SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of factors that would have helped him. Coach Glas obviously really knows what he is doing with them, as evidenced by our great C's and PF's the last 15+ years. It only helped Rype tp practice against Beasley for 2 years. Individual workouts have obviously helped him a lot. And a lot of the credit has to go to Todd himself in working hard. Rype is a few steps away from being a truely dominant player. He isn't as aggressive as most would like. He goes to his right-handed jump-hook almost exclusively, teams will be starting to overplay that, which is why he needs more confidence in a move to the other direction. His free throws are average at best. These aren't necessarily criticisms, just things that if Rype got better at he would be an unbelievable force.

In an unrelated manner, Maurice Hargrow, the Gophers second best player and an excellent talent, got his release today. He is a JR that didn't redshirt (if memory serves me correctly). I'd be surprised if he didn't transfer to a DII school because it is so odd for a player to leave a team a week and a half into a semester and would make for a sticky situation as far as his eligibility clock at the DI level goes. Hopefully the coaches now down in Sioux Falls are on the phone trying to get some info to see if there is an interest on his part in UND, but I'd be surprised if he didn't end up in Mankato, St. Cloud, or at CSP (St. Paul native).

It was nice to see that Jacobson finally had something of a breakout game, scoring 18 in last night's win at Augie. Also, Stoute has had three strong performances in a row. With his combination of size, strength and athletic ability, it sounds like he is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. It's easy to see why the coaches wanted to red-shirt him. The fact that he's apparently improved this much in a short period of time shows what an extra year might have done for him. Fortunately, he will still have next season to give the Sioux hopefully a pretty lethal three-person rotation at the 4 and 5 positions, along with Lindahl and Ryp.

Dan Dahl had a great weekend as well, and it is important that he play solidly nightly in order to spell Jade and keep the D honest, because when Jade is in their they can sag and help a lot more the way he has shot the ball. Also great to see AJ put up some points. With he and Lindahl in their at the forwards, and playing well, it should be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses because of thier height, length, and overall skill. Makes for an interesting next 2 weeks. I'm calling a split with each team winning on the road simply because it has happened so much in the last 10 years.

I was watching the sports on Fox last night (ch. 10 in GF), and Ben Nemmers said they really wanted to pound the ball inside because they felt they had an advantage with their interior players. Huh? Lindahl, Rypkema and the rapidly improving Stoute are averaging 32.4 points and 14.7 rebounds per game. May, Erbes and Kelchen average 21.1 points and 14.6 rebounds per game. The only advantage NDSU has is a little bulk, and that disappears when Stoute is in the game. Kelchen has had a bulk advantage over nearly everyone he's played against for the past three years, and he's done next to nothing in his career.

I'm not completely biased, as I would have no problem with admitting that NDSU has an advantage in the backcourt. But on the interior, UND is clearly taller and more talented. Even if it turns into a wrestling match (and I have no doubt it probably will), Stoute is probably both stronger AND more athletic than anybody NDSU has inside, and if NDSU tries to cover Lindahl with one of their bigger guys, he'll take them outside and either drive around them or shoot over them.

I was watching the sports on Fox last night (ch. 10 in GF), and Ben Nemmers said they really wanted to pound the ball inside because they felt they had an advantage with their interior players. Huh? Lindahl, Rypkema and the rapidly improving Stoute are averaging 32.4 points and 14.7 rebounds per game. May, Erbes and Kelchen average 21.1 points and 14.6 rebounds per game. The only advantage NDSU has is a little bulk, and that disappears when Stoute is in the game. Kelchen has had a bulk advantage over nearly everyone he's played against for the past three years, and he's done next to nothing in his career.

I'm not completely biased, as I would have no problem with admitting that NDSU has an advantage in the backcourt. But on the interior, UND is clearly taller and more talented. Even if it turns into a wrestling match (and I have no doubt it probably will), Stoute is probably both stronger AND more athletic than anybody NDSU has inside, and if NDSU tries to cover Lindahl with one of their bigger guys, he'll take them outside and either drive around them or shoot over them.

