SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's Basketball

UND Fan

Many on this thread have expressed their concern about the UND BB program and Coach Glas. I am not asking for your opinion but, for those of you who live in GF or ND, how much unrest is their among local UND fans, Fighting Sioux Club members, GF businesspeople, etc.? Is there a lot of talk about it?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunther moved into an Asst AD job at the suggestion of AD Wanless. I do not know how "strong" of a suggestion it was but it was a correct decision. Dave was an outstanding coach and a great guy who represented UND extremely well. But it was time for a change. His stoic, structured approach was not working nearly as well with the "new age" athlete so he was starting to have difficulties recruiting, relating to the kids, etc. - hence his success was affected.

Great win tonight over a team that was ranked #3 in the country in pre-season polls. The first half was very well played by UND and they worked USD's zone over pretty well. The 2nd half was pretty slow offensively. You gotta hate Josh Mueller, he whines about every single call. I thought the officiating was mediocre at best. Pretty impressive win though, especially considering UND really put an iron 6 on the floor.

I thought Mueller was terrible last night. Actually, he's looked pretty worthless the last two times USD has come to Grand Forks. He insisted on taking the ball inside on several occasions only to get his shot blocked. Probably not too surprising since he's about 5'11" with what appears to be about a 2" vertical.

How's this for a slump: USD has now lost eight straight against NCC opponents going back to last year. They dropped their last four conference games of the 2002-03 season, lost in the first round of the NCC tournament, and are now 0-3 in the conference this year.

As for the Sioux, is Lindahl the most improved player in the league or what? 26 points, 16 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals. He's gone from averaging under 5 points per game last year to 15 per game this year. Plus he's become a pretty effective rebounder as witnessed by last night's game.

Last night's loss was very disappointing since the Sioux led for most of the game, and I don't think UNO is as good of a team as their athletic ability suggests that they should be. It really hurts that we allowed Tola Dada to score 20 points considering he has, bar none, the ugliest looking shot in basketball history. For those who haven't seen him play, he shoots a bizarre looking set shot that you don't even realize is a shot at first because it more closely resembles a pass. Where he learned to shoot that way, I'll never know. I doubt he'll ever hit three 3-pointers in a game again, but he managed to do so last night.

On the bright side, Lindahl was again outstanding. He's now the leading scorer AND rebounder in the NCC through four conference games. Johnson was also very good, and Stoute played some outstanding minutes. He probably should have played more than he did in the second half since Ryp was struggling.

Considering how balanced--and in my opinion mediocre--the NCC is this year, it is very unfortunate that UND doesn't have Parks and Nobles. I really think that the Sioux would have been right in the mix of things. But without another scorer (Parks) and a good point guard (Nobles), we're a little out-manned in most games. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that will we return virtually everybody next season, as well as getting back Parks and Nobles, and adding this year's red-shirts and Harkins. Knock on wood, depth and having too few scorers won't be an issue next year.

This weekend was great progress over the previous weekends performance, that is what I can take from it. Last night MJ really tried to take a step up in the 2nd half and was great. After Rype picked up his 2nd foul he lost any aggressiveness that he had for the entire game, and actually hurt us more then he helped on the defensive boards. Stoute played really well last night, surprising even the coaches. The Sioux need him to perform like he did last night every night, 4-6 pts, 3-4 boards, and physical aggressive play on both ends. Jacobson still needs to step-up. He is a talented guy, the kind of athlete every college coach in the country is looking for, versatile, long, and lean. He is way too indecisive with the ball, and simply holds it too long. He has proven to be tough to stop when going to the hole, but only doe it 2-3 times a game. Lindahl is an unbelievable shooter. Rarely when he makes a shot does it hit the rim, and his efforts on the boards in NCC play have been a pleasant surprise. With God knows what going on in Brookings, the Sioux have a legit shot at taking 2 next weekend. I suspect that on Fri, SDSU will either absolutely bury UND or lay down and get beat by 20. Billeter is a good coach, so he makes Augie a difficult opponent, but certainly beatable. Just a few observations.

UND looked at both kids and was interested in Lunde (as a project). They felt he may or may not make a good DII ballplayer. They weren't confident enough to offer him much $. I understand that SU offered significantly more than UND was prepared to gamble.

UND looked at both kids and was interested in Lunde (as a project).  They felt he may or may not make a good DII ballplayer.  They weren't confident enough to offer him much $.  I understand that SU offered significantly more than UND was prepared to gamble.

