SiouxSports.com Forum

So is Fargo now officially a Hockey Town?

star2city

From all accounts, NDSU lost interest in DI hockey once they made the decision to go DI in all sports. I've seen nothing from anyone to indicate there is even an inkling of interest from NDSU in adding DI hockey. Title IX would make it almost impossible anyway.

Having said that, the fact that they've not had DI hockey would not exclude them from consideration. I doubt it would get instant acceptance on Year 1, but it could get some sort of delayed entrance. The league would likely look at geography, facilities, the community, the institutional support, etc. NDSU, if they truly wanted DI hockey, would be as good or better in those areas than anyone else we've talked about applying. One consideration that is not often openly discussed is the "name brand" the school brings to the table. Do you think if, for example, a Big 12 team like Iowa State decided to add DI hockey, that the WCHA wouldn't be interested just because it had never played DI hockey before? Of course not. If a school like Iowa State added Division I hockey right now and applied to the WCHA, they'd pretty much be a shoe-in for the 12th team. I'm not saying NDSU has the same "name brand" as a Big 12 school, but it's better than anyone else that we've been talking about as possible WCHA applicants. The bottom line is that if NDSU was willing to make a commitment to DI hockey and applied to the WCHA right now, they'd get serious consideration.

And Mpls...why the hang-up on the Fargodome Arena being the home? The UP Center would be just fine. Off the top of my head, there are three WCHA teams that play off-campus and do just fine (UMD, Mankato, and Colorado College...I think UAA plays off campus as well).

But like I said, there's no chance NDSU will apply, so it's a moot point. Still fun to talk about though....

All of those schools would play games in a new, on campus arena that seats ~6000, don't you think?

If the UP was the only possible option, then I wouldn't care. But the new arena certainly could support ice events and it would be foolish not to take advantage of that if they were going to add the team.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know what...let's make these USF/NDSU comparisons....

USF plays all their home games in an NFL stadium. This is a great recruiting tool for not only players, but for trying to get into a big time conference. NDSU plays in nothing as of right now. The UPC is no where near being even comparable to something like that. Even if NDSU had something like what UNO had it would help. The UPC could work out for the short term, and you have these big dreams about the FD hosting hockey (and still fail to address serious issues brought up with that).

OK, let's say the FD gets the go ahead to add hockey capabilities. Since you're in love with USF and comparing them to NDSU....don't you think NDSU should have to pay their dues in a lower ranking division or as an independent...or maybe just not being able to play in the NCAA tourney for something like 3-4 years once off the ground? This would be an awesome way to kill NDSU hockey before it even started. This isn't my idea on what should happen, I'm just trying to speculate and play devil's advocate since you want to compare NDSU to USF so much.

USF isn't the rule...it's the exception. They did everything the right away and are privilaged to play a sport that is about ten times more popular than hockey, easier to grow a fan base, and have the opportunity to play their home games in an NFL stadium....which happens to be the biggest stadium that anyone in the Big East plays in. They paid their dues as a D1-AA independent, then as a D1-A independent, and proved they could play Big East football before the Big East gave them a chance. They didn't just plan all this assuming the Big East was going to add them. If the Big East didn't lose teams like Miami, Boston College, and Virginia Tech, USF would not have this opportunity.

If a Big Ten conference ever formed, I think this would provide the best opportunity for a school like NDSU to join college hockey and gain approval from the WCHA. But with no room or poor location to all five college hockey conferences added to the fact they don't have good place to play/practice and have never played one game of D1 hockey just doesn't seem reasonable to assume the WCHA is all for adding NDSU.

It seems as if you are trying to assume I'm unducated about what you are trying to sell me, but it's not going to work. You are just making yourself look dumber each and every post. This is not a bash, just the truth. "Thou shall not lie."

Your only feeble attempt to keep NDSU out of the WCHA is to say that they don't have the "hockey history" that somehow qualifies a team to be allowed into the WCHA.

I completely debunked this with the USF into the Big East example.

