SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ HARVARD

AZSIOUX

listening to coach hakstol talk and not want to comment on big joe i can only believe he may be done this season. just the first time you have heard hak say what he said and how he said it. take it for what thats worth but just a hunch big joe is done this season

to take the worst possible scenario and Joe is done for the season, could they bring in another d-man(MacWilliam) at the break?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a May 9, 1753 letter to his friend Peter Collinson, Ben Franklin told the story of some Massachusetts commissioners who invited the local Indians to send "a half a dozen of their brightest lads" to study free at Harvard. The Indians replied that they had sent some of their young braves to study there years earlier, but on their return "they were absolutely good for nothing, being neither acquainted with the true methods of killing deer, catching Beaver, or surprizing an enemy." The Indians offered instead to educate a dozen or so New Englanders in the ways of the Indians "and make men of them."

listening to coach hakstol talk and not want to comment on big joe i can only believe he may be done this season. just the first time you have heard hak say what he said and how he said it. take it for what thats worth but just a hunch big joe is done this season

Given this I don't understand investing the time to turn Miller into a D when he will only be here one year. He is taking up playing time from others that will be here longer and it is just delaying their development.

If Miller is playing so well, why not move him back to forward. Our main problem is inconsistent offense and maybe his improved play can help there.

Our GA is not the problem, finishing is.

Given this I don't understand investing the time to turn Miller into a D when he will only be here one year. He is taking up playing time from others that will be here longer and it is just delaying their development.

If Miller is playing so well, why not move him back to forward. Our main problem is inconsistent offense and maybe his improved play can help there.

Our GA is not the problem, finishing is.

maybe miller is playing better because he is at defense. he never did much at foward in 3 years and a few games so with joe out hak needed a guy that could find the back of the net and create some cances as well and have that 7th d man if someone else happens to go down. i know exactly what you are saying with the development of fienhage as hes the one sitting mostly. blood and fienhage should be in there every night. they can bring some physical play to the ice together. sit marto or lapoint for a game and maybe that sparks something. just score some goals and i think this team will start putting some streaks together as the D isnt the problem as we all know. its scoring all around from up front to the blueline :glare:

I agree, maybe sit LaPoint for a game, he needs a spark. Have they tried to put Gregoire up on the first line with Duncan and VV yet this year? Move Hextall down to the second line with Frattin and whoever is going to fill in for Trupp. Will Hak go with Malone, Martens, Toews? I think Davidson should c some ice time, he brings some physical play to the game, maybe every other game with Lamoureux.

I agree, maybe sit LaPoint for a game, he needs a spark. Have they tried to put Gregoire up on the first line with Duncan and VV yet this year? Move Hextall down to the second line with Frattin and whoever is going to fill in for Trupp. Will Hak go with Malone, Martens, Toews? I think Davidson should c some ice time, he brings some physical play to the game, maybe every other game with Lamoureux.

i would say mario plays in trupps lineup spot and it sounds like toews will be centering frattin and gregoire as they have been rolling that line in practice. i like that idea. its either mario or davidson as those are the only options at forward as of now so only 1 player will be a scratch with miller at D.

maybe miller is playing better because he is at defense. he never did much at foward in 3 years and a few games so with joe out hak needed a guy that could find the back of the net and create some cances as well and have that 7th d man if someone else happens to go down. i know exactly what you are saying with the development of fienhage as hes the one sitting mostly. blood and fienhage should be in there every night. they can bring some physical play to the ice together. sit marto or lapoint for a game and maybe that sparks something. just score some goals and i think this team will start putting some streaks together as the D isnt the problem as we all know. its scoring all around from up front to the blueline :glare:

I personally do not think that fienhage should be in there every night. Obviously the team has not given up on the season yet and miller being back on the point is what gives us the best chance to win and he puts up points. Its just not there yet he came right from high school give it time.

I personally do not think that fienhage should be in there every night. Obviously the team has not given up on the season yet and miller being back on the point is what gives us the best chance to win and he puts up points. Its just not there yet he came right from high school give it time.

my point is play him over marto or lapoint right now and maybe that will spark those 2 as you cant sit them both. we have 2 d men who have contributed in the point column and one is a converted forward. the rest have as many points as brad eidsness so its not like you are losing anything right now by playing fienhage and blood together in the same game.

I agree with not playing fienhage every night. people on this board complain about chay's defense well in watching fienhage he has directly turned the puck over to the opposition that has led to a goal i.e. against wisconsin. I feel at this point he is a liability with puck handeling.

my point is play him over marto or lapoint right now and maybe that will spark those 2 as you cant sit them both. we have 2 d men who have contributed in the point column and one is a converted forward. the rest have as many points as brad eidsness so its not like you are losing anything right now by playing fienhage and blood together in the same game.

The only problem with marto is the physical side. Me personally, I feel defensemen need to be able to bump people off the puck more times than not. Failing to do so can/could cause many opportunities in front of our net, as an example.

The only problem with marto is the physical side. Me personally, I feel defensemen need to be able to bump people off the puck more times than not. Failing to do so can/could cause many opportunities in front of our net, as an example.

Agree on the physical part its to bad about Marto to because he has tried to gain wait ever since sophmore year of high school and it never happened. That is also my feeling on the upside of Aaron Ness's potential as a pro.

