SiouxSports.com Forum

Weather Last Night

Dden1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to get my finals over with, but my car isn't starting. Walking in these blizzardy conditions isn't my cup of tea. :lol:

That is one reason I'm surprised UND hasn't decided to close up shop tomorrow. It would suck if you get up to go to a final and your car doesn't start but are too far to walk, what are you to do, finals have no exceptions.

UND close :lol::ohmy::) It won't happen as long as the director of finance (i.e. the person who is worried about making money) has that power in his or her hands.

january 30th, 2004.

Jan 30, 2004. -44 with -60 wind chill

I seem to remember having to walk to class from the dorms because it was to cold for the busses to run. all of them were breaking down due to the cold and they had police shuttles pick students up and take them to class. I remember Kup-cake giving his reasoning for leaving classes on. "the majority of students already live on campus so it would not be difficult to get to class". The second to last place to close in the Greater Grand Forks Area is UND, and the last place to ever close was EGF Senior high. I'm so glad I am graduated so I dont have to go to a final tommorow.

january 30th, 2004.

I seem to remember having to walk to class from the dorms because it was to cold for the busses to run. all of them were breaking down due to the cold and they had police shuttles pick students up and take them to class. I remember Kup-cake giving his reasoning for leaving classes on. "the majority of students already live on campus so it would not be difficult to get to class". The second to last place to close in the Greater Grand Forks Area is UND, and the last place to ever close was EGF Senior high. I'm so glad I am graduated so I dont have to go to a final tommorow.

I remember walking to class that morning! I got up and went to my 8am english class like it was any other day, then got back at around 9, turned on the radio and heard that it was like a million degrees below zero...i think it's gotten colder every time i remember the story, it's getting down to about -90 wind chill in my mind.

I remember walking to class that morning! I got up and went to my 8am english class like it was any other day, then got back at around 9, turned on the radio and heard that it was like a million degrees below zero...i think it's gotten colder every time i remember the story, it's getting down to about -90 wind chill in my mind.

Heh.

I remember, early on in my UND career, UND posting signs cautioning us to bundle up. "Your flesh will freeze in minutes out there! Bundle Up!"

I got pretty bitter about it at the time. After all, the warnings probably came from someone who only has to walk 50 feet from their parking spot at Twamley to the door.

I still marvel how no matter what the wind was always blowing in your face on Campus.

Course that was in the old days and we didn't complain.

I always enjoyed the prop heads from California or Florida who complained about the cold, but wore open-toed sandals or warm weather clothes to class in January to show off their tans. :lol::ohmy:

I still marvel how no matter what the wind was always blowing in your face on Campus.

Course that was in the old days and we didn't complain.

Shoot, back in my days there were actually HILLS on campus, and I had to walk up them both ways to get back and forth to class.

I remember a week in late 1995 or early 1996 where the governor cancelled all schools for Thurday and Friday on Wed. afternoon. The temp was around -40-50 before windchill. I was in the dorms at the time and a wild long weekend was had by all. The liquor stores were busy that Wed. night to stock up.

I had a final tonight and it wasn't terrible since the wind wasn't blowing, but it was still plenty cold. I always lose my gloves at the wrong time. Luckily I lost one glove from two different pairs to make one pair!!! That should have been enough math to pass my Calc final, but doubt if it was. :lol:

I had a final tonight and it wasn't terrible since the wind wasn't blowing, but it was still plenty cold. I always lose my gloves at the wrong time. Luckily I lost one glove from two different pairs to make one pair!!! That should have been enough math to pass my Calc final, but doubt if it was. :lol:

Which Calc final? I just took my Applied Calc finaland bombed it. :ohmy: Hope my car starts this morning.