Now you're talking about USF playing in an NFL stadium? Non sequitor. I used the example for one specific point of debunking. It serves no other relevence.

Your only feeble attempt to keep NDSU out of the WCHA is to say that they don't have the "hockey history" that somehow qualifies a team to be allowed into the WCHA.

I completely debunked this with the USF into the Big East example.

Now you're talking about USF playing in an NFL stadium? Non sequitor. I used the example for one specific point of debunking. It serves no other relevence.

You're trying to tell me how successful USF is in the Big East and comparing that to NDSU joining the WCHA...but you only want to use a single statement to promote your point, but not consider any other from the same subject matter? It's impossible to argue with someone like you when you are so tunnel-visioned. If you want to use USF as a comparison to NDSU joining the WCHA, you have to compare each and every factor. The Big East wasn't waiting forever for that miraculous day that USF decided to field a football team because they knew USF would be successful. USF paid their dues and in a way, got lucky (please read previous post). They are successful for reasons that you fail to list or acknowledge when it comes to the discussion we are currently taking part in relating to NDSU and hockey.

If you think all I mention is the lack of history at NDSU for being the sole reason you are obviously not reading my posts. There are a multitude of items I listed. Also, the lack of history point I made is being taken out of context by you and has little to do with how NDSU doesn't have banners hanging from a rink somewhere in Fargo, and more to do with a plethora of other matters that I already listed in my previous posts, so I'm not going to waste my team restating them.

Kids, if you want to work on the farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND.

You're trying to tell me how successful USF is in the Big East and comparing that to NDSU joining the WCHA...but you only want to use a single statement to promote your point, but not consider any other from the same subject matter? It's impossible to argue with someone like you when you are so tunnel-visioned. If you want to use USF as a comparison to NDSU joining the WCHA, you have to compare each and every factor. The Big East wasn't waiting forever for that miraculous day that USF decided to field a football team because they knew USF would be successful. USF paid their dues and in a way, got lucky (please read previous post). They are successful for reasons that you fail to list or acknowledge when it comes to the discussion we are currently taking part in relating to NDSU and hockey.

If you think all I mention is the lack of history at NDSU for being the sole reason you are obviously not reading my posts. There are a multitude of items I listed. Also, the lack of history point I made is being taken out of context by you and has little to do with how NDSU doesn't have banners hanging from a rink somewhere in Fargo, and more to do with a plethora of other matters that I already listed in my previous posts, so I'm not going to waste my team restating them.

Kids, if you want to work on the farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND.

None of your other reasons made any sense at all considering that the WCHA is willing to add Bemidji, who is excited about the possibility of a new 4000 seat event center.

And NDSU now has a business college. So there's no reason to all the way up to Grand Forks if you want to own a farm.

None of your other reasons made any sense at all considering that the WCHA is willing to add Bemidji, who is excited about the possibility of a new 4000 seat event center.

And NDSU now has a business college. So there's no reason to all the way up to Grand Forks if you want to own a farm.

Again, you fail to realize the importance of having BSU in the WCHA. Please go back and re-read my posts. Adding BSU has nothing to do with adding them just for fun. I covered the stance of the WCHA and BSU already. So, my conclusion is, either you don't read what I write, or you can't understand plain English.

Kids, if you want to own the farm, you apparently can go to NDSU or UND. If you want to increase your chances of owning the farm and not working on it, go to UND since you will get a better education in grammar. You will learn complete sentences that actually make sense (see bolded). Grammar is very important in getting a job that doesn't involve microwaving burgers at your local McDonald's.

Again, you fail to realize the importance of having BSU in the WCHA. Please go back and re-read my posts. Adding BSU has nothing to do with adding them just for fun. I covered the stance of the WCHA and BSU already. So, my conclusion is, either you don't read what I write, or you can't understand plain English.

