SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

not true about him staying at Green Bay....and yes we will find the money for him....we had 1 or 1.5 fulls left before the year started....just no one left that UND would give a full ride to....so we sat on the scholarship..could turn out to help...and from my source...a close personal friend of Koening's he is giving UND a serious look....he is home sick and doesnt like the school there....all good things for UND and his best buddy plays here now so....there is UND's in for landing him....guess we will have to see how it plays out....like i said before Randall has been known to pull a few rabbits out of the hat...dont be surprised about this magic act either.....

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone heard anything about Jade Jahner, I heard he took a pretty bad tumble at practice yesterday?

Glas said on the coaches' show tonight that Jahner is out. It sounded like he went head-first into the wall of the upstairs gym at Hyslop. It doesn't sound promising that he will return. Dahl, Bradley and possibly Johnson will have to handle the point.

Nobles is practicing but he will not play....otherwise he will lose the year of eligibility.....and yes Jade is not doing very well.....his head is not feeling very well at all!!!! some things are bigger than the games and I hope Jade is ok....he was diving for a loose ball when he went head first into the brick wall....not good at all...

I'm not sure if this is necessarily the best thread for this, but here's an article from the Sioux Falls paper regarding the loss of the SDSU-Augie and USD-SDSU rivalries. I thought it was interesting that the USD a.d. and football coach state that USD-UND could be a good rivalry. I would agree, to an extent, as far as men's basketball goes, as the two programs have had some classic games over the past 12 to 15 years. While the level of rivalry is certainly not the same, I think there have probably been more truly memorable games lately between UND and USD than between UND and NDSU, i.e. last year in Vermillion and the region title game back in about '93. Obviously, there's a huge gap between the two football programs, however, and I would doubt that the football game would be a true rivalry any time soon.

That was a tough loss last night. St. Cloud shot the ball very well, but they are not exactly a well-rounded team in that they don't rebound well--the Sioux dominated the boards--and they have practically nothing in terms of post play, especially offensively. I can deal with allowing Carlson to go off since he's a very good player, but Miller? He was only averaging 12 ppg in the NCC coming into the game, so obviously he doesn't shoot that way very often. Jahner was clearly missed on the defensive end.

It's hard to be too critical, however, when injuries have taken away the top two point guards. Nobody in the league has the depth to be able to withstand that kind of situation very well. Ryp was again solid with 24 points, even though he struggled more than usual from the floor. Lindahl shot very well and scored 26, and Johnson and Austin both played well, also, and scored in double figures. Generally, when you have two guys combine for 50 points, have two others in double figures, and dominate the boards, you're going to win. Unfortunately, St. Cloud just shot the ball very well, or at least two of them did. I'd still rather have a team where you have scoring threats both inside and outside, than a team where your only real chance to win is if your guards are hot from the outside. That doesn't leave much margin for error.

That was a tough loss last night. St. Cloud shot the ball very well, but they are not exactly a well-rounded team in that they don't rebound well--the Sioux dominated the boards--and they have practically nothing in terms of post play, especially offensively. I can deal with allowing Carlson to go off since he's a very good player, but Miller? He was only averaging 12 ppg in the NCC coming into the game, so obviously he doesn't shoot that way very often. Jahner was clearly missed on the defensive end.

It's hard to be too critical, however, when injuries have taken away the top two point guards. Nobody in the league has the depth to be able to withstand that kind of situation very well. Ryp was again solid with 24 points, even though he struggled more than usual from the floor. Lindahl shot very well and scored 26, and Johnson and Austin both played well, also, and scored in double figures. Generally, when you have two guys combine for 50 points, have two others in double figures, and dominate the boards, you're going to win. Unfortunately, St. Cloud just shot the ball very well, or at least two of them did. I'd still rather have a team where you have scoring threats both inside and outside, than a team where your only real chance to win is if your guards are hot from the outside. That doesn't leave much margin for error.

Not only all that, but St Cloud didn't cooperate by missing more then 1 free throw down the stretch, I looked last night and they were 18/20 on free throws (I believe). That made it tough. Aaron Austin is really starting to come around, he hit a couple of big shots. Also, announced attendence of 1900 and a few??? That is once again not even close. I thought that was the largest attendence at Hyslop this year, I'd guess closer to 3500, student section and reserved sections pretty much full, pretty good number in the horseshoe and on the ends. I am really starting to wonder what method, if any, is being used to tally attendence this year, the numbers as of late have been off by the thousands regularily.

So what are the most glaring needs to address so that next year's team can contend for an NCC title?