In the winter of '88-'89, think it was in Jan. '89, UND closed and cancelled classes (I believe for the first time ever) because of cold. I think it was -35 to -40 and windy. We lived in the apts behind Burger Time off of Demers and sat around playing cards all day with the oven on at 500 with the door open! It still only got to about 65 in the apt.

our neighbors furnace went out early sunday afternoon, and were using a couple of the electric space heaters and the oven, ala oxbow there, and was able to keep their place at a balmy 45 until someone could get there monday to fix it. i'm pretty sure even on the coldest days, our icehouses are warmer than that. we offered for them to keep warm at our place, but i guess they figured it's a story to tell some day like these.

I remember a week in late 1995 or early 1996 where the governor cancelled all schools for Thurday and Friday on Wed. afternoon. The temp was around -40-50 before windchill. I was in the dorms at the time and a wild long weekend was had by all. The liquor stores were busy that Wed. night to stock up.

(Dating myself...)

Easter weekend, 1975. BIG blizzard shut down the entire community. An RA from Walsh Hall (who shall remain nameless :lol: ) organized a group purchase of liquor by going door to door in the dorm and taking pre-payments at exorbitant prices, then recruiting eight freshman to help him brave the snowdrifts to pull the bounty back on toboggans "borrowed" from neighboring houses. Head resident was out of town and the other RAs simply didn't care.

(Cue music...)

Those were the days. :ohmy:

In the winter of '88-'89, think it was in Jan. '89, UND closed and cancelled classes (I believe for the first time ever) because of cold. I think it was -35 to -40 and windy. We lived in the apts behind Burger Time off of Demers and sat around playing cards all day with the oven on at 500 with the door open! It still only got to about 65 in the apt.

I remember that one. They waited until the early evening to announce it to keep students from packing up and heading for an early weekend when the weather was so bad. My buddies and I went over to The Down Under (is that place even around any more?) and drank $1 teas till closing. One of my more classic hangovers at UND ... :lol::ohmy:

I remember that one. They waited until the early evening to announce it to keep students from packing up and heading for an early weekend when the weather was so bad. My buddies and I went over to The Down Under (is that place even around any more?) and drank $1 teas till closing. One of my more classic hangovers at UND ... :lol::ohmy:

I somewhat recall an "Around the World" party at the DU house. I think.

On another weather related note, I remember when a buddy and I drove to the Down UNDer on a Friday, in my Honda CRX, in a blizzard during the winter of '89-'90! That low rider got stuck in the snow twice on the way there! But we made it there for our usual Friday 1 pm sitting!

The Down UNDer is/was one of the reasons UND is on the list of top schools where students don't study! That place was sooooo money for hot chics :) , I mean women, and cheap brew on Fridays!

On another weather related note, I remember when a buddy and I drove to the Down UNDer on a Friday, in my Honda CRX, in a blizzard during the winter of '89-'90! That low rider got stuck in the snow twice on the way there! But we made it there for our usual Friday 1 pm sitting!

The Down UNDer is/was one of the reasons UND is on the list of top schools where students don't study! That place was sooooo money for hot chics :ohmy: , I mean women, and cheap brew on Fridays!

I hear ya. Then Sensations would have 2 for 1 mixed drinks at 6 or so, and we'd stumble upstairs for a few hours. Good times ... :lol:

I hear ya. Then Sensations would have 2 for 1 mixed drinks at 6 or so, and we'd stumble upstairs for a few hours. Good times ... :ohmy:

Been there and done ALL that!! :lol: Oh to be 20 again and single. Those were great times!!

UND close :lol::ohmy::) It won't happen as long as the director of finance (i.e. the person who is worried about making money) has that power in his or her hands.

I remember back in fall session of '01 we got hit by that big a@# snowstorm the week before Halloween (13 inches I believe) and they actually called off the afternoon I believe. I don't believe it was the whole day.

I also remember when I was a junior in high school winter of '98 we got hit by 30 inches of snow in Williston and they actually shut down our high school for a couple of the days. It was the first time they did that in over 20 years!!! It takes a lot for North Dakota to completely shut down their school systems I guess. ;)

january 30th, 2004.

That is one day I remember specifically as a freshman going through initiation... We snapped a nice picture next to the Fritz auditorium thermometer. I feel honored to have lived there on the coldest recorded day in GF history.