Kids, if you want to own the farm, you apparently can go to NDSU or UND. If you want to increase your chances of owning the farm and not working on it, go to UND since you will get a better education in grammar. You will learn complete sentences that actually make sense (see bolded). Grammar is very important in getting a job that doesn't involve microwaving burgers at your local McDonald's.

Your stance was that the WCHA should add BSU so that the program doesn't die and thus so that the NCAA tournament can stay at 16 teams.

Adding NDSU does the same thing. In fact, even better as it would promote the growth of a new program. Likely NDSU would not consider a program outside the WCHA.

Your stance was that the WCHA should add BSU so that the program doesn't die and thus so that the NCAA tournament can stay at 16 teams.

Adding NDSU does the same thing. In fact, even better as it would promote the growth of a new program. Likely NDSU would not consider a program outside the WCHA.

OK, I see and understand your point. But the problem is there's no room for another team right now with the folding of the CHA. With the CHA, it might have been more feasible.

Here's where it stands right now.

-WCHA has 10 teams with room for only 12.

-CCHA has 12 teams already and is full.

-There are 2 teams remaining from the CHA that need a new conference affiliation.

-A 12 team max is not a rule, but it makes scheduling too difficult and too watered down when there are more than 12 in a conference.

So...assuming that BSU gets into the WCHA, to make an 11 team conference, that leaves UAH. Where does UAH go? The CCHA is the best fit. Hopefully the CCHA will do their part by taking them in (like we are for BSU), and hopefully a CCHA team is willing to make the switch to the WCHA (I don't see that being too big of a problem). If that's the case, both conferences still stand at 12 teams. That leaves no room for NDSU. If NDSU were a Big Ten or Big 12 team or something looking to join hockey and need a conference, I think every hockey conference would be more open to them joining and finding a way to make it work. I don't think that'd be the case for NDSU.

There's simply no room for them right now, unless UAH finds a home not named the WCHA or CCHA.

Alabama has a hockey team? Is this some kind of joke?

Well, whatever, I won't question it.

In your scenario, I agree with you. In fact, it makes sense to have UAA and UAF in the same conference.

I do firmly believe that NDSU would not consider adding a hockey team unless it could be in the WCHA. Maybe we'll get lucky and UAH will fold their program.

Alabama has a hockey team? Is this some kind of joke?

Well, whatever, I won't question it.

In your scenario, I agree with you. In fact, it makes sense to have UAA and UAF in the same conference.

I do firmly believe that NDSU would not consider adding a hockey team unless it could be in the WCHA. Maybe we'll get lucky and UAH will fold their program.

Now we're getting somewhere. :angry:

UAF and UAA in the same conference looks good until you realize that traveling costs for some teams having to travel to Alaska twice would stink and not be reasonable. That's the reason they aren't in the same conference now. One way it could work is if you do a scheduling system, where you play each team once per season, except a designated "rival" team that you'd play twice. That gives you 24 conference games in a 12 team conference, which is a pretty low amount, but keeps it fair. UAF and UAA could be rival teams for each other, and every other league team could alternate which team they play in Alaska each year. I don't see this happening, but it's a thought.

Good grief. The WCHA would add NDSU and Bemidji in a heart beat.

I think the WCHA would add NDSU IF they had a program in place. I don't even like talking about this because it pi$$e$ me off that they don't have DI hockey, and how many chances/times have they talked about doing it? Now that the WCHA has lifted it's moritorium on expansion, they'll let Bemidiji in, and one other school that has a program into the league ASAP. They won't wait for SU to get a program going. SU missed it's chance. It'll be 25 years now if ever for SU to get DI hockey. They have no reason in the immediate future to get DI hockey now that the WCHA is expanding. SU missed the boat by at least 5 years on this one.

I think the WCHA would add NDSU IF they had a program in place. I don't even like talking about this because it pi$$e$ me off that they don't have DI hockey, and how many chances/times have they talked about doing it? Now that the WCHA has lifted it's moritorium on expansion, they'll let Bemidiji in, and one other school that has a program into the league ASAP. They won't wait for SU to get a program going. SU missed it's chance. It'll be 25 years now if ever for SU to get DI hockey. They have no reason in the immediate future to get DI hockey now that the WCHA is expanding. SU missed the boat by at least 5 years on this one.

