SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD Bulldogs

Sioux27

I, too, would like to congratulate the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs for pulling off a fantastic upset in Allendale, Michigan, where it's no easy place to play as Fighting Sioux fans well know. Congratulations for representing the former North Central Conference and the current NSIC as well. You can believe that as a Fighting Sioux graduate I will be pulling for the Bulldogs to go all the way. For those who want a blog for the game go to the Duluth News-Tribune to see how the game evolved. Bulldog defense held the Lakers to a pair of early field goals while scoring a first half TD themselves for a 7-6 Bullodg halftime advantage. Then the Dogs scored but missed the PAT to make it 13-6. Very late in the game the Lakers scored, made the extra point and tied it 13-13 to send it into overtime. After a scoreless first overtime the Dogs put it in the end zone but again missed the PAT. Dogs stopped the Lakers on their second try in overtime to win the game 19-13 to earn a whole bunch of respect from this NCC-NSIC fan. Go Bulldogs!!!

I saw the game via the Grand Valley station and both defenses just kicked ass.

UMD ran the ball really good in the 1st half but didnt do squat the 2nd half

GVSU didnt do much at all in the first half...their QB at one point was 2 for 11

2nd half the defenses took over....but at the end it you could see the refs might have wanted GVSU to score.....couple cheap penalties near the end.

The GVSU kicker missed 3 FG's including one in OT

But it was a great game...even better when UMD got the interception at the end

It was great to hear "he passes....intercepted and that's the end of the Lakers season" from the GVSU announcers :glare:

this doesn't make anyone just a little bit sick? I'm am happy for the bulldogs but bitter because we have been so close the past few years and couldn't get by GV. I wonder how good they were this year after loosing their QB. I doubt they had much of challenge going through their conference and probably didn't have a tough game until they played duluth.

this doesn't make anyone just a little bit sick? I'm am happy for the bulldogs but bitter because we have been so close the past few years and couldn't get by GV. I wonder how good they were this year after loosing their QB. I doubt they had much of challenge going through their conference and probably didn't have a tough game until they played duluth.

I understand what you are saying and I have been thinking about this since Saturday as well, but I have come to the conclusion that the Bulldogs got it done when given the opportunity and our boys just didn't play well enough and didn't deserve to win those games against the Lakers. We lost games in the regular season that put us on the road at Allendale instead of getting to play in the Alerus Center. And when we went to Lubbers Stadium, we got off to horrible starts and played like we were intimidated and didn't have any confidence in ourselves. I do think the 2007 team was really banged up and just didn't have the horses to pull it off, but the 2005 and 2006 teams (especially the 2005 team) were tremendous disappointments. This could have been the greatest era of Sioux football ever and for a variety of reasons it just didn't happen. The Bulldogs proved on Saturday that the Lakers are not unbeatable and that "Tradition doesn't graduate" is a bunch of hot air. Let's hope that when we get opportunities to win NCAA DI FCS titles, we don't squander them.

My 2 Cents

Just wanted to mention that there are two kids from the GF/EGF schools on the roster. Riley Lealos is from EGF and plays D-line and Brad Just is from Red River HS playing FS. Both are great kids and now have an opportunity to play for a national championship. I am not sure how much Lealos plays and Brad is a reserve, but nobody can take away the experience they will have this weekend. Good luck to the Bulldogs and to our area kids!

I understand what you are saying and I have been thinking about this since Saturday as well, but I have come to the conclusion that the Bulldogs got it done when given the opportunity and our boys just didn't play well enough and didn't deserve to win those games against the Lakers. We lost games in the regular season that put us on the road at Allendale instead of getting to play in the Alerus Center. And when we went to Lubbers Stadium, we got off to horrible starts and played like we were intimidated and didn't have any confidence in ourselves. I do think the 2007 team was really banged up and just didn't have the horses to pull it off, but the 2005 and 2006 teams (especially the 2005 team) were tremendous disappointments. This could have been the greatest era of Sioux football ever and for a variety of reasons it just didn't happen. The Bulldogs proved on Saturday that the Lakers are not unbeatable and that "Tradition doesn't graduate" is a bunch of hot air. Let's hope that when we get opportunities to win NCAA DI FCS titles, we don't squander them.

My 2 Cents

2005 was a blown opportunity. UND had the best team in the country that year but it all fell apart after that loss to Omaha. For all the other years that Lennon did a great job getting more that he should have out of the talent at hand, I thought 2005 was his poorest coaching job with the way that team fell apart at the end of the year.

Congratulations to Duluth. What a turnaround! I'll hope that the player who yelled "watch while I crucify your mother" last year on the sideline after halftime graduated and wasn't a part of that.

I feel bad for NW Missouri State. Four straight years to the Division II Championship and no wins. Sounds a lot like a hockey team I know.

How much was not having to play UND and USD and UNO worth to UMD this year?

Those three games normally cause nagging injuries at a minimum.

I wondered if the old NSIC power, now with NCC experience, and back into the NSIC, wouldn't be able to do big things.

Congratulations to Duluth. What a turnaround! I'll hope that the player who yelled "watch while I crucify your mother" last year on the sideline after halftime graduated and wasn't a part of that.

I feel bad for NW Missouri State. Four straight years to the Division II Championship and no wins. Sounds a lot like a hockey team I know.

This is a little bit different. We have lost the last four Frozen Four semifinal games, not championship games. It's almost as bad, but not quite.

NW Missouri is now the official "Buffalo Bills of Division II Football". They had a young team this year, so hopefully they'll get another chance to win one. There is not much worse in sports than to finish "Runner Up". I have heard NHL players say that it's better to miss the playoffs than to get to the Stanley Cup Finals and lose. I would have to say I understand that sentiment completely and I might feel the same way if I was in that situation.

This is a little bit different. We have lost the last four Frozen Four semifinal games, not championship games.

2005: UND lost to DU in Columbus in the championship game (after defeating Minnesota in the semis).

2006: Lose to BC in Milwaukee in semis

2007: Lose to BC in St. Louis in semis

2008: Lose to BC in Denver in semis

Geez I hate teams that wear maroon and gold (tip of cap to UMD today).

I don't know about apocolypse but it is a definite indication of the slide that D2 football is on. I'm now watching the UNI v Richmond game. Much better. I'm glad we moved on.

The announcers kept talking about the turnaround that UMD made this year. I wish they had announcers with D2 knowledge because they would have then been able to understand and talk about the reason for the turnaround, not having to play an NCC schedule.

I, too, would like to congratulate the UMD Bulldogs for their win in the D2 national championship game against Northwest Missouri State. The Bulldogs represented the old NCC very well. At the half in the FCS semifinal game Northern Iowa, formerly of the NCC, trails Richmond 7-3. Hope the Panthers can come back and win as well.

I don't know about apocolypse but it is a definite indication of the slide that D2 football is on. I'm now watching the UNI v Richmond game. Much better. I'm glad we moved on.

The announcers kept talking about the turnaround that UMD made this year. I wish they had announcers with D2 knowledge because they would have then been able to understand and talk about the reason for the turnaround, not having to play an NCC schedule.

I could not agree more. UMD would have had to play @ UND, @ USD and @ Central Wash this year not to mention Omaha. I would bet alot of money they would have at a minimum 3 losses in conference and would not have even made the playoffs. But it was great to see them win it.