SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys don't care to hear what I know about UND men's BB (see my post of 12:21 on 12/16), I will gladly discontinue my posts about it.

By the way, unless someone appears out of nowhere, UND will NOT have a DI transfer playing after the first of the year. They may have one in school for the second semester but he will not play.

The FB player is Stattelman.

I certainly hope you continue to post updates. You seem to have a connection with someone "in the know" as to the mens basketball program. I'm also very curious as to the identity of the juco player coming in for a visit whom we may have heard of.

That is too bad the two teams can't play. I heard the Bison are coming to Marshall for a tournament next year.

It will be interesting to see if the UND men play any road games next year. It sounds like their "buying" alot of home games, getting teams to play there. Making a run so they can host the regional and win the region. With the Elite Eight coming to Grand Forks, not a bad plan.

I'm not too bitter about not playing them not year in basketball. I think taking a year or two off will only enhance it on all fields. It is also shoving one in Gene "The Visionary" Taylor's face for going public with his little spin of things about "the ball's in their court" crap. There are consequences to every decision, and the bison are going to have to live with it and so are we. Even if they were still in D2 I'd be against playing them in baskeyball nexy year. They are brutal this year and are losing 3 or 4 starters and their scorers including their 2 best players in Cofield and Nemmers, with that team they should just set up a high school schedule anyway. But they'll be scheduling D3s and NAIAs to fil their schedule anyway, so they may get a few wins.

It will be interesting to see if the UND men play any road games next year.  It sounds like their "buying" alot of home games, getting teams to play there.  Making a run so they can host the regional and win the region.  With the Elite Eight coming to Grand Forks, not a bad plan.

When you consider how few home non-conference games there were this year, there should be far more home games than road games next year. This was one of the worst years I can remember for home non-conference games for both men and women. UND even travelled for two games against NAIA teams (Mary and Minot St.) for some unknown reason.

I'm not too bitter about not playing them not year in basketball.  I think taking a year or two off will only enhance it on all fields.  It is also shoving one in Gene "The Visionary" Taylor's face for going public with his little spin of things about "the ball's in their court" crap.  There are consequences to every decision, and the bison are going to have to live with it and so are we.  Even if they were still in D2 I'd be against playing them in baskeyball nexy year.  They are brutal this year and are losing 3 or 4 starters and their scorers including their 2 best players in Cofield and Nemmers, with that team they should just set up a high school schedule anyway.  But they'll be scheduling D3s and NAIAs to fil their schedule anyway, so they may get a few wins.

While I realize full well that we don't have too much to brag about in terms of our mens basketball team this year, I can't understand how NDSU can go for several years in a row now without anything resembling a decent post player. The last decent post player I can recall is Brian Sand back in the mid-90's. They can generally find some pretty good perimeter players, and obviously had an outstanding player in Tenbroek, but they never seem to have anybody decent over about 6'5" who can consistently score in double figures. Is it really that hard to recruit a 6'7" or taller guy who can score and rebound? UND has had at least one player who fits that mold pretty much every year for as long as I can remember, from Vonesh to Gardner to Johnson to Ehrp to Mustard to Behrens to Beasley to Rypkema and Lindahl. Not all of them have been or are superstars, but compared to Andy Kelchen or John Banks or Jack May they all have been.

I think not playing in Hoops in an interesting decision.. I know playing in FB would hurt UND's home playoff chances... but the SSI (the bible of Roger Thomas ;) ) is calculated differently in hoops. A win over NDSU would be worth more than anything other than a win on the road versus a .750 team. I don't know about you but considering the recent "success" of the bison men I would take my chances versus NDSU rather than a .750 D2 school. I think the game would be fun.. but if not.. that is fine too :)

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/bask...allHandbook.pdf

2. Overall strength-of-schedule index:

Win on the road versus a team at or above .750 .............17 points

Win versus Division I team................................................15 points

Win at home versus a team at or above .750...................14 points

Win on the road versus a team at or above .500 .............13 points

Win at home versus a team at or above .500...................12 points

Win on the road versus a team below .500, but above

.250............................................................................