NDSU tried a push at college hockey several years ago and it didnt' work out. So they decided to go DI in all sports instead. I'm sure the vast majority of their fan base is happy with how it turned out and wouldn't trade it for college hockey. Maybe they can someday have both, but that day is not in the foreseeable future as far as I can tell.

I look at it more like this is college hockey's fault for creating five bloated conferences rather than six smaller conferences that would have room to promote expansion in the future when/if institutions are ready. But no school wanted to join the CHA to save the conference, so it folded. Contraction is the immediate concern and filling up the five remaining conferences is the logical consequence of failing to save the CHA. College hockey will feel the consequences as it basically assures no expansion for many years, absent some big-bomb.

NDSU tried a push at college hockey several years ago and it didnt' work out. So they decided to go DI in all sports instead. I'm sure the vast majority of their fan base is happy with how it turned out and wouldn't trade it for college hockey. Maybe they can someday have both, but that day is not in the foreseeable future as far as I can tell.

I look at it more like this is college hockey's fault for creating five bloated conferences rather than six smaller conferences that would have room to promote expansion in the future when/if institutions are ready. But no school wanted to join the CHA to save the conference, so it folded. Contraction is the immediate concern and filling up the five remaining conferences is the logical consequence of failing to save the CHA. College hockey will feel the consequences as it basically assures no expansion for many years, absent some big-bomb.

What I can see happening to provide expansion opportunities is either the CCHA or WCHA going to a 14 team conference, split into two divisions. Then divide up the games a certain way to make it fair, and that way everyone is happy.

What's going to change everything is if the Big Ten Conference ever forms, which will be a double edged sword for a school like UND.

I'm not saying this is set in stone, but I have good sources (both from GF and Fargo) that believe that the state tournament will eventually rotate between the REA and UP Center. I'm not sure how many more years the REA has the contract for this, so it still will be a few years off...and I'm sure things could change in that time. Also, not sure if it would be an every other year thing or not. Just reporting what I've been able to find on this subject.

Didn't "Why not Minot" try to have the state tourney moved out west? And an uproar went up about

a 110 million dollar arena in Grand Forks which trumped any idea of moving the state tourney?

IMHO, Blais is good at getting things his way but to have a tourney played at the Plains Center would be crazy. :angry:

I'm not saying this is set in stone, but I have good sources (both from GF and Fargo) that believe that the state tournament will eventually rotate between the REA and UP Center. I'm not sure how many more years the REA has the contract for this, so it still will be a few years off...and I'm sure things could change in that time. Also, not sure if it would be an every other year thing or not. Just reporting what I've been able to find on this subject.

Well, if true, it makes no sense to me. For years Grand Forks could never get the class A or class B basketball tournaments because we didn't have the facility/seating to hold them. Now, that isn't an issue anymore and they would award the hockey tournament to Fargo and the Urban Plains Center knowing they would be turning fans away?

Well, if true, it makes no sense to me. For years Grand Forks could never get the class A or class B basketball tournaments because we didn't have the facility/seating to hold them. Now, that isn't an issue anymore and they would award the hockey tournament to Fargo and the Urban Plains Center knowing they would be turning fans away?

Untrue about the bb tournament. You always had the Hyslop which holds as many as the BSA - attendance was the problem.

If NDSU makes the NCAA basketball tournament, Fargo will become a big basketball town... for about a week. As soon as they go one and done the novelty will wear off overnight and Fargo will go back to being a town where nobody off campus cares about basketball.

The era of top notch basketball is Fargo is at its beginning. The kid from Redwood Valley is the next thing at NDSU, and the kids from WI is the next floor general. Next year they will complete for the title again. This whole thing is just getting started, its just warming up. When the new arena gets built, this whole thing will really take off.

