SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs PIONEERS

AZSIOUX

Sorry Red, I'm tied up the rest of the weekend...maybe later in the week.

Sure! It didn't have to be today. Sorry for implying that. I would just love to see what everyone's talking about.

Radio has been rather up and down lately, especially when UND faces a big time opponent such as DU or UMN.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he accused them of "scoreboard reffing," which it definitely seemed they were guilty of.

He said something along the lines of

DU guys are getting away with stickwork up and down the ice, the puck comes in our zone, our guy lays his stick on him and he gets called for it, you can't be calling penalties on our guys just because were up be a couple

One thing about this team: they love to share the puck. When things aren't going well, it leads to "one pass too many." When things are clicking, it is a thing of beauty. It's a shame so much attention is paid to the rough stuff based on past reputation, because this team isn't really about that, and it has somewhat overshadowed what has been a phenomenal offensive show lately. No one chases the goalie out of the game in five consecutive WCHA home games. Funny thing is that the goalies have played pretty well to outstanding in some of those games, until they finally get overwhelmed. The Sioux somehow need to maintain the intensity level over the rest of the season because they still need the wins.

This was the result of Hextall's yapping:

DEN-8 Rhett Rakhshani (2-Elbowing) 9:59

DEN-9 Anthony Maiani (10-Misconduct) 9:59

DEN-10 Dustin Jackson (2-Slashing) 9:59

DEN-11 Dustin Jackson (10-Misconduct) (Served by Matt Glasser) 9:59

Add this to that and you have perhaps the ugliest team meltdown in college hockey history:

DEN-12 Patrick Mullen (2-Roughing) 10:14

DEN-13 J.P. Testwuide (10-Misconduct) 10:14

DEN-14 Brandon Vossberg (2-Roughing) 10:14

DEN-15 Brandon Vossberg (2-Roughing) 10:14

DEN-16 J.P. Testwuide (2-Roughing) 10:14

DEN-17 J.P. Testwuide (2-Roughing) 10:14

DEN-18 J.P. Testwuide (2-Cross-Checking) 10:14

For those of you scoring at home, ??? that's 46 minutes of penalty minutes dished out in 15 seconds of "playing time". I think at this point I counted 5 Pios in the box and two sent down the tunnel to think about their conduct. To be completely transparent here, Hextall did end up drawing double minors in the 10:14 scrum, but his play led to all the above.

You gotta love a kid with that kind of mindset.

edit: now that I look at the numbers, I'm surprised Testwuide didn't get a game dq for his outburst; he drew three minors and a 10 for his little outburst against the boards.

edit: now that I look at the numbers, I'm surprised Testwuide didn't get a game dq for his outburst; he drew three minors and a 10 for his little outburst against the boards.

Agree. There was the blatant spear to Vandy then the 3, 4, 5 cross checks to boot. But when has Anderson ever really nailed the instigator? ??? I'm truly suprised thing didn't get completely out of hand.

I never played the game so could someone explain to me just what Hextall is doing to get the other teams so crazy. He isn't getting alot of penalties so it isn't illegal whatever it is. Do other teams players go crazy just from someone talking/chirping to them?

From the Saturday night broadcast (somewhat paraphrased):

He was chirping at the DU bench all night. Coach Gwoz was saying he's never had in all his experience in hockey an opposing player chirp at him. He was surprised it happened, he didn't realize Hextall was talking to him directly, once he realized what Hextall was doing, he really got the bench fired up.

I understand he's a talented young player in the role of a trash talker, but respect your elders young man. Especially the head coach of another team when he's not trash talking you.

After the Antics of Gwoz this weekend, I think he needs to be suspended by the league office.

Don't you think that will be reviewed by the WCHA, and then perhaps he will go for another game? Really, just what the hell was we doing walking across the ice.

I was sitting next to a really ignorant Denver fan (the GF of one of the players) and she has screaming "WAY TO SHOW EM GEORGE! GET THOSE SIOUX PLAYERS KICKED OUT!" No. clue. :glare:

EDIT: I just noticed I put this in Fridays gamethread, and it didn't happen till Saturday.

