SiouxSports.com Forum

Other Game Score Updates (Feb 20/21)

brianvf

Couldn't agree more. Can't get those bounces we got earlier in the season...combine that with horrendous D from Fischer last night, Wehrs being a traffic cone, Schroeder getting the boot early, and we had no chance. Another horrible loss that might have just ended our season.

Oh, that's a shame.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. Can't get those bounces we got earlier in the season...combine that with horrendous D from Fischer last night, Wehrs being a traffic cone, Schroeder getting the boot early, and we had no chance. Another horrible loss that might have just ended our season.

I have to admit that I am cool with the Goofs being done.

All that talent going nowhere, so what is the problem? Is it the coaching, because there have certainly been some key personnel changes that might suggest that the good ship Lucia is floundering near the rocks and has sprung some serious leaks. Now that the good times at Blarneys have been taken away, have the players switched to other substances to get their buzz?

how can you say you had no chance afterall that went on you were still tied with under 5 play with a chance to win?

I have to admit that I am cool with the Goofs being done.

if they lose tonight it could be the beginning of that but a win tonight props them back on the inner bubble maybe as they are a little outer right now. i hope they lose every game til the season ends :silly:

how can you say you had no chance afterall that went on you were still tied with under 5 play with a chance to win?

Because, with the Gopher D being as bad as it is, the only reason why CC didn't win in regulation was that they lacked a finisher.

Sioux-Hab-It: I think it is part coaching, but Guentzel's departure really doesn't indicate something is wrong. For all we know, Guentzel left because Lucia didn't want to recruit his son and Guentzel wanted to be close to his son while he was in college. Who knows, really. UW had some departures in the past coaching wise, including the goaltending coach this year. However, that doesn't seem to affect UW. The fact is, the college game is changing. I really believe that the WCHA is becoming more of a defensive league for a variety or reasons. When that is the case, you have to recruit accordingly. This is something UND has done very well on average historically. Lucia's recruiting focuses on offensive aspects to the game and relies upon clogging up the passing lanes and good goaltending to cover for any other defensive lapses. If you play physical and are able to get decent passing, the rest seems to fall into place for their opponent.

That being said, I wonder if CC can put together a sweep of a team like Minnesota. They haven't this year really.

I would not be surprised in the slightest to see Minnesota win today.

Because, with the Gopher D being as bad as it is, the only reason why CC didn't win in regulation was that they lacked a finisher.

Sioux-Hab-It: I think it is part coaching, but Guentzel's departure really doesn't indicate something is wrong. For all we know, Guentzel left because Lucia didn't want to recruit his son and Guentzel wanted to be close to his son while he was in college. Who knows, really. UW had some departures in the past coaching wise, including the goaltending coach this year. However, that doesn't seem to affect UW. The fact is, the college game is changing. I really believe that the WCHA is becoming more of a defensive league for a variety or reasons. When that is the case, you have to recruit accordingly. This is something UND has done very well on average historically. Lucia's recruiting focuses on offensive aspects to the game and relies upon clogging up the passing lanes and good goaltending to cover for any other defensive lapses. If you play physical and are able to get decent passing, the rest seems to fall into place for their opponent.

That being said, I wonder if CC can put together a sweep of a team like Minnesota. They haven't this year really.

As much as it pains me to say I wouldn't mind seeing cc lose tonight as we play them next week. I don't want them coming in with a load of momentum(5 game unbeaten streak) as we will be coming back from anchorage and the track record of teams coming back from anchorage is not good especially the first game back.

As much as it pains me to say I wouldn't mind seeing cc lose tonight as we play them next week. I don't want them coming in with a load of momentum(5 game unbeaten streak) as we will be coming back from anchorage and the track record of teams coming back from anchorage is not good especially the first game back.

i dont think it matters :lol: either way we will sweep them :silly: go sioux

go cc

go uw

tonight

Had the gopher game on at times tonight. Fisher had huge giveaways on D. Kangas was left hungout to dry, but it seems if you go high on him, you have great odds. The gophers just can't buy a win right now.

oh and i figured out why lucia was pissed after the game , the gophs are 1-5-1 in their last 7 games and about to be 1-6-1 after tonight :silly:

With Mike Guentzel gone, there is no one on the Gopher staff that wore the "M."

Contrast that with UND. The Sioux staff can speak personally to the history and traditions of the program.

It's "family" at UND. That's not the case at UMTC - I know several ex-players disappointed that Guentzel is gone, among other things.

Both programs get talented players - UMTC maybe more. I don't think there is any question which progam gets the gritty players who will do the dirty work for the stars.

The gophers have been struggling and no one enjoys that more than I do, but there's a whole lot of "overrated" chanting going on here and the game isn't over if you know what I mean.

Um yeah. No kidding.

All anyone has to do is get a little hot at the end of the season here folks. Win the Final Five, get the auto-bid and win your last four. That's all it takes to hang a banner.

Minnesota has scads of talent; it is way, way too early to be counting them out yet.

Um yeah. No kidding.

All anyone has to do is get a little hot at the end of the season here folks. Win the Final Five, get the auto-bid and win your last four. That's all it takes to hang a banner.

Minnesota has scads of talent; it is way, way too early to be counting them out yet.

without a doubt!! i dont know what the deal if its mid judging talent or what as they have 3 or 4 top end guys who were suppose to be great but have struggled. all it takes is a few games but the 1-5-1 in last 7 is beyond bad and its shown as they were 4 in the pairwise i believe arond the sioux series. the D is awful, no grit and not even close to anything with toughness and kangas has suffered from that and has taken a step back himself.

go sioux

Um yeah. No kidding.

absolutely, they were in about this same position last year and played well down the stretch. their schedule is very favorable to them:

tonight at cc

next week duluth at home

following week tech at home

they could go 3-2 or 4-1 get home ice and then anything can happen.

absolutely, they were in about this same position last year and played well down the stretch. their schedule is very favorable to them:

tonight at cc

next week duluth at home

following week tech at home

they could go 3-2 or 4-1 get home ice and then anything can happen.

3-2 with a sweep of tech and loss tonight and split with umd

book it and it still wont be enough for home ice - and this is with the sioux winning tonight and sltting final 2 series, du losing tonight then 3 of 4 vs scsu and beating cc

my final what ifs

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/

WCHA Final

Team GP Pts

UND 28 37

Denver 28 36

UW 28 34

UMD 28 32

CC 28 31

UMN 28 30

SCSU 28 28

Mankato 28 24

AA 28 20

MTech 28 8

Speaking of what if, Minnesota can still win the Macnaughton if they run the table AND a lot of other plausible things happen (UND splits at UW, etc etc).

Or, they could finish 8th.

Personally, I'd be happy going into Madison in a scenario where the Badgers were eliminated. Getting a split in that building with the title on the line could be really difficult.