For one thing, I don't think this year's team had enough outside shooting. With Ryp dominating inside, it should have provided a lot of open shots for the perimeter guys. Lindahl can obviously knock down 3's, and Johnson will generally hit one or two of them per game, but nobody else was able to provide any consistency in that regard. I know Austin has the ability, but he just wasn't ever able to get things rolling. Jacobson also has ability, but must be far more consistent and play up to his ability. I know Doyle was a great shooter in high school, so hopefully he can recover from his injury. It's hard to know whether Parks will be able to recover enough to be an effective player considering the severity of his injury. Nobles should also provide some outside shooting. While there may be enough shooters on the current roster if they all played up to their abilities, I would like to see at least one more player who can be enough of a 3-point shooter to open things up inside.

I'd also like to see another big man to spell Ryp on occasion and who can be a scoring threat while he's in there. Maybe Stoute can improve enough to be that guy, but that's not a certainty. Of course, Koenig would be an ideal candidate if he does indeed transfer. Otherwise, it will probably be necessary to add another transfer. I'm not even sure that he would necessarily need to be 6'8" or taller if he's strong and athletic. A King or a Staten, for example, were obviously able to do very well inside despite only being about 6'5" or 6'6". Finding that kind of a talent may not be realistic, but I'm sure there are juco's or dI transfers out there who can provide some more inside scoring punch.

With a couple of additions, and continued improvement by some of the current players, next year's team has the potential to really do something. UNO and Mankato both return quite a bit, but I see no reason why UND can't win the league next year.

So what are the most glaring needs to address so that next year's team can contend for an NCC title?

For one thing, I don't think this year's team had enough outside shooting. With Ryp dominating inside, it should have provided a lot of open shots for the perimeter guys. Lindahl can obviously knock down 3's, and Johnson will generally hit one or two of them per game, but nobody else was able to provide any consistency in that regard. I know Austin has the ability, but he just wasn't ever able to get things rolling. Jacobson also has ability, but must be far more consistent and play up to his ability. I know Doyle was a great shooter in high school, so hopefully he can recover from his injury. It's hard to know whether Parks will be able to recover enough to be an effective player considering the severity of his injury. Nobles should also provide some outside shooting. While there may be enough shooters on the current roster if they all played up to their abilities, I would like to see at least one more player who can be enough of a 3-point shooter to open things up inside.

I'd also like to see another big man to spell Ryp on occasion and who can be a scoring threat while he's in there. Maybe Stoute can improve enough to be that guy, but that's not a certainty. Of course, Koenig would be an ideal candidate if he does indeed transfer. Otherwise, it will probably be necessary to add another transfer. I'm not even sure that he would necessarily need to be 6'8" or taller if he's strong and athletic. A King or a Staten, for example, were obviously able to do very well inside despite only being about 6'5" or 6'6". Finding that kind of a talent may not be realistic, but I'm sure there are juco's or dI transfers out there who can provide some more inside scoring punch.

With a couple of additions, and continued improvement by some of the current players, next year's team has the potential to really do something. UNO and Mankato both return quite a bit, but I see no reason why UND can't win the league next year.

I don't envy Coach Glas in how he will have to dish out PT next year, top to bottom it WILL BE the most talented team in UND history. Parks will be fine. He is shooting around quite a bit, and whole it will be his mobility that is in question, the guy is an incredible shooter from 15-20 feet out as evidenced by his FG%. Nobles is back, I think he can be counted on for 2 more good years at the point. The possibility for Stoute to redshirt next year is still there, my guess would be that it is up to him whether or not he wants to be at best the 5th big guy next year (Ryp, Lindahl, Wells, Gutter) or improve and get more PT the following year. Conventional wisdom says Austin will resemble more of the Aaron Austin we saw play at UNC a few years ago, whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

There is a JC kid out there being looked a who is absolutely lighting up the scoreboard, whether or not he has the attitude is uncertain. Jacobsen's play has disappointed everyone. He is so indecisive with the ball and simply holds it 23 feet from the basket for no reason. He would seem to be the guy who will lose a chunk of PT next year. Harkins excites me, I hope he can redshirt though. The sight of Ryp and Lindahl with another 5-10 lbs on them makes them even scarier. Another PF/C type who can play right away may be the biggest need right now, while Wellsy is a pretty good defender, he is a black hole offensively who is too weak to play on the block. Next year looks real good with depth, offense, and playmaking. Nobles has to be able to play the tough on-the ball defense at the point UND PGs have always played.

The possibility for Stoute to redshirt next year is still there, my guess would be that it is up to him whether or not he wants to be at best the 5th big guy next year (Ryp, Lindahl, Wells, Gutter) or improve and get more PT the following year.

