SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Does anyone know how many of the mens basketball players are on a full scholarship? I'm not asking for any names of those on scholarship, but rather if there are ten guys on a full ride, or whether many of the ten scholarships are split up into partials similar to in football.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following should be fairly accurate:

Partial scholarships: Bradley, Dahl, Jahner, Stoute, Jacobson and Wells.

Full or nearly full rides: Johnson, Rypkema, Lindahl, Parks, Nobles, Doyle and Gutter (the latter two being redshirt freshmen). The other two redshirt freshmen (Leikas and Hoy) are walkons. A full ride has been accepted by the Harkins kid from Wisconsin.

I believe Jahner, Stoute and Jacobson are each getting a half scholarship or less. Bradley, Dahl and Wells are getting very little if any assistance.

My best guess is that we have 2 1/2 to 3 full scholarships available yet for next year. We will need them as we lose a lot of players after the 2004-5 season. I guess it isn't quite as bad as it would have been had Parks and Nobles not gotten hurt. If Parks heals up (he knee was really messed up), he will be here another two years. Someone posted earlier that Nobles will not be back this year, I am not sure if this is fact or not. He also may have two years left. The coaching staff is very high on Doyle (also coming off knee surgery) so Nobles return may not be quite as crucial - although we could sure use him this year!

Someone posted earlier that Nobles will not be back this year, I am not sure if this is fact or not.  He also may have two years left.  The coaching staff is very high on Doyle (also coming off knee surgery) so Nobles return may not be quite as crucial - although we could sure use him this year!

Thanks for the info, UND Fan. Regarding Nobles, this was in the Herald last week:

Parks is done for the season after tearing ligaments in his knee Dec. 6. Nobles went down with an injury at Minot State on Nov. 30.

Glas said Nobles likely is done for the season.

UND Fan, by saying Parks might be here two more years, do you mean he would still have two years of eligibility?? I thought he would only have one..

I was told that it isn't too likely that Parks would get another year back from the NCAA for this curent year, therefore would only have a year left after this one. However, there is a slight chance that he may get a semester back ala Tommie King from USD this year. Best case scenario is that Parks plays all of next year and then the 2nd semester of the following year.

Under the circumstances, I'd say that 9-4 has been a major accomplishment. Really, only the Mary game has been a terrible performance and the team isn't too far away from being 12-1 right now. However, I believe SDSU had a similar situation last year to what UND has experienced this year in terms of injuries/illnesses to three of their best players, and they were still able to finish 24-7. My point is that it is still possible to put an NCC champion-type team on the floor even with as many as three starters out for the season. Clearly, we are not close to being an NCC champion this year with only three guys capable of consistently scoring in double figures.

Had we had our full arsenal, with a starting five of Rypkema, Lindahl, Austin, Johnson and Nobles, with Parks adding instant offense off the bench, and Jacobson, Jahner and Bradley also contributing, the team would have been pretty good. Unfortunately, neither of the juco big men have really worked out, so depth in the post was going to be a problem regardless. Hopefully, next year Gutter can be that third big guy that we are lacking right now. We also definitely need to sign another big guy--preferably a high school recruit. I know it's tough to sign a decent big kid out of high school, but we have generally been able to find some good ones like Behrens, Mustard, etc.

Under the circumstances, I'd say that 9-4 has been a major accomplishment. Really, only the Mary game has been a terrible performance and the team isn't too far away from being 12-1 right now. However, I believe SDSU had a similar situation last year to what UND has experienced this year in terms of injuries/illnesses to three of their best players, and they were still able to finish 24-7. My point is that it is still possible to put an NCC champion-type team on the floor even with as many as three starters out for the season. Clearly, we are not close to being an NCC champion this year with only three guys capable of consistently scoring in double figures.

Had we had our full arsenal, with a starting five of Rypkema, Lindahl, Austin, Johnson and Nobles, with Parks adding instant offense off the bench, and Jacobson, Jahner and Bradley also contributing, the team would have been pretty good. Unfortunately, neither of the juco big men have really worked out, so depth in the post was going to be a problem regardless. Hopefully, next year Gutter can be that third big guy that we are lacking right now. We also definitely need to sign another big guy--preferably a high school recruit. I know it's tough to sign a decent big kid out of high school, but we have generally been able to find some good ones like Behrens, Mustard, etc.