No clue. :love:

Don't you think that will be reviewed by the WCHA, and then perhaps he will go for another game? Really, just what the hell was we doing walking across the ice.

I was sitting next to a really ignorant Denver fan (the GF of one of the players) and she has screaming "WAY TO SHOW EM GEORGE! GET THOSE SIOUX PLAYERS KICKED OUT!" No. clue. :glare:

EDIT: I just noticed I put this in Fridays gamethread, and it didn't happen till Saturday.

No clue. :love:

I don't know if Hak gets two games (institution imposed, if UND hadn't the league would have) Gwoz should be suspended for two as well.

George showed the officials up. What wasn't on the broadcast was when George really snapped and was cupping his hands to his ears.

That was all class.

I don't know if Hak gets two games (institution imposed, if UND hadn't the league would have) Gwoz should be suspended for two as well.

George showed the officials up. What wasn't on the broadcast was when George really snapped and was cupping his hands to his ears.

That was all class.

Absolutely he needs to be gone for at least one game for walking on the ice. The official should have also started assessing delay of game penalties for the time he was out there. (as in you have five seconds to RUN off the ice or it's two minutes....Ok that's one penalty, you have five seconds to RUN off the ice or it's another two.)

Absolutely he needs to be gone for at least one game for walking on the ice. The official should have also started assessing delay of game penalties for the time he was out there. (as in you have five seconds to RUN off the ice or it's two minutes....Ok that's one penalty, you have five seconds to RUN off the ice or it's another two.)

I have said many times before but there is nothing on consistantly inconsistant than the officiating in the WCHA. And on top of that there is no greater equalizer for league parity than WCHA officiating. Anderson and crew were brutal Friday and last night was a total embarrassment. The blatant and dangerous stickwork by DU on Friday that wasn't handled properly was pathetic. So then Sat. both teams are slashing, hooking, ect...knowing little will be called. Then the GG fiasco! Anderson and Campion need to come and see me for an exam to see if they actually have testicles. Talk about being undressed as a man! You get respect as an official by not doing what those 2 did with GG and his antics.

PS: UND should be happy to escape with a point last night. DU was rolling. Overall another great weekend of hockey at the REA.

George showed the officials up. What wasn't on the broadcast was when George really snapped and was cupping his hands to his ears.That was all class.

You forgot to mention the 2 hands around the throat gesture he gave Anderson a couple of times.

You forgot to mention the 2 hands around the throat gesture he gave Anderson a couple of times.

That might be circumstantial. Gwoz may have been making that motion to Anderson in a variety of different interpretations. He also could be imitating what he felt the Sioux player (VV I believe) was doing to his player that deserved a penalty.

As per Schlossman's blog, I agree about the idea of forfeit. When the official told Gwoz to get off the ice, he immediately turned around and got off the ice as soon as he could safely cross the ice.

The big issue with Gwoz on the ice falls on the shoulders of campion and Anderson. They should have immediately skated over and told Gwoz to get off the ice before he had taken 3 steps and told the linesmen to get off the ice or on the opposite end of the rink from Gwoz. This is a matter of...gasp...safety. Something that the WCHA is NOTORIOUS for ignoring outright. What if it wasn't Gwoz but a rinkydink coach of some sort that really did want to choke Anderson but couldn't get to him so he choked the linesman instead?

In fact, on the YouTube video, neither head official was ever in the screen at ANY point while Gwoz was actually on the ice!

I think Gwoz isn't the only one who deserves suspension. Anderson and Campion do. HOWEVER, unlike Gwoz, neither official will see a decrease in game time. Mark my words. Daddy Shep has already slapped their wrists, said "Bad boy" to each, and sent them home without dessert.

That might be circumstantial. Gwoz may have been making that motion to Anderson in a variety of different interpretations. He also could be imitating what he felt the Sioux player (VV I believe) was doing to his player that deserved a penalty.

As per Schlossman's blog, I agree about the idea of forfeit. When the official told Gwoz to get off the ice, he immediately turned around and got off the ice as soon as he could safely cross the ice.

