing it, but I also think most fans would rather pay double the price for a one night doubleheader then pay for 2 tickets at one game apiece, seperate nights.

... the BSA will be undergoing a major renovation ($18M ?) after this season.

According to the Fargo Forum article on subject I read (back in October-ish), you have an extra "1" in that estimate. It's $8 MM renovation. The story also said that they are working on blueprints, but don't have the money yet either.

Meanwhile, meet The Betty. :)

Where were Sioux fans? Well, you can't blame the cold. They were out, and filling their home stadium.

Friday:

Basketball, UND at NDSU: 5030

Hockey, Denver at UND: 11295

Saturday:

Basketball, UND at NDSU: 5120

Hockey, Denver at UND: 11668

What is the seating capacity of the REA?

According to the Fargo Forum article on subject I read (back in October-ish), you have an extra "1" in that estimate. It's $8 MM renovation. The story also said that they are working on blueprints, but don't have the money yet either.

Meanwhile, meet The Betty. :)

actually I think is it 15M according to this link

One question I have with the Betty... why didn't they build it slightly larger (about 5K vs 4K)... that way they could play all BB games (minus a NCC championship/regional) in the Betty... easing conflicts with hockey. From what I have heard.. all conference BB games next year will be in the Ralph so the Betty is essentially just a practice court after the first of the year when VB is over and the conference BB season starts. Don't get me wrong.. I think getting the Betty is great for UND.. but I think it could be used more if it was slightly larger

One question I have with the Betty... why didn't they build it slightly larger (about 5K vs 4K)... that way they could play all BB games (minus a NCC championship/regional) in the Betty... easing conflicts with hockey. From what I have heard.. all conference BB games next year will be in the Ralph so the Betty is essentially just a practice court after the first of the year when VB is over and the conference BB season starts. Don't get me wrong.. I think getting the Betty is great for UND.. but I think it could be used more if it was slightly larger

That, I think, is a question that we all have. Shoot, why not just build it to seat 6000 with options for 500 or so more so that the Betty would be able to handle all basketball functions, could host a dual boys/girls state basketball tournament simultaneously between it and the Ralph. It all goes back the the REA wanting to show off "The World's Greatest Hockey Arena", and lets face it, opposing fans, when they get to GF, have to be much more excited and/or curious about playi8ng in the Ralph. There is nothing wrong with wanting that further exposure from their end, but the atmosphere in the REA isn't the greatest for basketball. I feel bad making a big deal over something that was given to us for free, though. For all we know the Betty may provide an unbelieveable basketball atmosphere, so who knows.

Many folks have wondered how the size number came about for The Betty.

The best answer I've heard is this:

At 4000, the next "size up" is roughly 5000.

The lower bowl of REA is roughly 5000.

Why rebuild the lower bowl of REA?

Plus, in the REA you have the suites and Club Rooms in place already.

The REA holds 11406 for hockey. On the weekend UND "maxed out" (an average of greater than two sold out arenas) for hockey.

Before you ask: The overcapacity number Saturday is because they sell SROs and let people stand and watch from the North and South Club Rooms.

I would think 4000 seats would be much too small for UND's new BB arena. SCSU has had 2 or 3 crowds over 4000 this year and I would think UND's larger following, they would pack a 5000 seat new arena. I saw us play UND at REA and that was too big to fill but 5000 would be nice. Are the seats in "The Betty" going to be the same as REA? For such a great, 1st class, beautiful arena, the seating stinks. Everybody is on top of each other, there is no leg room, and the seats are very small.

Sicatoka,

Note the use of the '?' in my post of the dollar amount of the BSA. It was in the tens of millions, I just couldn't remember the exact amount. Obviously, somebison clarified the issue.

The fundraising campaign has begun, as the BSA is part of the $70 million university fundraising campaign.

Didn't you proclaim earlier that the renovation of the BSA was a sound financial move on the part of NDSU? :huh:

Everybody is on top of each other, there is no leg room, and the seats are very small.

huskies: You must have been in the upper deck. Seating up there is tight for leg room, but they did it that way to get the seats in. But hey, you're still in a leather, theatre-style seat, right?

bisonguy: Upgrading facilities is a sound move if you have the dollars to do it.

I recall the $8 MM number (because it was what The Betty was estimated to be as well) from the Forum. The link (on page 345 of 403) does show the $15 MM request. I also noted the recommendation on the request: $0. That reads like Bismarck (the ND state treasury) isn't going to help on the renovation.

I also noted these words next to UND's request: "Non-State Funded Projects." Translated? UND is asking to build $53 MM worth of new facilities on campus .... with monies from outside sources, not from the ND state treasury. ($8 MM of that is The Betty. I'm not sure what the rest is.)

I think in this day and age getting any money from the state for projects such as these will be next to impossible. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think NDSU got much if any state money to build the new Business Administration building. Our last fundraising project exceeded projections, hopefully alumni will feel as generous this time around. 15M should get SU a pretty nice arena.