I would hope to God that the Bison do come inside. The Bison have been great in conference thus far, but Coefield is the only player who worries me. Lindahl presents perhaps the toughest matchup in the conference for the Bison. They can't have the 6-3 Green guard him for obvious reasons.. They can't have Erbes who is 6-5 guard him because he has the footspeed and leaping ability of a bison. Kelchen cannot guard him for the same reason Erbes cannot, and because he is nothing more then a fat blob who simply puts his body on people. May may end up on him, and he is probably thier best post defender, leaving Erbes, who plays with May a majority of the time, on Rype, which is another profound disadvantage for the Bison. Another thing I like is the matchup we have at SF, with Jacobson on Dobmeier, Witt, and the other Green. Once again, that is a gigantic size advantage in the Sioux's favor. I am going to call Jacobson having another great game on Fri playing in Fargo against his buddy Dobmeier, who is 25+ pounds too heavy. Records don't mean a thing in these games, and I really like the Sioux's chances for at least 1 of 2 because of the huge matchup advantages we have on the inside.

I am going to call Jacobson having another great game on Fri playing in Fargo against his buddy Dobmeier, who is 25+ pounds too heavy. 

Based on what I've seen of Dobmeier on a few highlights, he does look like he's let himself go a bit. Although the Mr. Basketball award is not based on who will have the best college career, I have a feeling that when their college careers are over with, people will have a hard time believing in retrospect that he got Mr. BB over Lindahl. Lindahl is a possible future NCC mvp, while Dobmeier is little more than a guy who'll make an occasional 3-pointer. Why NDSU didn't at least red-shirt the kid two years ago I'll never know since he barely played as a true freshman.

Another thing I hope, and really expect, is another step in the positve direction by Aaron Austin. He apparently played pretty well against the Bunnys, but I was told by someone at the Augie game he didn't look very good at all. His conditioning is getting better, and he got 2 3's to go last week. If he can give 8-10 a night, that makes the Sioux SO much better, and the bench that much more servicable. Hopefully with the seemingly added intensity and scrutiny paced over the Bison games he can show people just what he can do.

Looks like the Bison took it inside all night long, but the taller and more *cough* talented *cough* Sioux couldn't do anything about it. ;):) Rypkema was the only player that seemed to do anything, and his performance was sporadic at best. Lindahl looked like he was running through concrete all night long.

Looks like the Bison took it inside all night long, but the taller and more *cough* talented *cough* Sioux couldn't do anything about it. ;):) Rypkema was the only player that seemed to do anything, and his performance was sporadic at best. Lindahl looked like he was running through concrete all night long.

Better get use to winning a meaningful game, because it will come to an end for the next 10 years.

Looks like the Bison took it inside all night long, but the taller and more *cough* talented *cough* Sioux couldn't do anything about it.  ;)  :) Rypkema was the only player that seemed to do anything, and his performance was sporadic at best. Lindahl looked like he was running through concrete all night long.

Lindahl may not have had a good game last night, and he's not even a true inside player despite his height, but I guarantee that given a choice, any coach in the NCC would take him over any NDSU front court player. Ditto for Rypkema.

I have no problem admitting that NDSU has a better team this year. But before you guys start dusting off the trophy shelf, remember that at 13-7, you still have very little margin for error to even make the post-season, barring an NCC tournament title.

Not a whole lot went the Sioux's way last night. They didn't play good defense, and the Bison didn't cooperate in the 2nd half by missing much of anything. I don't know how Erbes gets his shot off, and taking nothing away from him, but some of his buckets he almost threw up there blindly and they went in. Johnson was way too passive from the outside, passing up wide open jumpers and 3's and instead giving a head fake and trying to get to the hole off the dribble. Jacobsen was nonexistent. Rype was passive as ever and took some terrible shots. The only good thing that came out of the game was Aaron Austin is now hopfully back, as he played great on the offensive end and had some good defensive possessions as well. I hope for a good turnout next week at the REA, as the attendence at the Wooden Bleacher Mecca last night was just over 5000, pretty sad really for a 1st place team in the league against their hated arch rival.

