SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX/GOPHERS SATURDAY

gfhockey

Probably discussed exhaustingly above... but I just saw the FSN interview with Hill... wow... cry about it. When he said of Jones, "it was all for show" I couldnt help but laugh... So actually throwing down is for show, but sending out players to spear hook and cross-check players on their backs is something that is not "classless"... Dude got ran out of AA. He's terrible (even by um standards).

yeah, hill really got his boys going as the acting head coach this weekend :silly::silly: atta boy hill..........

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question here. I didn't get home until the third period both nights and didn't choose to watch closely for some reason.

From this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOITMukHhmQ

At the 1:00 minute mark you see Trupp doubled over, at 1:06 you clearly see #12 Lucia standing on the bench looking along with the rest of his team down on Trupp.

Did Lucia really spear Trupp and then jump off as if nothing happened?

from my vantage point, I didn't see the supposed spear on trupp but when i looked over, Trupp was down, Hextall pushed Lucia over the boards as he was going there anyway. then it looked like Hextall basically challenged the Gopher bench. after that, the rest of the ruckus ensued.

UNDLeafsGuy said it looked more like a butt-end to Trupp. i guess he'd have to clarify that one.

Ulf Samuelsson is a Penguins legend who put his own body on the line for the greater good of his team. Shame on you and that classless puke Don Cherry for badmouthing him.

Ulf used his body and whatever else he carried to attempt to injure the best players on the opponent' teams. I suppose that is for the good of his team. Cherry was absolutely right on Ulf.

Horrible analogy. :silly:

Surely you aren't trying to imply that Trupp (or any hockey player who a teammates feels the need to defend) is like a girl, are you? Why should any respectable hockey player have to rely on a teammate to defend his honor. I'm sure Trupp would have been more than capable of taking care of himself and waiting for his opportunity to get a shot at Lucia had Jones been man enough to leave well enough alone.

trupp taking care of himself?? :silly: sorry but that wasnt going to happen and thats why teammates and certain ones stick up for eachother. the other teams know that as well and every team has players that will NEVER get involved in fighting. you know that. come on. you know hockey and how it works. we all know you dont like fighting and thats fine but im guessing you know hockey a little and know that every player simply doesnt fight or defend himself. now if it was a little waterbug like himself then yes he would but not lucia. thats why jones did what he did and obviously the coaching staff had NO problem with it and never would in that type of case. if you wana get cheap then be ready to drop the gloves as well. just like bruess did vs kaip when he socked kaip the year before as kaip couldnt get another fighting major and kaip settled that with bruess last season knowing exactly what was going to happen even though he knew he would be in trouble fighting kaip straight up and then it was settled. its part of hockey and always has been and always will be.

Thanks for the explanation on Lucia.

I think Frattin/Lucia and Jones/Shack would have been far more entertaining than simply watching Jones go nuts.

yeah it would have. that was simply awesome to watch. no matter who you were a fan of that was hilarious :silly:

any word on lucia?

yeah it would have. that was simply awesome to watch. no matter who you were a fan of that was hilarious :silly:

any word on lucia?

I think the Strib said he was going to practice today. I'm guessing there was 25+ guys who needed their @$$es kicked and he wanted to do some kicking.

I think the Strib said he was going to practice today. I'm guessing there was 25+ guys who needed their @$$es kicked and he wanted to do some kicking.

For the players sake, too bad his foot wasn't hurt instead of his head...

....or maybe he brought a wooden spoon to practice, told everyone to pull down their breezers and line up for spankings.

Man, I hated the wooden spoon....

I don't think he would dare call in sick again after what the idiot Hill did with his team.

yeah no crap, dons like..............ummmmmmmmm, ill take it from hear jonny boy. thanks anyways :silly:

this doesnt sound good on fischer, hope its not serious

Fischer will definitely not play against the Huskies. Hill said he is out for at least three weeks. Fischer got cut on the back of his thigh by a skate Friday in the first period, came back but then struggled off the ice in the second. Hill said he suspects Fischer may have a torn tendon.

That's right, it isn't as bad. It was done with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play. If Jones had retaliated by doing something to Lucia with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play, I would have respected that.

So, Jones could have used his stick, returned the favor and speared Lucia and, as long as he keeps his helmet and gloves on, we are good to go? WOW! Interesting concept. :silly:

Compared to throwing down your gloves and helmet and trying to attack a player who didn't want to fight, and then going ballistic on two refs? Yeah, I (and any other sane person) would call spearing Lucia to be the lesser of those two evils. :silly:

attack :silly: sorry davek. if he wanted to attack him he would have not given lucia a chance to skate away after the puck was dropped. im guessing lucia knew what was up as im sure he noticed jones lined up next to him. you always know whos next to you on every faceoff. you obviously see it very different than the majority. jones dropped the gloves and helmet and lucia wanted no part either way and the refs got to jones. he didnt attack him. if that was the case he wuld ave sucker punched him and not drop the gloves and helmet like you are suppose to do. over this - go sioux and whoop the crap out of tech

Watch the video again, Dave. Zach doesn't flip out and chase Lucia after taking his gear off. He skates in his direction, prepared for the confrontation. He doesn't flip out until the refs tackle him.