I would not consider Stoute the 5th best post player. He has more athleticism that Wells will ever have. And Wells is not even a fair defender. The biggest need for the Men's team will be depth at the C/PF position. It might be a good idea for Stoute to redshirt just so he has the chance to get better while not losing eligibility. And have you seen Gutter shoot?:p?? Why he is here I am yet find out. He may bloosm next year we will have to wait and see.

And as far as NCC title for next year, everyone, especially the JCs, will have to learn to play defense for 40 minutes!

I would not consider Stoute the 5th best post player. He has more athleticism that Wells will ever have. And Wells is not even a fair defender. The biggest need for the Men's team will be depth at the C/PF position. It might be a good idea for Stoute to redshirt just so he has the chance to get better while not losing eligibility. And have you seen Gutter shoot?:p?? Why he is here I am yet find out. He may bloosm next year we will have to wait and see.

And as far as NCC title for next year, everyone, especially the JCs, will have to learn to play defense for 40 minutes!

Stoute may be athletic, but that won't get you playing time. He is a foul waiting to happen every second on the court. Offensively, his best move is the right handed forearm to the chest of the defender, which has gotten called on him repeatedly this year, but he got away with it on his dunk this weekend. Gutter may have a 2-handed shot, but it goes in as he works close to the hoop. Nothing is being counted on him for next year, any positive contributions will be icing on the cake.

To be completely honest, I'm not very disappointed in last night's loss, because now this season is mercifully over and the coaches can get out and recruit a couple of more players. The odds of actually having won the NCC tournament to extend the season were pretty unlikely, anyway.

It sounded like last night was a microcosm for the entire season. This year was a series of games where the Sioux played just well enough to lose. I'm not pointing any fingers since we all know there were extenuating circumstances which played a large role in the 14-14 season. But on the other hand, there was enough talent to actually have had a lead late in many games, so I can only assume there should have also been enough talent to hold onto it more often than we did. Even with the key injuries, I think 14-14 is a disappointment. This team still had enough talent to have won at least three or four more games than they did.

The radio broadcast of the game last night was maddening, cutting in and out, so I tried listening to the game on the net, no dice. So I went ot the SDSU webcast. In Coach Nagy's postgame coments he talked about how his team couldn't have played worse and how the Sioux played extremely well. That got me to thinking, what game was he watching? It sounded like the Sioux didn't play well at all. I checked the stats, UND was outrebounded (41-34), had more TO's (15-12), and had a worse shooting % (41.4-38.3). In my book that is the SDSU playing better then the Sioux. I cannot stand it when a coach of a good team plays the propaganda war when his team almost loses to a not so good team, "we didn't play well, they did".

I am not big on blaming referrees for things, bad calls happen, but I was realy confused last night. Ryp and Lindahl both pick up their 4th fouls 5 minutes into the second half with Ryp having 1 at the half and Lindahl having 2. The big guys apparently came out REAL aggresive at halftime. SDSU in the double bonus before the 10:00 mark of the 2nd half? Even the SDSU radio guy talked about the curious calls on the 2 bug guys and MJ early in the 2nd as questionable at best. It was a frustrating game last night.

I listened to Glas on the coaches' show last night, and he said that Ryp, Lindahl and Johnson combined to shoot a little over 50% on the year, but that the rest of the team combined shot well under 40% on the year. He sounded generally pleased with the defensive effort this year, but without question the shooting must be better next year. There was mention by Swyg that the assistants were currently recruiting in Ohio. I can only assume the are looking at junior college players. Glas confirmed what we already knew--that there's not much scholarship money available. However, he did say (although it was tough to hear due to the static) that they hope to sign one "difference-maker."

The Ohio state JC tourney is from March 5-7, so that would make sense. Also, there are 2 scholarships available for next year, so they are not in that great of a pinch money wise.

Of those two scholarships, do you think they'll hold one for awhile in the chance that Koenig is indeed going to transfer? Also, it sounds like Winkelman will announce his decision following the end of Morris's season, which should be within the next couple of weeks. Any rumor as to which way he's leaning?

They have 2 "difference makers" on the bench this year that were injured. Parks and Nobles. The thing that this year points out to me is that the guys that would not have seen the floor this year of all of the JCs had worked out, actually were competitive. They were in a lot of games right to the end. Instead of taking chances on all of the JCs, they should get good young talent and develop it. We will never find another Beasley and should quit trying. UND has not had great luck with transfer players vs the ones who have put in their time and been loyal to the program.

Speaking on Winkelman, I know that the Moen Family brought him up to a UND game last Fall. THe connection may payoff, but the chance to play with former AAU teammates may be too much to pass up at NDSU, that is if he got along with them. Ya never know, could be bad chemistry. I would rather UND give a guy like this a full ride than wait too see who is available from JuCo over the summer.