...11 points

Win at home versus a team below .500, but above

.250............................................................................

...10 points

Win on the road versus a team at or below .250............... 9 points

Win at home versus a team at or below .250 .................... 8 points

Win versus non-Division I or II team ...................................7 points

Loss versus Division I team ................................................7 points

Loss on the road versus a team at or above .750............. 7 points

Loss at home versus a team at or above .750 .................. 6 points

Loss on the road versus a team at or above .500............. 5 points

Loss at home versus a team at or above .500 .................. 4 points

Loss on the road versus a team below .500, but above

.250 ................................................................................

3 points

Loss at home versus a team below .500, but above

.250 ................................................................................

2 points

Loss on the road versus a team at or below .250 ............... 1 point

Loss versus non-Division I or II team..................................0 points

Loss at home versus a team at or below .250................... 0 points

Discussions continue about why UND doesn't plan to play NDSU in the major sports in forseeable future. Yes, you can say that SU made their decision to move up and UND doesn't want to play them because of it. This makes sense and, as a UND fan, I fully agree with that stance. SU can say - it will take a few years before they get all the extra scholarships in place so games for the next couple of years wouldn't be unfair, etc. That is probably also true. These are among many factors (most important is DII's formula for qualifying for playoffs) that are discussed as to why the we should or should not continue playing each other.

However, one of the biggest reasons for UND coaches not wanting to continue hasn't been discussed much:

With NDSU's lack of a conference affiliation along with having some trouble filling their schedules, the game against UND (FB or men & women's BB) would be NDSU's "Super Bowl" for at least the next couple of years - easily the most important game on their schedule. While it would continue to be a big game for UND, it certainly wouldn't be the most important of the year. A game against UNO or St. Cloud to determine an NCC championship or to make the playoffs would be much more important.

While you may or may not agree with this concern on the part of the Sioux, when you combine it with the Bison making the decision to change divisions, I believe that it is the only position for UND to take.

Discussions continue about why UND doesn't plan to play NDSU in the major sports in forseeable future. Yes, you can say that SU made their decision to move up and UND doesn't want to play them because of it. This makes sense and, as a UND fan, I fully agree with that stance. SU can say - it will take a few years before they get all the extra scholarships in place so games for the next couple of years wouldn't be unfair, etc. That is probably also true. These are among many factors (most important is DII's formula for qualifying for playoffs) that are discussed as to why the we should or should not continue playing each other.

However, one of the biggest reasons for UND coaches not wanting to continue hasn't been discussed much:

With NDSU's lack of a conference affiliation along with having some trouble filling their schedules, the game against UND (FB or men & women's BB) would be NDSU's "Super Bowl" for at least the next couple of years - easily the most important game on their schedule. While it would continue to be a big game for UND, it certainly wouldn't be the most important of the year. A game against UNO or St. Cloud to determine an NCC championship or to make the playoffs would be much more important.

While you may or may not agree with this concern on the part of the Sioux, when you combine it with the Bison making the decision to change divisions, I believe that it is the only position for UND to take.

I agree. And the bIson can say they don't have an advantage for at least a few years, but really having the DI next to your name is all the advantage it takes. It is a recruiting advantage to an unbelievable degree. It would be worthless playing them next year anyway, if we want to play a guy's team of that calibre why not schedule EGF Sacred Heart's JV? It will be laughable how bad they are going to be next year. Well, at least their games will be on the bottomline which they think is the biggest perk to DI.

Here is another more recent one.

http://www.madison.com/captimes/sports/preps/63064.php

I have to say, he seems like a real good get. I know that Valparaiso and Western Kentucky showed some interest in the kid. Another thing I like about him is that he plays the point fot his HS team. The Sioux have struggled against the press in the past, having only the PG as a good ballhandler (Brandt and Walks weren't very good dribblers IMO), and that problem would seem to be taken care of for the future. With he and Doyle in the backcourt in the future, it seems very well taken care of.