I kind of figured maybe UND didn't recruit Lunde all that hard since the Forum reported that he chose NDSU over Northern St. No offense to Northern, and I'm not trying to rip NDSU, but it would seem that if Lunde was really a high caliber recruit, he probably would have had a better program than Northern as his runner-up. But then again, who knows, maybe he'll develop into a good college player.

I tried to be "politically correct" in my assessment of Lunde so NDSU fans can't come back in a year or so to remind me of my comments. Who knows, he could become a very good ballplayer - you can't teach height!! But I know many (not just the UND coaching staff) who feel he will have a tough time playing DI ball.

UND went after Moorman. The Bison have some things working in their favor in Dickinson. Lunde is an interesting kid. He is very big, but tends to play about 65% on the perimeter, ala Lindahl, but isn't as polished as Lindahl was at the same stage. Lunde could be very good, and could be a good get for the Bison because of their lack of size since almost the Reagan administration. If he is an above average player, you have a 6-10 PF with skills, if he doesn't develop, there is some size to stick in the lane.

Some more Info on Lunde. Minnesota Basketball News had Lunde rated in the top 100 overall in Minnesota. Rivals has Lunde at #22. He had a 32 point 22 rebound game against the 6-11 center from DGF. Don't know much about the 6-11 player. Lunde has played some good competition in High School. Litchfield to name one and recently scoring 17 points against a good Hopkins team.

UND went after Moorman.  The Bison have some things working in their favor in Dickinson.  Lunde is an interesting kid.  He is very big, but tends to play about 65% on the perimeter, ala Lindahl, but isn't as polished as Lindahl was at the same stage.  Lunde could be very good, and could be a good get for the Bison because of their lack of size since almost the Reagan administration.  If he is an above average player, you have a 6-10 PF with skills, if he doesn't develop, there is some size to stick in the lane.

I respect your opinion, Corella, and again I'm not trying to bash the kid especially considering I've never seen him play, but I'm just curious whether there were other prominent midwestern basketball schools who were after the kid and if not, why not? If he had been offered by SDSU, SCSU, USD, UND, etc. but had chosen NDSU, that would be one thing, but I guess I just can't get past the fact that Northern St. was his other finalist. They have had some success over the years, but usually it seems to be with guys NCC schools weren't all that interested in.

Another factor when you look at the Lunde situation from NDSU's and UND's perspective. SU has five seniors and, therefore, has quite a bit of scholarship $ available plus I suppose they have another DI scholarship available. UND only has Jahner and Dahl who are getting less than 1/2 of a scholarship between them. It is much easier for SU to "gamble" with some scholarship $ than UND. And, it probably is a pretty decent gamble. It is tough to find height up there and he may turn out to be a contributor. Plus, I am sure that didn't invest a full ride in him.

That being said, I also believe the fact that Northern was the other option tells you something - he is likely a long shot.

Another factor when you look at the Lunde situation from NDSU's and UND's perspective. SU has five seniors and, therefore, has quite a bit of scholarship $ available plus I suppose they have another DI scholarship available. UND only has Jahner and Dahl who are getting less than 1/2 of a scholarship between them. It is much easier for SU to "gamble" with some scholarship $ than UND. And, it probably is a pretty decent gamble. It is tough to find height up there and he may turn out to be a contributor. Plus, I am sure that didn't invest a full ride in him.

That being said, I also believe the fact that Northern was the other option tells you something - he is likely a long shot.

Can you give partial scholarships in DI basketball. I know you can't in DI football (well you can, but it counts as a full ride). If the Bison fund all basketball scholarships right away that would give us three extra (13 for DI vs. 10 for D2) plus all the scholarship money we're losing with the seniors. I imagine the only thing keeping us from having a really big recruiting class is the 5/8 rule.

...the Sioux didn't know what they were getting with Rype, and there aren't very many C's in the NCC I'd rather have then him.

I agree that Rypkema was viewed as a project coming out of high school, although it seems strange in retrospect that he wasn't more highly sought-after since 6'11" guys with coordination and who averaged 22 pts and 12 boards a game in a pretty good basketball state (Wisconsin) are tough to find.

I agree that Rypkema was viewed as a project coming out of high school, although it seems strange in retrospect that he wasn't more highly sought-after since 6'11" guys with coordination and who averaged 22 pts and 12 boards a game in a pretty good basketball state (Wisconsin) are tough to find.

so what was the deal with him anyways. Why wasn't he more recruited? any answers or guesses?