On the big-man recruiting end of it, Brett Winkelman out of Morris was in for a visit earlier this year, and everyone is very high on him. He's about 6'7" and is a combo 3/4 guy who St. Cloud, SDSU, UND, NDSU are all going after pretty hard, but he wants DI. He'd be a great get. Something that may have slipped through the cracks is the fact that the younger VerDouw from Bismarck signed early with Augie. I don't think UND showed much interest, but I respect Tom Billiter's (former NDSU coach who made great strides with them) ability to coach and evaluate talent. In any case, either he or UND is wrong about the kid, and VerDouw being from Bismarck, I hope it isn't UND.

On the big-man recruiting end of it, Brett Winkelman out of Morris was in for a visit earlier this year, and everyone is very high on him.  He's about 6'7" and is a combo 3/4 guy who St. Cloud, SDSU, UND, NDSU are all going after pretty hard, but he wants DI.  He'd be a great get.  Something that may have slipped through the cracks is the fact that the younger VerDouw from Bismarck signed early with Augie.  I don't think UND showed much interest, but I respect Tom Billiter's (former NDSU coach who made great strides with them) ability to coach and evaluate talent.  In any case, either he or UND is wrong about the kid, and VerDouw being from Bismarck, I hope it isn't UND.

Regarding VerDouw, I believe his brother was on the team here for a few years. If I remember correctly, he signed about the same time as Jahner. He evidently didn't pan out, but whether that has anything to do with UND not recruiting the younger brother, I don't know.

The UND coaching staff thought the younger VerDoux was going to be a stud. That is part of the reason that actively encouraged the older one to walk on. I don't think there were any hard feelings caused by big brother not making it. My understanding was that the younger one didn't continue his progress and the UND staff lost interest. As was mentioned, I hope we were right, not Billeter!

Winkelman is a dandy, Glas had hoped to sign him early but he decided to wait. At that time, it appeared to be between UND and St. Cloud. But, who knows now. A couple weekends ago, UND had a similar type of player in from WS. He is a friend (different school, same conference) of Daniel Harkins, the recent signee.

Gutter will likely be pretty good but may be a year or two away from being a major contributor. He is somewhat of "a bull in a china shop" right now. A nice problem - if anything, he works too hard!

Regarding Winkelman, here is an article from about three weeks ago regarding his recruitment.

Perhaps the most interesting quote was this:

“I would like to play for a bigger Division I school, but not if it means playing on a losing team,” added Winkelman. “I want to be on a good team.”

Wouldn't that all but eliminate NDSU from consideration?

The Aaron Austin situation is pretty much dealt with and it is a matter of days before he starts up. The holdup is NCAA compliance stuff, and that is getting done. It is a done deal for the most part and he'll be playing the rest of the year. It was hoped he'd be good to go for the SDSU holiday tourney but the compliance situation wasn't completely dealt with. Great news, although it will take a bit for him to gell/get back in the groove. I'd rather go to war with him than without him, though. He is an important component, too, as he adds depth at the 2, the 3, and allows for added depth at the point as MJ and Austin were talked about being moved there in the preseason. Mankato's starting PG who transfered in from U of Ohio (a starter there) quit a few days ago, making them potentially a more vulnerable team. Through all the injuries, things are shaping up for the Sioux to make a run at a top 4 finish, which I think is a definite possibility with the league parity outside of SDSU.

It's great to hear that Austin will be playing. He is a difference-maker. Now, if he can shake off the rust, UND will have a star and three other solid players who can score in double figures most every night. Barring further injuries, that could get the Sioux into the top three or four in the league, and hopefully set the stage for a decent run next season when Parks, Nobles, Harkins, Doyle, Gutter and hopefully Winkelman arrive or return from injuries.

It looks like a very strange NCC schedule this year. With just eight teams in the league, that means that there are just 14 conference games. The first half of the season has UND on the road for five out of the seven games. The good news, of course, is that in the second half of the conference season, five of the seven games are at home.

Far too many turnovers and UND's lack of scoring depth showed itself last night in the loss to Mankato. Lindahl apparently played well, Rypkema was close to his average with 13, and even Jahner of all people scored 10. But nobody else stepped up. It looks like road wins in the NCC will be extremely difficult to come by for the Sioux. Also, it looks like it's going to be awhile until Austin is going to be the player that we know he can be.