I don't agree with the decision not to play NDSU in basketball. Playing a D1 school isn't going to hurt the playoff possibilities like it would in football. I don't think it is necessary to play NDSU twice in one season, but why not sign a two year contract with one men's game in Fargo and one in GF and vice versa with the women.

From reading the quotes in the paper, it sounds like sour grapes from Glas and Roebuck are the only reason for not playing and I don't like it. Playing DAC 10 and NSIC schools in the non-conference games are not going to put 6000+ fans in the REA.

I don't agree with the decision not to play NDSU in basketball. Playing a D1 school isn't going to hurt the playoff possibilities like it would in football. I don't think it is necessary to play NDSU twice in one season, but why not sign a two year contract with one men's game in Fargo and one in GF and vice versa with the women.

From reading the quotes in the paper, it sounds like sour grapes from Glas and Roebuck are the only reason for not playing and I don't like it. Playing DAC 10 and NSIC schools in the non-conference games are not going to put 6000+ fans in the REA.

I tend to agree with you on this one. This seems to be more of a personal thing on the parts of Glas and Roebuck, and I don't think it's playing very well in the North Dakota media--even outside of Fargo--or with the public. I can understand it to a degree with Roebuck after the debacle in Fargo last year, and I don't think it's any secret that he and Ruley don't really like each other. But with Rich, I don't really understand it. To the best of my knowledge, there's not any real conflict between he and Miles. And in terms of competitiveness, I personally don't think NDSU will ever get to the level in mens basketball where their talent would be even at a high dII level, let alone be even a marginally strong dI program. It's going to be virtually impossible to recruit legitimate dI basketball talent to the frozen tundra of ND.

UND's decison not to play NDSU in basketball doesn't bother me one bit. I find it highy ironic -- not to mention hypocritical -- to hear Bison fans, NDSU coaches and the Fargo media wax poetic about The Great Rivalry over the years. But they never ask themselves the one fundamental question that matters: If the rivarly was so wonderful, why was NDSU in such a hurry to screw it up? :)

Edited by PCM

UND's decison not to play NDSU in basketball doesn't bother me one bit. I find it highy ironic -- not to mention hypocritical -- to hear Bison fans, NDSU coaches and the Fargo media wax poetic about The Great Rivalry over the years. But they never ask themselves the one fundamental question that matters: If the rivarly was so wonderful, why was NDSU in such a hurry to screw it up?

The UND men get two close wins in the SDSU tournament--over Colorado School of Mines and Winona St.

Any news regarding Austin? There's been nothing official yet nor has there been anything in the Herald. I hope he's still on the way because right now nearly all of the scoring load falls on Rypkema, Lindahl and Johnson. Without Austin, it will be extremely difficult to finish at .500 in the NCC. There just isn't enough offense. With Austin, things could be pretty interesting since aside from SDSU, everybody in the NCC looks pretty beatable right now.

The UND men get two close wins in the SDSU tournament--over Colorado School of Mines and Winona St.

Any news regarding Austin? There's been nothing official yet nor has there been anything in the Herald. I hope he's still on the way because right now nearly all of the scoring load falls on Rypkema, Lindahl and Johnson. Without Austin, it will be extremely difficult to finish at .500 in the NCC. There just isn't enough offense. With Austin, things could be pretty interesting since aside from SDSU, everybody in the NCC looks pretty beatable right now.

It was thought that he would begin practicing sometime around the 1st of the year, but some eligability issues have arisen and he didn't travel this weekend. The last I was told which was the day after Xmas his eligibility was unknown. And with Nobles now done for the year he is needed even more. The bench is a real problem now, with AJ the only guy who has the potential to contribute points there. The recent wins have impressed me a ton, though, but the bench remains a huge concern.