SiouxSports.com Forum

So is Fargo now officially a Hockey Town?

star2city

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reason actually made more sense than any I've heard....but if you're living in Fargo, or anywhere in the region, you already know what Sioux/college hockey is about. USD or SDSU would be a better place to try and grow the game for sure.

Both NDSU and UND have a football team, correct?

Yep. But each team has had their own unique and accomplished histories. Also, College football isn't a sport in need of growth in any area within the US, as far as I know.

USF has done well in football without a "history". I know you're going to say because they're in football talent rich Flordia. NDSU is close to talent rich MN and ND!

No reason NDSU couldn't do as well as Saint Cloud or Mankato in hockey.

USF has done well in football without a "history". I know you're going to say because they're in football talent rich Flordia. NDSU is close to talent rich MN and ND!

St. Cloud style is perfect for them! They are experienced when it comes to playing St. Cloud style playoffs!!! :D

Football is a totally different animal than hockey. Football is more popular across the country by about tenfold, especially in the south. There's a reason the NFL, NCAA, and high school football is as popular as it is from coast to coast and border to border. Building a program and relying on fans is not as extreme as it is in hockey. Also, I never said NDSU couldn't be as succesful as Mankato or St. Cloud. But the apparent "want" of a hockey team at NDSU isn't there within the Bison faithful on a scale that's necessary for developing a program. It's mostly people outside of NDSU.

Just because they can (IF they can), doesn't mean they should.

Thru this past weekends home stand SU MBB is avergaong 3807 in attendence. Haven't gone to a SU MBB game this year but am making my visit to the UPC on Sat. to watch the Force.

The question is - Would you still be going to the Force game if they played in a uncomfortable and run-down 40 year-old building?

The question is - Would you still be going to the Force game if they played in a uncomfortable and run-down 40 year-old building?

No and I wouldn't go Sat. if the tickets weren't given to me by a buddy.

St. Cloud style is perfect for them! They are experienced when it comes to playing St. Cloud style playoffs!!! :lol:

Point being that NDSU would do fine in the WCHA.

No, the point being SCSU is literally "Zero for the NCAA tournament".

I believe that translates to seven opening round game defeats to date.

(EDIT: Now that I think about it, didn't SCSU win an NCAA tourney game recently?)

I knew only hockey fans would really understand the dig there.

As far as UP Center:

I'm running under the same rules as when junior league games were played in the Fargo Mauseleum, er, Coliseum, namely, only when there's a UND recruit on the visiting roster (and there's no Sioux game in Grand Forks to attend).

Football is a totally different animal than hockey. Football is more popular across the country by about tenfold, especially in the south. There's a reason the NFL, NCAA, and high school football is as popular as it is from coast to coast and border to border. Building a program and relying on fans is not as extreme as it is in hockey. Also, I never said NDSU couldn't be as succesful as Mankato or St. Cloud. But the apparent "want" of a hockey team at NDSU isn't there within the Bison faithful on a scale that's necessary for developing a program. It's mostly people outside of NDSU.

Just because they can (IF they can), doesn't mean they should.

Don't be rediculous, of course we should take advantage of the situation.

New Fargodome arena could easily be made to support hockey and WCHA expanding.

Simple matter of leadership on the issue.

Don't be rediculous, of course we should take advantage of the situation.

New Fargodome arena could easily be made to support hockey and WCHA expanding.

Simple matter of leadership on the issue.

A quality NDSU education I see...

Again...just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I'm going to change my stance on the issue. I hope they do add hockey. Then, they can join some crappy conference (why would the WCHA want them?) and fail miserably financially.

A quality NDSU education I see...

Again...just because they can, doesn't mean they should. I'm going to change my stance on the issue. I hope they do add hockey. Then, they can join some crappy conference (why would the WCHA want them?) and fail miserably financially.

NDSU should only add hockey to get into the WCHA.

WCHA would add them with Bemidji considering the new Fargodome arena.

Multipurpose facility for NDSU, that could support hockey, and BB.

Lemme think ... when've I heard that one ...

Oh, yeah, ... 2005, ... 2000 ... 1991-ish (called Fargodome) ...

The political repercussions of adding hockey capability to any Fargodome addition (post- UP Center) would be great theatre to observe.

The political repercussions of adding hockey capability to any Fargodome addition (post- UP Center) would be great theatre to observe.

Every modern era NBA arena has the floor space for ice events. They use expanded seating to accomidate bball set up.

I see no reason why the new Fargodome arena wouldn't be able to support ice events.

6500 seat hockey and bball arena attached to the Fargodome, on NDSU's campus sounds like the perfect set up to start a hockey program and something the WCHA would consider.

No kidding. There would be a political and media feeding frenzy down here if that were to be brought up. I don't know what Mpls has against the UP. Sure it's a distance from campus, but it's the perfect size for the first several years of DI hockey(not going to happen, but if it were) and it's designed principally for hockey. I guess he just doesn't understand that combo BB/hockey facilities under 10,000 seats just don't work. You either end up with a facility that's good for one and crappy for the other, or a facility that's lousy for both. Even the REA at 11,000 isn't a great BB facility; it works, but it's not a first choice. The NBA/NHL arenas work because of their size. The best combo college facility I can think of is Wisconsin's Kohl Center and it's much bigger(X+) than anything NDSU would need and they also dumped a ton of money into it to make it good for both(hydraulically adjustable lower stands). Adding ice capabilities to the FD Arena project is one of the dumbest things Mpls has latched onto so far in 2009.

No kidding. There would be a political and media feeding frenzy down here if that were to be brought up. I don't know what Mpls has against the UP. Sure it's a distance from campus, but it's the perfect size for the first several years of DI hockey(not going to happen, but if it were) and it's designed principally for hockey. I guess he just doesn't understand that combo BB/hockey facilities under 10,000 seats just don't work. You either end up with a facility that's good for one and crappy for the other, or a facility that's lousy for both. Even the REA at 11,000 isn't a great BB facility; it works, but it's not a first choice. The NBA/NHL arenas work because of their size. The best combo college facility I can think of is Wisconsin's Kohl Center and it's much bigger(X+) than anything NDSU would need and they also dumped a ton of money into it to make it good for both(hydraulically adjustable lower stands). Adding ice capabilities to the FD Arena project is one of the dumbest things Mpls has latched onto so far in 2009.

You're telling me if the Fargodome built the lower bowl of the target center as the new arena, that wouldn't work for bball or hockey? BS.

The Kohl center is crap for hockey. When seated in sides of the upper level, beyond the first couple, three rows, your view of the near boards is nonexistent. Obviously designed for that diversion for those with overactive pituitary glands.

A little history lesson. The only reason "pipes" were added to the FD was as a backup in case the predicted event days didn't pan out. Then hockey could be added. Since the FD has never had a problem with event days and is highly sucessful hockey was never added. The FD is now all paid off and more than paying it's way. It's doing exactly what it was designed for. Adding hockey would be a money loser for the FD because of all the event days taken away, it will never happen - ever.

A little history lesson. The only reason "pipes" were added to the FD was as a backup in case the predicted event days didn't pan out. Then hockey could be added. Since the FD has never had a problem with event days and is highly sucessful hockey was never added. The FD is now all paid off and more than paying it's way. It's doing exactly what it was designed for. Adding hockey would be a money loser for the FD because of all the event days taken away, it will never happen - ever.

We're talking about making the arena expansion capable of hosting hockey games.