The big issue with Gwoz on the ice falls on the shoulders of campion and Anderson. They should have immediately skated over and told Gwoz to get off the ice before he had taken 3 steps and told the linesmen to get off the ice or on the opposite end of the rink from Gwoz. This is a matter of...gasp...safety. Something that the WCHA is NOTORIOUS for ignoring outright. What if it wasn't Gwoz but a rinkydink coach of some sort that really did want to choke Anderson but couldn't get to him so he choked the linesman instead?

As I found out with my big brother YEARS ago. A guy on skates on the ice is untouchable by a person who isn't.

That might be circumstantial. Gwoz may have been making that motion to Anderson in a variety of different interpretations.

Really? Is that what you saw from Omaha? It was obvious sitting right across from GG what the interpretation was, not only by his actions but his expressions. If WCHA officials want to be publically stripped of respect and don't want to control any situation properly, you'll continue to get the antics that took place both nights. But don't be an enabler for this ass!

Really? Is that what you saw from Omaha? It was obvious sitting right across from GG what the interpretation was, not only by his actions but his expressions. If WCHA officials want to be publically stripped of respect and don't want to control any situation properly, you'll continue to get the antics that took place both nights. But don't be an enabler for this ass!

VV did nothing right before it that would have constituted a choke hold sign. I was 20 feet from him when it happened.

In fact, on the YouTube video, neither head official was ever in the screen at ANY point while Gwoz was actually on the ice!

I think Gwoz isn't the only one who deserves suspension. Anderson and Campion do. HOWEVER, unlike Gwoz, neither official will see a decrease in game time. Mark my words. Daddy Shep has already slapped their wrists, said "Bad boy" to each, and sent them home without dessert.

No, no, no! The officials should have made sure that Gwoz went down the tunnel to the locker room or sent him off to the press box the minute they ejected him from the game. The cross-ice stalking should never have been allowed to happen. What part of "ejected" doesn't Gwoz understand?

No, no, no! The officials should have made sure that Gwoz went down the tunnel to the locker room or sent him off to the press box the minute they ejected him from the game. The cross-ice stalking should never have been allowed to happen. What part of "ejected" doesn't Gwoz understand?

It is now ok to walk on the ice just don't flip anyone off.

WCHA =:silly:

Cut poor old Bucky some slack. His Gophers do fight, the only difference is that they prefer to do it with their gloves on. Slap slap Bucky.

Because that way it's not cheap. :silly:

Well stated, Swami. I couldn't believe my eyes as i watched Jackson totally lose his cool before that face off. After the slash, Hextall looks at the ref like, 'hey, I just want to play hockey, let's stop this silliness.' :D

I watched that at about 1:30 am on the on-demand section of fightingsioux.com and I was cracking up watching Hextall work that guy. Brilliant!

As for Gwoz, maybe next year when Denver visits when the DU team comes out on the ice, or maybe the first time Gwoz has a discussion with the ref, the Ralph needs to play "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"

Check me if I am wrong, It appears VV slew footed him, maybe by accident... Hard to tell.

VV basically pulled the player he was checking down, nothing major that warrants a trip accross the ice from the head coach.

If anything you can watch DU first NCAA title game and the pios did that all the time. :silly:

The last thing the refs should have done was give Gwoz an audience. When I saw him walking across the ice, my first thought was that the refs should treat him like he's invisible. Wait until he got across the ice and calmly skate back cross to the Denver bench and tell the assistant coach and the players that their coach has no business being on the ice and that if he wasn't off right now, the team would get another bench penalty. The officials have complete control of that ice, and they blew it when they even acknowledged Gwoz' presence other than issue another penalty. I don't have a problem with Gwoz, acutually. He's a good coach, and the move proved to be a shrewd one. But when he went on the ice he was fair game for being humiliated. Making his own captains talk him off the ice would have done that.

VV basically pulled the player he was checking down, nothing major that warrants a trip accross the ice from the head coach.

If anything you can watch DU first NCAA title game and the pios did that all the time. :silly:

check the tape... I just noticed it, watch vv's foot behind tweeds, maybe that's why tweeds was so mad... or maybe it was cause we hung 8 on them