What kid from Redwood Valley? What kids from WI? I live in Fargo and have no idea who you're talking about, which just goes to show how far below the radar NDSU basketball is. I'm 38 years old and know a lot of people in Fargo who are around my age, give or take a few years. NOBODY that I know pays any attention to NDSU basketball. I hear plenty about their football team, but nothing at all about their basketball team. It's almost as if they don't even exist. I'm sure they have a strong following on campus, but citywide there just is not a lot of interest at this point in time.

If you say they have some up and coming talent I will take your word for it because you obviously follow them closer than I do. All I'm saying is that it will take many years of consistently qualifying for the tournament on a fairly regular basis and actually winning a couple of 1st round games at some point in time before NDSU basketball can even enter the discussion of most popular winter sports teams in the state of North Dakota. A single trip to the tournament is not going to make the entire city immediately stand up and take notice, especially if they're quickly eliminated on day one. I'm not saying it'll never happen, I'm only saying these things take a lot of time.

Haha, is someone feeling a little threatened?

The era of top notch basketball is Fargo is at its beginning. The kid from Redwood Valley is the next thing at NDSU, and the kids from WI is the next floor general. Next year they will complete for the title again. This whole thing is just getting started, its just warming up. When the new arena gets built, this whole thing will really take off.

:angry: When the 4 Seniors graduate after this year...ouch! If you honestly think SU will be in the mix for a Summit title next year, you really are knee deep in the Kool-Aid. These are Miles kids, don't forget that. The recruits the past couple years are not what Miles brought in. Era beginning? New arena? Will really take off? This SU team is arguably the best college BB team in ND...ever and they can't even pack that dump of a BSA. DaveK and I don't agree on ANYTHING but I live in Fargo and this is not and will not be a BB town. FB is and always will be king. But with that said it would be something for SU to make the "Dance" this year. Even a regular seaon title assures them an invite to the NIT which isn't bad either.

:angry: When the 4 Seniors graduate after this year...ouch! If you honestly think SU will be in the mix for a Summit title next year, you really are knee deep in the Kool-Aid. These are Miles kids, don't forget that. The recruits the past couple years are not what Miles brought in. Era beginning? New arena? Will really take off? This SU team is arguably the best college BB team in ND...ever and they can't even pack that dump of a BSA. DaveK and I don't agree on ANYTHING but I live in Fargo and this is not and will not be a BB town. FB is and always will be king. But with that said it would be something for SU to make the "Dance" this year. Even a regular seaon title assures them an invite to the NIT which isn't bad either.

People are never going to fill the ugly white box unless it's UND or maybe SDSU.

A new arena I could see drawing 6k consistantly for good games.

What kid from Redwood Valley? What kids from WI? I live in Fargo and have no idea who you're talking about, which just goes to show how far below the radar NDSU basketball is. I'm 38 years old and know a lot of people in Fargo who are around my age, give or take a few years. NOBODY that I know pays any attention to NDSU basketball. I hear plenty about their football team, but nothing at all about their basketball team. It's almost as if they don't even exist. I'm sure they have a strong following on campus, but citywide there just is not a lot of interest at this point in time.

If you say they have some up and coming talent I will take your word for it because you obviously follow them closer than I do. All I'm saying is that it will take many years of consistently qualifying for the tournament on a fairly regular basis and actually winning a couple of 1st round games at some point in time before NDSU basketball can even enter the discussion of most popular winter sports teams in the state of North Dakota. A single trip to the tournament is not going to make the entire city immediately stand up and take notice, especially if they're quickly eliminated on day one. I'm not saying it'll never happen, I'm only saying these things take a lot of time.

They just call him "the kid".

Hear he shot 12 men last month!

Fact is you don't know which Summit teams will be good next year and you don't know the quality of NDSU's red shirting class. Coach Saul was in on recruiting all the senior kids. Who do you think was in on the Wis. kids? Sure it hurts to lose 4 great starters but we'll reload and give it a run.