Nobody knows what Jones was going to do. Nobody knows what Jones and Lucia talked about on the ice. You don't KNOW that Jones was going to attack an unwilling Lucia. As AZSioux said, if Jones really wanted to "attack" Lucia, he wouldn't have waited until the puck dropped, he would have gone after him at first opportunity. Do you know why he didn't? Because that's not what you do in hockey.

And for as many stupid and ignorant comments that constantly fly around this forum, to say that a fight (in hockey? No!) is WORSE than a spear absolutely takes the cake.

I bet half the boys were "classless" today after the big weekend! If you know what I mean.

It is clear that any attempt at analogy or explanation of the code is simply lost on some on this board. I am not a huge proponent of fighting either, but it does have its place.

I still liked Genoway jerseying old Morgan Fairchild on friday night the best. In typical Gopher POI (we all know what the P stands for) fashion, They get rough, Chay works him over and jerseys him, leaving Fairchild on his knees with his jersey over his arms and head. Then Chay starts skating to the box with the official, and Morgan comes after him to fight again. Some people just don't learn.

Also, I agree with the statements about how you go after someone. Jonesey did it like a man. tDon's daughter might have earned the ultimate POI award of all time. Does anyone have a photo of Jonesy ready to go and Tonya running away? That would be awesome.

I have actually come across many Gopher fans who are simply embarrassed by all of it. Getting out skated, out shot, out hit, out hustled, out goaltended, out scored and out classed. One of my friends even said that it might be the lowest point in Gopher history. It is acceptable to lose, it is unacceptable to lose with disgrace and cowardice.

I bet half the boys were "classless" today after the big weekend! If you know what I mean.

It is clear that any attempt at analogy or explanation of the code is simply lost on some on this board. I am not a huge proponent of fighting either, but it does have its place.

I still liked Genoway jerseying old Morgan Fairchild on friday night the best. In typical Gopher POI (we all know what the P stands for) fashion, They get rough, Chay works him over and jerseys him, leaving Fairchild on his knees with his jersey over his arms and head. Then Chay starts skating to the box with the official, and Morgan comes after him to fight again. Some people just don't learn.

Also, I agree with the statements about how you go after someone. Jonesey did it like a man. tDon's daughter might have earned the ultimate POI award of all time. Does anyone have a photo of Jonesy ready to go and Tonya running away? That would be awesome.

I have actually come across many Gopher fans who are simply embarrassed by all of it. Getting out skated, out shot, out hit, out hustled, out goaltended, out scored and out classed. One of my friends even said that it might be the lowest point in Gopher history. It is acceptable to lose, it is unacceptable to lose with disgrace and cowardice.

The highlight of the whole thing was when a Gopher fan was hoping lil pussy Lucia got leveled for what he was doing out there.

Compared to throwing down your gloves and helmet and trying to attack a player who didn't want to fight, and then going ballistic on two refs? Yeah, I (and any other sane person) would call spearing Lucia to be the lesser of those two evils. :silly:

I would call myself reasonable sane so I must reply with my 0.02 here. Spearing is never ok because a person can be SEVERELY injured by it happening and no one should do it...before you bring up Prpich, Mike stated that he did not mean to do it, his stick slipped and I believe him. As for throwing down your golves and helmet to fight a player, if you watch the video Jones tells Lucia that they are going to go (presumably from the video and me being there). Lucia knows the code and the hockey code says, you pull a cheap shot on someone or someone's teammate, then you had better be able to back it up. Why Jones went that ballastic with the refs, I don't know...perhaps someone said something to him. You would have to ask the players on the ice or Jones because something made him snap after the refs stopped him, he just wanted to fight Lucia before that...he snapped after the refs had him. (Again, I was there..I saw him do this). If the refs had let Jones go, the most Lucia would have gotten would have been some stitches, boo hoo for him.

So, as a sane person, I would say that spearing Lucia would not be the lesser of two evils because that could have brought SERIOUS harm to him and gopher or not, I don't wish that on a person...better some stitches than having certain body parts cut open or having severe pain there for a long time.

Tonya Lucia is now my least favorite player in the WCHA. It used to be Roe at St Cloud Community and Technical College, but now Tonya is #1.

Agreed. Even last year up here in GF he was one of the cockiest players I've witnessed. I had the pleasure of discussing a few topics with him in the penalty box, and I've never met another with the attitude he has.

If daddy wasn't the coach, where do you think he'd be playing right now? One thing I give him credit for though is he hustles about twice as much as most other Gopher players.

I'll add in Lasch and JP Testwuide.