Agree on the physical part its to bad about Marto to because he has tried to gain wait ever since sophmore year of high school and it never happened. That is also my feeling on the upside of Aaron Ness's potential as a pro.

would be nice if he could start creating some plays from that blueline. he and lapoint have that ability but for whatever reason as of now it isnt happening and their +/- ratios are beyond bad. i know they can play and contribute. somethings but not clicking for the 2 right now. sure hope they can turn it around as it could do wonders overall for the team creating great opportunities from that blueline 5 on 5 or on the PP.

would be nice if he could start creating some plays from that blueline. he and lapoint have that ability but for whatever reason as of now it isnt happening and their +/- ratios are beyond bad. i know they can play and contribute. somethings but not clicking for the 2 right now. sure hope they can turn it around as it could do wonders overall for the team creating great opportunities from that blueline 5 on 5 or on the PP.

Is it possible that Marto and Lapoint are being asked to play a role they aren't used to? Last year they didn't play as much as they are now.

Now they are getting a big chunk of ice time.

I'll give Marto the benefit of the doubt, as the kid is an awesome skater. Marto and Genoway both can move their feet. The other dmen aren't where they need to be with their skating. Jones isn't a great skater, but I will give him that he is ridiculously strong on his skates and just punishes guys along the end boards.

I continue to believe that our shortcomings at D are driving our shortcomings on the season.

The Sioux have always put together a team that is explosive in transition. In order to do that effectively the dmen have to make the right passes. Thus far they seem to be playing hot potato with the puck and not getting it on the tape to a forward who can do something with it. I don't care if you're Sidney Crosby, if the passes are in your skates or behind you or you've either had to slow down or are just getting going, you aren't going to be able to make things happen like you otherwise could.

Additonally our pp and offensive zone play also lacks due to the play of the d. As a forward you are always taught to use your points for help in the offensive zone. They should be a safety valve. If you're working the boards down low and you get doubled, someone is open, and more often than not the "helper" that is doubling you is the opponent's winger coming down. That should mean an open point man. If the d can't hold the zone, that help is lost.

There is plenty of blame to go around, waiting too long, not finding shooting lanes, etc. However, if the defensemen were able to hold the zone and move the puck it would certainly help.

All that being said, there have been some glimmers of really great play on this team. Getting Frattin going is huge. Gregoire has been very good as expected, and Hextall is looking better than expected. Duncan is Duncan too. We need Kozek to get going, and we need better play out of Watkins and VV (not that they've been terrible). Trupper wasn't doing much prior to the Cornell game before he got hurt, and Malone has yet to impress me whatsoever.

We miss "Mr. +/-" back there on the blueline...

I'll give Marto the benefit of the doubt, as the kid is an awesome skater. Marto and Genoway both can move their feet. The other dmen aren't where they need to be with their skating. Jones isn't a great skater, but I will give him that he is ridiculously strong on his skates and just punishes guys along the end boards.

I continue to believe that our shortcomings at D are driving our shortcomings on the season.

The Sioux have always put together a team that is explosive in transition. In order to do that effectively the dmen have to make the right passes. Thus far they seem to be playing hot potato with the puck and not getting it on the tape to a forward who can do something with it. I don't care if you're Sidney Crosby, if the passes are in your skates or behind you or you've either had to slow down or are just getting going, you aren't going to be able to make things happen like you otherwise could.

Additonally our pp and offensive zone play also lacks due to the play of the d. As a forward you are always taught to use your points for help in the offensive zone. They should be a safety valve. If you're working the boards down low and you get doubled, someone is open, and more often than not the "helper" that is doubling you is the opponent's winger coming down. That should mean an open point man. If the d can't hold the zone, that help is lost.

There is plenty of blame to go around, waiting too long, not finding shooting lanes, etc. However, if the defensemen were able to hold the zone and move the puck it would certainly help.

All that being said, there have been some glimmers of really great play on this team. Getting Frattin going is huge. Gregoire has been very good as expected, and Hextall is looking better than expected. Duncan is Duncan too. We need Kozek to get going, and we need better play out of Watkins and VV (not that they've been terrible). Trupper wasn't doing much prior to the Cornell game before he got hurt, and Malone has yet to impress me whatsoever.

Thank you. I actually agree on a lot of what you said. Malone doesn't do anything -- why he consistently plays and guys like Mario and Toews sit baffles me. I hope last weekend was Frattin stepping up into the goal scorer he NEEDS to be. Trupper...oh Trupper... why can't you not get injured? I miss Finley. Still.

Ummm. yeah his physical side fine...but last I checked he has no points the entire friggin year. So you are not physical, and not providing any offense...well. He and Lapoint are a big part of the reason this team is where it is.

I thought LaPoint was supposed to be such a highly regarded recruit?? A year and a half and I don't see it. He is soft as can be in our own end and does nothing so far on offense...Come on LaPoint take this as a challenge...Let's GO!

True, just look at our games against the Michigan schools last weekend. Our D never bumps them off the puck or out of position.

We miss "Mr. +/-" back there on the blueline...

When Finley comes back it will be a huge shot in the arm for the team. It reminds me of the Gophers in '03 when G. Potulny was hurt in the first game of the season and was gone until February. He was clearly the team leader and when he came back it re-energized the entire line up. I could see something similar happening with Finley.

When Finley comes back it will be a huge shot in the arm for the team. It reminds me of the Gophers in '03 when G. Potulny was hurt in the first game of the season and was gone until February. He was clearly the team leader and when he came back it re-energized the entire line up. I could see something similar happening with Finley.

Ummm...when's that? Ever? Never? Based on reports and Hak's comments, and working with people that have/had concussions, I'd put the over/under at later rather than sooner.

That is a good analolgy. There will be a few of the haters that won't be excited to see Big Joe back on the ice but its obvious that Finley is the glue this team is missing and missing a lot. I just hope he comes back before the Wisconsin series. he, he, he... :glare: