SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD Bulldogs

Sioux27

You guys happen to forget that UMD DID beat Grand Valley State. The team that UND had struggled with the last two years in DII football. I don't care if GVSU had a guy or two missing from that game, UMD DID BEAT THEM IN 2OT.

I just think that we need to start looking towards the future in FCS play and not dwell in the past as to "Oh the NSIC won a national title." or "Oh the Bulldogs would have had 3 losses in the conference this year if it was the NCC still." Point being, they won and went an impressive 15-0 while doing it. Quit dwelling on the past and be happy that UND is FINALLY moving onto Division I status! :lol:

After watching the game I have to believe that UMD may have won the league of it was the same as last year. I don't believe that they would have been undefeated but I was impressed with them. The were different this year compared to last, mainly due to a balance on offense.

Remember that Northwest MO State team that they beat in the finals beat UNO 42-0 in omaha earlier in the year. In my opinion they would have lost one or at most two games with "last years" schedule and most certainly would have been in the play-offs.

It obivious that UMD was much better this year than last and im not so certain that we (UND) were a little worse.

Lastly, let me say congrats to UMD anyteam that can get it done at Grand Valley deserves props and to finish the deal and win a National Championship my hats off to you.

• 2 months later...
I could not agree more. UMD would have had to play @ UND, @ USD and @ Central Wash this year not to mention Omaha. I would bet alot of money they would have at a minimum 3 losses in conference and would not have even made the playoffs. But it was great to see them win it.

The NCC was so good in it's hey day that the team that made the playoffs was going to go to the championship. IMO, actually getting to the playoffs was as big of an accomplishment because conference play was insane. UMD couldn't get past UND. How about the NCC version with NDSU and Northern Colorado's 11 combined championships. They would have been lucky to finish .500 back then.

• 1 month later...

God I knew I shouldn't have looked. Talk about opening old wounds.

this doesn't make anyone just a little bit sick? I'm am happy for the bulldogs but bitter because we have been so close the past few years and couldn't get by GV. I wonder how good they were this year after loosing their QB. I doubt they had much of challenge going through their conference and probably didn't have a tough game until they played duluth.

Yeah, I was sure sick about it. Our idiot coach dumbed down the playbook to about 4 different plays and we still came that close to advancing dispite the worst playcalling I've ever seen from the Lakers. You gotta actually hand off the ball occasionally to make people bite on the play fake so that the fade to the corner will be open chuck!!! ??????:angry::lol:

Hell, UMD wasn't really all that flashy. Did nothing but run right up the gut with just enough of passing game to keep the Defense honest. They play the way that would make the old Big Ten coaches like Woody and Bo happy to watch.

There have been several articles in Minnesota newspapers this past week about UMD running back Isaac Odim, who played a huge role in UMD's turnaround from last year, and in their national championship run. Here's one that was in the Strib yesterday. Interesting reading.
Interesting, Odim was almost a Cardinal. Sure glad they didn't wanna take a chance on him. The boy is a LOAD.