SiouxSports.com Forum

Wow

sIoUxPeRsTiTiOuS

I realize that many people take many different UND sports very seriously to one degree or another. No matter what happens during the transition and even long thereafter, I hope we can all promise to each other on here that we will NEVER do what bisonville is doing to Mertens and Bibeau. Being critical of a college athlete is one thing, but making personal attacks and even mentioning family members is completely out of bounds in my opinion.

Like I said, no matter what the future holds, I hope we can all make a promise NOT to do what they have done and are doing to Mertens and Bibeau all year at bisonville. I feel terrible for those kids to have to read that crap.

I realize that many people take many different UND sports very seriously to one degree or another. No matter what happens during the transition and even long thereafter, I hope we can all promise to each other on here that we will NEVER do what bisonville is doing to Mertens and Bibeau. Being critical of a college athlete is one thing, but making personal attacks and even mentioning family members is completely out of bounds in my opinion.

Like I said, no matter what the future holds, I hope we can all make a promise NOT to do what they have done and are doing to Mertens and Bibeau all year at bisonville. I feel terrible for those kids to have to read that crap.

I agree 100%, but I would hope those kids don't even bother to read that stuff. Athletes and coaches should stay off of message boards like this; you'll either hear yourself be elevated to deity status or get ripped to shreads. I hope those Bisonville posters can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning because I don't think I could.

It is just a game, played by young men who work there tails off. We get a chance to buy tickets and be entertained. What is happening down south (IMO) is a disgrace and completely out of bounds and totally uncalled for.....I also agree with your post.

Similar banter can be found almost anytime in the hockey forum, so let's not get too holier than thou about things.

It is just a game, played by young men who work there tails off. We get a chance to buy tickets and be entertained. What is happening down south (IMO) is a disgrace and completely out of bounds and totally uncalled for.....I also agree with your post.

Practically the worst thing that happened for NDSU fans was for their team to be wildly successful in the transition years and then lay an egg the first playoff eligible year. They were embolded by unbelievable last second wins and especially their win against Minnesota (which doesn't compare to what Cal Poly did to Wisconsin - even though Poly lost). For UND, the talent and depth levels need to be built up, and then expectations can rise.

Next year is likely to be difficult for both UND and NDSU. UND has loss at TT, likely loss vs. Cal Poly, and difficult road games @ S F Austin, UC-Davis, Northwestern St., Weber St, and SUU. The Sioux will likely only be favored at home vs USD, Idaho St, a non-scholarship IAA school (hopefully, to replace Iona), and a DII school. A 4-7 record isn't out of the question with that schedule, while going 6-5 or 7-4 would be reasonably successful in building up the program.

Not sure of NDSU's 3rd OOC game, but in 2009 they'll have likely losses @ Iowa St, @ Sam Houston, @ SIU, @ SDSU, possibly @ WIU, and a possible home game loss against UNI. A 4-7 record wouldn't be out of the question for them either, 5-6 or 6-5 most likely, and if they went 7-4 they should consider it a success.

Similar banter can be found almost anytime in the hockey forum, so let's not get too holier than thou about things.

Gee, I hope not. I haven't been to Bisonville in years, so am just comparing to the original poster's description, but we sure try to quash personal attacks on players and their families in the forums here.

Being critical of a college athlete is one thing, but making personal attacks and even mentioning family members is completely out of bounds in my opinion.

I agree, that's exactly the line I like to see drawn. This board certainly contains criticism of the athletes' and coaches' performance when teams do poorly (e.g.), which -- though even that upsets some people -- is to be expected at this level. However, we try to keep it confined to public topics; if we're missing big personal attacks on players' families, please point them out! We do what we can, but really rely on all of you to help keep posting standards high.

The "attacks" on players' families are being massively exaggerated. Here's another BV poster's explanation of the situation:

"Mertens told McFeely that his mother is bothered by all the negative talk of him on the internet, so we know she haunts these boards. Also, there were several posters with no real history here who suddenly started proclaiming him the greatest thing in green and gold."

From there, a couple posters would jokingly ask if another poster was Mertens' mom if that poster attacked someone critizing Nick. Never were any insults actually directed at Nick's mom, only at a few overly aggressive Mertens supporters(if one of them really was Nick's mom, she never identified herself). Is this type of humor dark? Yes it is. But it isn't exactly a happy time in Bisonville right now.

The "attacks" on players' families are being massively exaggerated. Here's another BV poster's explanation of the situation:

"Mertens told McFeely that his mother is bothered by all the negative talk of him on the internet, so we know she haunts these boards. Also, there were several posters with no real history here who suddenly started proclaiming him the greatest thing in green and gold."

From there, a couple posters would jokingly ask if another poster was Mertens' mom if that poster attacked someone critizing Nick. Never were any insults actually directed at Nick's mom, only at a few overly aggressive Mertens supporters(if one of them really was Nick's mom, she never identified herself). Is this type of humor dark? Yes it is. But it isn't exactly a happy time in Bisonville right now.

I understand sales of pitchforks and torches have SKYROCKETED in Fargo since Saturday :lol:

c'mon Hammersmith - even you have to admit it's really embarassing what's going on over there right now...'su has always put so much emphasis on the STUDENT/Athlete. They are kids supposedly getting an education while playing sports on the side - not professional athletes who should be run out of town if they don't perform to your ridiculously high expectations.

