SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SCSU

AZSIOUX

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jk mentioned Hextall's good play. On the post-game Hakstol pointed out that Hextall was probably the best player for the Sioux tonite. I remember at one point in the game Hexall had the puck on the wall, curled out, dropped the puck for himself and got a nice shot off on goal. That really stood out to me as I had thought at the time most players would just chip that either forward or back to either a linemate in the corner or a D at the point. Hextall made something very nice happen rather than give the 2 SCSU players bracketing him a chance to play the puck. Hakstol specifically mentioned that play as one that stood out tonite.

Another TH "moment" (akin to the Sweeney-ism) was when Minnesota beat St. Cloud 4-1.

So, altogether, a really rough day for SCSU. Lost two games in the same night by two different teams. :lol:

I have to wonder about Weslosky, though. The guy was just awful. I wonder if he's turning into a Frazee.

It also speaks volumes about how valuable standout goaltenders, goaltenders who can steal games for you, really are. There are a TON of talented netminders out there, but very few can almost singlehandedly control games.

We've seen a lot recently in and around DI. Goaltenders like Goehring, Schneider (BC), Bruckler and Elliott (UW), Bachman (CC) last year, Manino (DU), JPL (UND -- At least until the Frozen Four), JPar (UND - again, until the Frozen Four), I'll even say Teslak for MTU was one based on what we're seeing this year from MTU, and I'm sure others.

Kangas and Eidsness could turn into that, but many were billed at being that way and have failed. BU had a situation like that before their recruited walk-on, Curry, took over the nets. CC didn't ever imagine they'd get what they got with O'Connell. I'm sure UW has to be getting frustrated with Connelly. Need I mention Frazee in this category?

A special case for UMN's Weber. He did play well, then up and quit. However, I don't think he single handedly stole anything for UMN. He played on amazing teams and it worked out for him (unlike JPL and JPar).

The jury is out on Stalock. The guy can play, but he's seriously got nothing in front of him.

Another TH "moment" (akin to the Sweeney-ism) was when Minnesota beat St. Cloud 4-1.

So, altogether, a really rough day for SCSU. Lost two games in the same night by two different teams. :lol:

I have to wonder about Weslosky, though. The guy was just awful. I wonder if he's turning into a Frazee.

It also speaks volumes about how valuable standout goaltenders, goaltenders who can steal games for you, really are. There are a TON of talented netminders out there, but very few can almost singlehandedly control games.

We've seen a lot recently in and around DI. Goaltenders like Goehring, Schneider (BC), Bruckler and Elliott (UW), Bachman (CC) last year, Manino (DU), JPL (UND -- At least until the Frozen Four), JPar (UND - again, until the Frozen Four), I'll even say Teslak for MTU was one based on what we're seeing this year from MTU, and I'm sure others.

Kangas and Eidsness could turn into that, but many were billed at being that way and have failed. BU had a situation like that before their recruited walk-on, Curry, took over the nets. CC didn't ever imagine they'd get what they got with O'Connell. I'm sure UW has to be getting frustrated with Connelly. Need I mention Frazee in this category?

A special case for UMN's Weber. He did play well, then up and quit. However, I don't think he single handedly stole anything for UMN. He played on amazing teams and it worked out for him (unlike JPL and JPar).

The jury is out on Stalock. The guy can play, but he's seriously got nothing in front of him.

Kangas IS that way.

Right now, I'd say 4 in a row is 4 in a row.

I don't think anyone here is calling the Sioux among the elite of the WCHA at this point. Right now, I know I am just happy to be a fan of a team that has put together a nice little streak going into break.

Now, I just wish we were playing Minny during the WJC. :lol:

Right now, I'd say 4 in a row is 4 in a row.

I don't think anyone here is calling the Sioux among the elite of the WCHA at this point. Right now, I know I am just happy to be a fan of a team that has put together a nice little streak going into break.

Now, I just wish we were playing Minny during the WJC. :lol:

You'd probably sweep. Schroeder has been arguably our best player, especially consistency wise. Fairchild is our best defender, and Hoeffel has really been coming along. Couple that with Barriball still being out via injury and it wouldn't be pretty.

He certainly showed flashes of it last season, yes. However, I'd like to see the second half before I comment on Kangas.

I'm withholding my opinion on Eidsness until after his sophomore season.

Bachman showed flashes of it last year too, and his numbers weren't much more impressive than those of Kangas. Also this season Kangas has kept up his pace from last year, and has been clearly better than Bachman. So if you dont include Kangas that's fine, but Bachman shouldn't be there either.

True statement. I mean they are doing good. They are turning it around, but beat someone good. I don't really care if the continue to beat teams like this.

Then don't.

I do. I'm sure many of us do. A win is a win.

Look at it this way:

Let's say UND plays Notre Dame, Minnesota, CC, and the other top 10 teams 1 series each (20 games total). Let's say the Sioux lose every other game but beat every top 10 team. That would make them what... 20-16? Something like that. Is that really good? I'm sure you'd think so because they've only beat "good" teams.

I'm in the camp that says "A win is a win is a win is a win." We need wins. PERIOD.

Bachman showed flashes of it last year too, and his numbers weren't much more impressive than those of Kangas. Also this season Kangas has kept up his pace from last year, and has been clearly better than Bachman. So if you dont include Kangas that's fine, but Bachman shouldn't be there either.

Fair enough... However, I'd really argue that Bachman was consistently dominant his freshman year. Kangas didn't play the first half of his freshman year all that much, did he?

Fair enough... However, I'd really argue that Bachman was consistently dominant his freshman year. Kangas didn't play the first half of his freshman year all that much, did he?

No, not a whole lot. I can see where you're coming from though. If you're going to base it on a year's worth of games though, then Kangas now is more so than Bachman after 1 year.

I don't know if you want to say that Kangas has been clearly better than Bachman this year. I'd say the first 10 games Bachman was solid, he just seems rattled the last half of the games. Don't forget, Kangas has also had "Bachman" games. See Denver, Michigan State, Michigan.

And I think Kangas is a really good goaltender, but he's not a game changer/stealer yet to me. In stretches, yes. But consistently, no. I don't know if I've seen that type of goalie out there yet this season.