This has to be one of the weirdest NCC men's basketball seasons I can remember. First, you have a team in first place who has practically no margin for error to even make the post-season since they already have 8 losses overall. NDSU still has very tough games yet to play at USD and UNO, not to mention difficult home games against SDSU, St. Cloud and Mankato. Plus, there's the NCC post-season tournament. If they get to 10 or 11 losses, they would very possibly not even get in unless they won the post-season tournament. It will be interesting to see how far they slip in the regional rankings this week.

Second, there's basically very little difference between the first place team, and the team in 7th. Notwithstanding the lop-sided loss in Fargo, you have one team at 12-9 overall, one at 13-8, and a split in the season series. And that's despite the fact that this is one of the weakest UND men's teams in many years, albeit due in large part to injuries.

Also, other than Rypkema, there's not a single true center in the top 20 in the league in scoring. While there are players like King who post up a lot, at 6'5" he's not exactly a true center. Where have all the post players gone?

I am looking forward to this weekend, where the Sioux should have a 2 game conference winning streak going into Sat with SDSU. I thing UND has a shot against SDSU because I can guarantee that SDSU is overlooking the men. The NDSU-SDSU game is make-or-break for both teams, SDSU loses they have a very slim shot at winning the league, the Bison lose their playoff hopes are all but shot (unless they win the conference tourney). UND matches up with SDSU pretty sell, and if the Sioux can take care of the ball (cut own turnovers) like they did against the Bison, it should be a game. I am curious to see what kind of crowd will show up with hockey in town and all, though.

I am assuming it is this weekend and MSUM/SCSU?... if by chance the UND women were to host NCC or the regional where would the games be held?

Interesting, I'd never thought of that, but for it to happen they would have to end up in 1st or 2nd in regular season and win the conference tourney. CSP would have to falter, maybe, but I'd hope the region would be at Hyslop, I'd like the Sioux's chances against anybody there.

Considering the injuries and the lack of the "real" Aaron Austin this year, what kind of record would make this a successful season? I'm thinking that 15 or 16 wins would actually be a good season all things considered, although I know some will disagree with that. I honestly didn't think the Sioux would win more than 3 or 4 games after the Mary debacle.

I am looking forward to this weekend, where the Sioux should have a 2 game conference winning streak going into Sat with SDSU. I thing UND has a shot against SDSU because I can guarantee that SDSU is overlooking the men. The NDSU-SDSU game is make-or-break for both teams, SDSU loses they have a very slim shot at winning the league, the Bison lose their playoff hopes are all but shot (unless they win the conference tourney). UND matches up with SDSU pretty sell, and if the Sioux can take care of the ball (cut own turnovers) like they did against the Bison, it should be a game. I am curious to see what kind of crowd will show up with hockey in town and all, though.

I think UND will have a tough time with SDSU because of their depth. Even though the starters match up well with theirs, SDSU still has some tall freshman that will be able to trade with the starters and wear the men down.

Considering the injuries and the lack of the "real" Aaron Austin this year, what kind of record would make this a successful season? I'm thinking that 15 or 16 wins would actually be a good season all things considered, although I know some will disagree with that. I honestly didn't think the Sioux would win more than 3 or 4 games after the Mary debacle.

I think that the 16 win mark, with this team that the Sioux put on the court, is a good year for coach Glas. 16 wins puts them at 7-9 in the NCC, and one of the assistants told me right before Christmas that if this team can go .500 in conference, he will call every coach in the league and tell them to vote for Rich for coach of the year. Whether the calls will be made is a whole nother issue, but, dispite his critics, you'd have to say that 16 wins is a job well done.

Rypkema and Lindahl are really headed in opposite directions right now. When he's not in foul trouble, it doesn't look like anybody in the league can guard Ryp one-on-one once he gets the ball on the low blocks. If he could make free throws, he'd be unstoppable. Granted, the post play in the NCC is really down, but Ryp appears to me to be by far the best offensive post player in the league.

Lindahl, on the other hand, has completely disappeared the past two or three weeks. I have no idea what happened to him since he was on his way to being an all-NCC selection at the halfway point of the conference season. Between Lindahl, Jacobson and Jahner, I'm not sure who played the worst last night. The best lineup right now would appear to be Ryp, Wells (for defensive reasons only), Johnson, Austin and Dahl.

And the worst part of Lindahl's game lately has been his defense. I'm beginning to think Mark Kauk could undress him with a little ball fake. He's rushing his shot when he does get a good look, and his rebounding hasn't been there lately either. You'd think that with Rype's solid play that Lindahl's would be good too, Rype has been doubled a lot, Lindahl can't get open though. That is what that early season streth did to him, now he is th efoacl point of the other team's defense. Austin was real solid last night, I'd say his best all-around performance of the year. SDSU killed UND on the offensive boards despite being almost always outsized. As a Sioux fan though, you had to be pleased with the final score, the team is showing improvements and is competitive giving itself a chance to win, and with this injury torn group I think that is all you can ask, keep it close and see what happens.