I understand sales of pitchforks and torches have SKYROCKETED in Fargo since Saturday :lol:

c'mon Hammersmith - even you have to admit it's really embarassing what's going on over there right now...'su has always put so much emphasis on the STUDENT/Athlete. They are kids supposedly getting an education while playing sports on the side - not professional athletes who should be run out of town if they don't perform to your ridiculously high expectations.

It really comes from the attitude they've developed on that board. It started this summer with the pretty disgusting personal attacks they made on a whole host of UND athletes. Since it was our kids and not theirs, the moderators turned a blind eye to it and set the precedent that personal attacks against student athletes was entirely acceptable. It was only a logical next step that when things started heading south for them to start attacking their own players. I know that I've been no saint as far as my dialogue on this site and on others but I have always tried to avoid attacking individual players on opponents and on our team. I've been critical of coaches for both the Sioux and for other squads in the past but I think their is a big difference between attacking college kids and attacking highly paid coaches and officials.

It really comes from the attitude they've developed on that board. It started this summer with the pretty disgusting personal attacks they made on a whole host of UND athletes. Since it was our kids and not theirs, the moderators turned a blind eye to it and set the precedent that personal attacks against student athletes was entirely acceptable. It was only a logical next step that when things started heading south for them to start attacking their own players. I know that I've been no saint as far as my dialogue on this site and on others but I have always tried to avoid attacking individual players on opponents and on our team. I've been critical of coaches for both the Sioux and for other squads in the past but I think their is a big difference between attacking college kids and attacking highly paid coaches and officials.

So what's for breakfast at Chicken Bisonville? :lol:

Answer: Your own...

fried-egg-stress-toy.jpg

Practically the worst thing that happened for NDSU fans was for their team to be wildly successful in the transition years and then lay an egg the first playoff eligible year. They were embolded by unbelievable last second wins and especially their win against Minnesota (which doesn't compare to what Cal Poly did to Wisconsin - even though Poly lost). For UND, the talent and depth levels need to be built up, and then expectations can rise.

Next year is likely to be difficult for both UND and NDSU. UND has loss at TT, likely loss vs. Cal Poly, and difficult road games @ S F Austin, UC-Davis, Northwestern St., Weber St, and SUU. The Sioux will likely only be favored at home vs USD, Idaho St, a non-scholarship IAA school (hopefully, to replace Iona), and a DII school. A 4-7 record isn't out of the question with that schedule, while going 6-5 or 7-4 would be reasonably successful in building up the program.

Not sure of NDSU's 3rd OOC game, but in 2009 they'll have likely losses @ Iowa St, @ Sam Houston, @ SIU, @ SDSU, possibly @ WIU, and a possible home game loss against UNI. A 4-7 record wouldn't be out of the question for them either, 5-6 or 6-5 most likely, and if they went 7-4 they should consider it a success.

Shows how little you know about NDSU and how much you might wish it to be true. With better play out of 2 positions (kicker & qb) we'd be in the playoffs. By the way no one trashes coaches & players more than this board.

Shows how little you know about NDSU and how much you might wish it to be true. With better play out of 2 positions (kicker & qb) we'd be in the playoffs. By the way no one trashes coaches & players more than this board.

"What you

Those are two pretty important positions aren

By the way no one trashes coaches & players more than this board.

:lol:

1) You must not get out much

2) That's a bit of a straw man. No one was saying there shouldn't be criticism of coaches and players. Fans here, as anywhere, unapologetically praise teams that do well and criticize those that do poorly. The original poster was decrying personal attacks on players and their families, which we actually work pretty hard to prevent here.

It's just not my personal style to criticize individual Sioux athletes on a public forum (as is true of some other posters but not others), but I certainly don't think it realistic to expect no one else to.

I can't say I've spent much time at all on the hockey forum but if that type of crap is going on there then those people should be embarassed of themselves.

Unfortunately it happens on the hockey boards as well but to be fair (think about the attacks on the goalie), I don't it is nearly as bad as the attacks that are occurring on Bisonville as they are extremely personal that posters have pointed out that players parent and POTENTIAL recruits view the board and may turn them off. Constructive criticism is one thing but the personal attacks should be out-of-bounds.

Shows how little you know about NDSU and how much you might wish it to be true. With better play out of 2 positions (kicker & qb) we'd be in the playoffs.

But your not. HaHa!!! Do they teach you things like that at school there? To bad everyteam has to field those two positions. That has to be one of the funniest statements I have read. With better play out of two positions, thats funny. Gotta play with the guys that are out there Dano!!

Shows how little you know about NDSU and how much you might wish it to be true. With better play out of 2 positions (kicker & qb) we'd be in the playoffs.

So Dano, which games will the Bison win next year?

My response: beat WIU, but lose @IaSU, @Sam Houston, @ SDSU, @ SIU, at home against UNI: 6-5

BTW, this year had NDSU losing @ Wyo, @ UNI, and one of the three other MVFC road games (YSU, ISU, MSU): 8-3

Was your prediction 11-0, or 10-1? :)

Never dreamed they'd lose to WIU and SDSU at home. :lol::D