The good news is how far Lindahl has progressed from last year to this year. He went from not being able to beat out Josh Johnson--a guy with no offensive game to speak of--to being a legit all-conference caliber player. With two years of eligibility remaining, he is going to be very good.

I would be satisfied with a .500 conference record, getting Austin back into game shape so he can be a 15-20 point a game scorer, continued development of Lindahl and Rypkema, and the addition of one or two other solid contributors in the off-season to go along with Johnson, Parks, Nobles, Doyle, Harkins, possibly Gutter, and whomever else from the current team who can show something the remainder of this season. I think guys like Jacobson, Bradley and Stoute need to step it up if they expect to see any playing time next season. Jacobson and Bradley in particular need to be able to knock down shots, and neither has done so with any consistency this year.

Jacobson in particular needs to step up, as he is more of an all-around player to Bradley's role playing. AJ can really fill 3 spots, everything but the point & center. The thing is that ever since his redshirt FR year at UNI he hasn't been making shots. If I recall correctly he isn't shooting much better then 35% this year and his 3% is much worse. He needs to be a scorer, 8-12 a game, for this team to have a shot in the NCC. He should cause physical mismatches with everyone who guards him because of his ball skills, passing, and size. With his versatility, he is the one the Sioux need to play better because of the options he creates in the lineup when he is on the floor.

I would be satisfied with a .500 conference record...

After being on the short end of a 30-point blowout to a not overly talented team one night removed from a home loss to NDSU, of all teams, it looks like a goal of a .500 conference record may be too high--much too high--for the UND mens team. Pretty pathetic performance last night. With two tough home games coming up next weekend, followed by three more road games, wins next week are imperative.

EDIT:

I spoke with someone who was at the game and he said that the Sioux showed very minimal intensity and just kind of sleep-walked through the game. When you don't have much talent to begin with, you certainly should be willing to at least out-work and out-hustle the opponent, even if ultimately you lose due to the opponent being better than you are. I don't know what to make of this team right now.

I've been really impressed with what I have seen of Mike Gutter on the floor. He is big, strong with the ball, and most of all knows where he scores best. Unlike a lot of big guys who should be on the block but wonder outside, Gutter is a good back to the basket player and works the block very well. At about 6'7" and already 230, he's got the potential to weigh 245-250 as well as enforce and dominate in the paint ala Chris Gardner.

More bad news for the men's team. Wells broke his hand in practice yesterday and will be out at least a month, probably longer. While he wasn't a great player, he was the no. 1 guy off the bench to play underneath. Stoute will obviously get more playing time - and the coaching staff had originally hope to redshirt him this year to give him another year to develop!

UND is now down to only five players who were recruited to play ball for us: Rykema, Johnson, Stoute, Lindahl and Austin. And, Austin is far from being the player he was when he was recruited. All the rest were walk-ons or at least received NO $ to come to UND.

It will likely be a long year!

The BB transfer that UND had hoped to land (he would not have been immediately eligible), did not transfer in. He needs to complete a couple more JC classes before he would be able to transfer anywhere. While it is not a dead deal, it is now less likely he will come to UND.

More bad news for the men's team. Wells broke his hand in practice yesterday and will be out at least a month, probably longer. While he wasn't a great player, he was the no. 1 guy off the bench to play underneath. Stoute will obviously get more playing time - and the coaching staff had originally hope to redshirt him this year to give him another year to develop!

UND is now down to only five players who were recruited to play ball for us: Rykema, Johnson, Stoute, Lindahl and Austin. And, Austin is far from being the player he was when he was recruited. All the rest were walk-ons or at least received NO $ to come to UND.

It will likely be a long year!

Interesting because I was watching when it happened. Wells layed on the floor and held his hand, but no one would've guessed it would be broken. This hurts more than it would seem. Stoute is so strong and physical inside that if he played more then 15 minutes he would probably foul out. It is, once again, another chance for the versatile Jacobson to step up, as he'll get more minutes as the PF tonight, in addition to his time at the 2 and 3.

Heard that Johnson and perhaps others had been sick with the flu earlier last week. That may been a contributor to last week's losses, especially the second game against St. Cloud.