Corella,

The number of UND fans at the game last night was reflected in the attendance numbers. I have never seen so few Sioux fans at a Bison/Sioux event. I would estimate that there was about 40 people in UND apparel, and that's including UND's cheerleaders. Friday night, hockey game, or fighting not to be in last place, whatever the reason, but the Sioux fans weren't there to support their team :)

Corella,

The number of UND fans at the game last night was reflected in the attendance numbers. I have never seen so few Sioux fans at a Bison/Sioux event. I would estimate that there was about 40 people in UND apparel, and that's including UND's cheerleaders. Friday night, hockey game, or fighting not to be in last place, whatever the reason, but the Sioux fans weren't there to support their team  :)

I cannot ever remember a time in the last 10 years when either school has ever brought many more then 700 fans on the road with them though, so that really isn't an issue. There will be at least 8000 at the REA next weekend, no more then 500 of which being Bison fans. On top of that, no UND fan claimed that NDSU didn't bring its normal number to the football game that didn't officially sellout this year, so blaming UND fans for a poor attendence total for this game is a total cop-out. Anyway, there was no student bus organized. The poice that work the games have really been pains in the butt for UND students as well, to the point where 2 years ago a cop tried pulling his gun on a student waving a large UND flag and doing nothing else. I have a huge problem with the seating set-up at the BSA. The parents/family section that the school alots is pathetic, and the sight lines even worse. It is right next to the student section, which stood the entire game and I couldn't see a thing on the Sioux's 2nd half basket the entire night as I was 6 seats to the side of the students. Then there is an enormous leg room problem, midgets would be left cramped in the bleachers let alone your average sized 6-0 male. These things have been problems for a long time, and really need to be addressed before the move to DI otherwise they will become even larger issues.

To even partially blame the relatively paltry crowd in Fargo last night on a lack of UND fans is asinine to say the least. For one thing, there were 11,200-plus at Engelstad last night, so to expect many local people to bypass that in favor of watching a game at the BSA is not exactly realistic. Even though UND is having a very down year in mens basketball, I can virtually guarantee that the crowd next weekend will be in the 7000 to 8000 range, if not higher.

In years past, there have been a lot more UND fans at the BSA for the game. That's all I am stating. I wouldn't be suprised if there were less than 50 total last night. I can nearly guarantee that there will be many more Bison fans making the trip to GF.

Corella,

The seating at the BSA is being taken care of. If you haven't heard, the BSA will be undergoing a major renovation ($18M ?) after this season. It has been the weak link in NDSU's facilities for quite some time, and the admin knows it (it was also brought up in the Carr Report).

In years past, there have been a lot more UND fans at the BSA for the game. That's all I am stating. I wouldn't be suprised if there were less than 50 total last night. I can nearly guarantee that there will be many more Bison fans making the trip to GF.

Corella,

The seating at the BSA is being taken care of. If you haven't heard, the BSA will be undergoing a major renovation ($18M ?) after this season. It has been the weak link in NDSU's facilities for quite some time, and the admin knows it (it was also brought up in the Carr Report).

Moving to DI wouldn't you want to build a larger basketball arena than removating for those times when a "big name" team comes to Fargo?

Bisonguy, 2 things. Not that it really is an issue, but the parents section was 7-8 rows and 19 seats in each row, I know simply because I was row 3 and seat 13, and one of the people who came with me was same row seat 19, the very seat next to the student section. That is about 150 right there, and I know of 14 others who were there, so there was at minimum of 165 fans with almost nothing to cheer about. Also, the seating issue has to be an old thing. I forget about it every year, only to be reminded once I arrive at my seat and sit/stand miserably for 2.5-5 hours. Is there any reason this hasn't been addressed, because it has to be so uncomfortable for everyone. It surprises me that no NDSU people have raised this issue before.

That may very well be so, but how many times has the game gone head-to-head with a home UND hockey game? Not many, I'd guess. And with both games on tv, I would venture to guess that many people chose to flip back and forth. Personally, I will not subject myself to the atmosphere in the BSA for a Sioux-Bison game for anything. I used to go, but never again.